What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Cleaning your glass pipe

bigAl25

Veteran
I don't know what took me so long, but I always used the toxic rubbing alcohol to clean my glass pipe. It came to me over the holidays after I poured some Knobs Creek over ice. Hell use some cheap whiskey along with your pipe cleaners and don't have that kill you shit left that took minutes of water rinse to clean out afterwards. I used Canadian Mist this afternoon, next will be Jim Beam. I refuse to use my Woodford Reserve, Knobs Creek, Crown Royal, or Evan Williams single barrel though. I'm sure some of you had already figured this out, but I thought I'd share this tidbit to brighten our legalization future.:peacock:

Levitationofme

I bast with hot water then use Alcohol and Kosher salt, plug it up and shake.
Quick hot water rinse. Perhaps a few drops of Knob's Creek in the pipe/bong after its clean just for the hell of it would be an improvement :biggrin:

bigAl25

Veteran
Loaded that cleaned up glass pipe with some wonderfully fragrant Papaya and damn it tasted as good as it smells. I will now clean it much more often.

G

I have 3 glass chillums in rotation. One of them is always soaking in a small jar of ZEP. Its a citrus degreaser. You can find it at Home Depot or similar. I put the chillum in the jar in the evening. In the morning I turn on the faucet to hot. Then I take the chillum out of the jar of ZEP. Then I hold under the stream of hot water to rinse off. Even if the glass was very dirty the same scenario would apply.
I use NO elbow grease and the ZEP is going on 1 year of constant use.

shithawk420

Veteran
You can't be serious.that's just a waste of liquor.you can't tell me 80 proof,40% ABV is better than 90% or even 70% iso.I'd rather taste my weed,not liquor.that's for drinking not inhaling

Green Squall

I don't know what took me so long, but I always used the toxic rubbing alcohol to clean my glass pipe. It came to me over the holidays after I poured some Knobs Creek over ice. Hell use some cheap whiskey along with your pipe cleaners and don't have that kill you shit left that took minutes of water rinse to clean out afterwards. I used Canadian Mist this afternoon, next will be Jim Beam. I refuse to use my Woodford Reserve, Knobs Creek, Crown Royal, or Evan Williams single barrel though. I'm sure some of you had already figured this out, but I thought I'd share this tidbit to brighten our legalization future.:peacock:

LOL how high are you? Do not ever waste whiskey like that again! 91% iso + coarse salt for cleaning glass. And then thoroughly rinse it.

MintyMick

I know one person who once cleaned their glass with hydrogen peroxide, after having a wtf moment I bought them some salt and rubbing alcohol - and yes, I know rubbing alcohol is poisonous. But there isn't any left after rinsing with water.

Dopeydude

If just the bowl is dirty I take the stem and lay it on a paper towel in the microwave, heat for approx. 25 seconds. Pick it up with the towel so ya don't burn your dick Skinner's. Hot residue wipes out with a tooth pick.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Last couple washes have been with boiling water.

Fill the tea pot, boil, pour boiling water down bong/pipe while its propped up in the sink so it wont fall over & break. Oils/resins quickly heat & dislodge flowing with the boiling water down the drain.

I'll get out the Iso+salt for stubborn stuff.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Grunge Off glass cleaner. Reusable, citric acid base, 24 hour soak makes glass brand new. No pipe cleaners, and the shit is reusable. Just pour it back in the container. So simple and easy.

NWNR

If you want to use something all natural I have used lemon juice and sea salt. The lemon juice is acidic and the salt is abrasive. Giving it a shake or two and you have a clean piece. Wash with water and let dry.

I'm with green squall, save the whiskey for a cold night...or breakfast lol.

LostTribe

Premium user

Thats Alcohol ABUSE, Man!!!!

Save the Dranks and use 91% ISO fool!!!! Add a bit of sea salt and rinse out under high pressure hot running water. If you keep them clean they dont take as work to clean out.

I've always dipped in boiling water with tongs, real quick, then rinse in 91 iso, but iso by itself is usually all I need, I just like a squeaky clean

shaughnny

I squirt a good shot of dawn dish soap into the bottom of the bong, then I get the hot water running in the sink....I run the hot water through the bong until the water runs clear, then I empty out the water and add 99% iso alcohol. Plug the ends with wetter paper towel then shake the living hell out of it for 2 minutes. Let it sit for an additional 15 minutes then pour the rubbing alcohol off and flush the bong again with HOT water. Dry your bong, fill with some herb and blaze.

MrBungle

I use some stuff called bling, or formula 420/710 (one of my guilty pleasures)... it works great .. if im out of those I use 91% iso and coarse salt and a good shake with a hot water rinse.. good to go

Jhhnn

Veteran
I have 3 glass chillums in rotation. One of them is always soaking in a small jar of ZEP. Its a citrus degreaser. You can find it at Home Depot or similar. I put the chillum in the jar in the evening. In the morning I turn on the faucet to hot. Then I take the chillum out of the jar of ZEP. Then I hold under the stream of hot water to rinse off. Even if the glass was very dirty the same scenario would apply.
I use NO elbow grease and the ZEP is going on 1 year of constant use.

Zep citrus cleaner actually works better if you add water. Works great at 10:1 for spray cleaner & most everything. I use it at ~4:1 in an asparagus pot to clean bubblers & the rest-

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52773&pictureid=1459379

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52773&pictureid=1460370

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=52773&pictureid=1460369

The basket makes retrieving the small parts a snap. Overnight works great unless they're really gooky. Just rinse in the sink. I've considered putting it on the stove, bringing it up to a simmer & shutting it off, letting it cool overnight for really ugly stuff. The solution loses its ooomph after, I dunno, many months, anyway, so it goes down the drain & a fresh batch goes in the pot.

G

Thanks for the reminder about dilution! BTW I use a Barbasol barbers glass disinfectant container for my smaller pieces.