What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What's The Oldest Clone in Your Stable?

Finding serious growers to share with is hard. I've asked so many people to define photosynthesis before consulting them. Not a lot of growers even care to acknowledge what process they are getting in the way of.

I remember an old friend who always "wanted to grow" as a team. He never would take initiative. Now he's on the internet pretending to be a retired dogecoin millionaire working for a cannabis extraction lab. Spends his time fighting with gender fluid kids on Facebook. Most people I meet are on a similar life management system. Adding weed to the equation doesn't change the fact most people are flakes.

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
Most get a 6 month trial period. Get past that, and a 3 year stay as newbies is likely. That's when I decide if things are really keepers, or were just adding some diversity to my collection. I don't keep track to be honest, and have no real idea which my oldest keeper is. No more than 20 though. Even the very best things get tiresome eventually. Or in 20 years, somebody has found a way of improving it. Or it's simply pushed out by new things joining the ranks. I only like a few keepers, and a few decent plants to add some diversity, that don't quite topple a keeper and take it's place.

3 years is short stay. 10 years is a good run. Longer than 10 years, is a star performer. I have only two over 10yo

Wuachuma

I had Gooey mom in 2015/16 and passed her around before I had to move. 40yr old clone. Its interesting how she grew to dwarf size, but was full grown when I outcrossed her.
I hope she is still around, the people I passed her to lost her to mislabeling.

Wuachuma

ive got the

exodus cheese 80s/90s
bluez/liverz 80s/90s
amnesia core cut 80s/90s
chem91 skunkva early 90s?
cherry ak47 (debatable) 90s

im a fan of the skunks.. some of the best terps ive had have come from skunk being in their lineage...
Awesome to see the Cheese is still around.
I got it in 2014/15 from the UK, the Exodus cut.
Unfortunately, it was obvious she spent many generations in synthetic grows. So I spent a year or two rejeuvenating her in organics with probiotic microbes. Once I got her healthy, I spread her around the West Coast and Colorado. I lost contact with those people, so I'm not sure if it still around here in the states.

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Awesome to see the Cheese is still around.
I got it in 2014/15 from the UK, the Exodus cut.
Unfortunately, it was obvious she spent many generations in synthetic grows. So I spent a year or two rejeuvenating her in organics with probiotic microbes. Once I got her healthy, I spread her around the West Coast and Colorado. I lost contact with those people, so I'm not sure if it still around here in the states.

depends .... their is only 1 real exodus...

lots of people claim to have exodus but its in the final taste where she shines above all the others ..

yh 30 yrs old...

full

Wuachuma

Big smiles here. Im glad to see she is still around.
Funny enough, I never flowered her. I only vegged and cloned and vegged and cloned her for the community. Absolute skunk funk smells when she preflowered. I always assumed Id just be able to reach out for her in the future after I moved...that was 5 yrs ago. LOL
Those leaves look very familiar :) - also similar to a couple phenos I found in 1978 Skunk I worked. There were many phenos in the 78 Skunk, but my favorites in there were cheese and the green/sour apple. They outshined the RKS pheno in effect.

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Funny enough, I never flowered her. I only vegged and cloned and vegged and cloned her for the community. Absolute skunk funk smells when she preflowered. I always assumed Id just be able to reach out for her in the future after I moved...that was 5 yrs ago. LOL
Those leaves look very familiar :) - also similar to a couple phenos I found in 1978 Skunk I worked. There were many phenos in the 78 Skunk, but my favorites in there were cheese and the green/sour apple. They outshined the RKS pheno in effect.

yh she does ....

there are a few variations of cheese in the uk but none can match or equal the power of the true exodus clone mainly because the mainly originated from her..

the thing i like most about the exodus is she doesnt produce pollen .. you can only breed onto her..

stinks

nobody does cheese like the uk..

cheese (exodus) is a skunk#1 pheno from sensi seeds in the late 80s early 90s

was picked and selected by the "exodus crew" here in the uk and they were very anti-establishment (babylon,) and was always passed out at raves and events in pairs ... 1 to keep and 1 to pass on ...

the plant was never meant to be sold or proffited off as it goes against what the original cut stands for... the plant was exactly that .. EXODUS ... people coming together in unity through music freedom and nature in exodus out of the babylon system...

the true exodus clone has a different high to all the other cheese variables as you will know if you have smoked her .... she grows like an indica but has very good sativa properties ...

the same can be said for stardawg and the amnesia clones.... they hit different which is what makes them elite clones and they stand out against all the others....

exodus cheese....

light green neon buds that penertrate brick walls .. but her taste and terp profile is 1 that resonates so hard the same as my sheff blues clone you will never forget for her the rest of your days ... 🙏

full

full

full

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Yup there is only one exo...Also been in the library for 15 years now abouts..She does make pollen though, but she is a bitch to get to turn but you can get her to, I've had full blown exo males a few times..But her pollen is not fertile, only had few seeds ever take and never fertile...Its like the microseed you get in the real cut when you take her full term, but never any seed from her own random pollen that looks like a seed to make her unmarketable. Shame I miss running her, she's been packed away for about a year and a half for me... Mainly running CBD for production and running pheno hunts in THC for clone supply to licences and hopefully soon to be flower for smaller german market. So miss those years of greenhouses full of exo in the morning sunrise when the temps start rising and the air gets thick with the rank...

The best terps also for me have skunk, or common ancestors in them, colombo, old affie, thai...Our haze and skunk crosses...I have a simply irresistable clone that is just haze haze haze in terps in the sandlewood spice background citrus sense, very SSH like terps wise, super super loud and very sativa fluffy in form, anyway, crossed her with old sams skunk x widow plant that leaned into the old skunk fluffy form, and one of those girls is so RANK offensive roadkill and haze but such a delectable smoke, loud AF, loud as they get, fluffy and leafy but resin is superb by any standard and buds are large and flower time is 9 weeks done, very haze leaning, soaring stupifying high with skunk power and all that stuff in smell that was bred out of modern weed and also an in built chemical mold resistance, untouched in all conditions I've grown her and also pretty much left alone by pests except outside maybe and aphid or two hiding at the very tip of a leaf trying to get as far away from the stank as possible... Also 91chem crosses that I have, huge fist sized blockhead buds with minimal trim, beautiful form, though resin not up to modern standard, though smell in bag..you cant contain that shit..it so rank loud offensive..from rotting dustbin to meat to rancid astringent cleaning chemicals...but less resin by far compared to some modern or even old stuff..so there are chemicals way louder than terps, or terps, that bred out modern stuff for sure...

Also old thai leaning stuff as far as flavours go..thats where its at..old mangos and papaya and sweet and sour tropical fruits and all those creamy and others..the terps off the chem flyers were rad..chem rank mixed with thai pineapples or mangos or tropical shit...and monstrous buds..if they were botritus resistant you'd almost tick every box.

Cheese is my oldest clone, though I have genetics from seed, from 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's etc..and yes the golden age of dope was the late 90's early 2000's I'd guess, and the plants from 70's 80's and others blow most modern stuff away in terms of resistance and LOUD factor...The most modern stuff is getting there, along with my bros and my crosses of old stuff with good modern stuff, maybe lacking terps, some modern stuff though looks ridiculous but for a lot yield is low and terps leave a lot to be desired, some standouts though are found. Things went a bit stale a few years ago when it was all cookies cookies cookies, but nowadays there is so much stuff being crossed and searched through that lots of terpy stuff being found, larger yields being selected for etc..

Well grown blues or cheese is a treat to smoke, most who haven't don't realize how good weed can taste..I've been to expos and given the guys from the dam and cali joints to smoke and had them raving as to its of the best weed they've ever smoked, only to laugh at the looks on their faces that they're smoking joints of trim sugar leaf I'd normally have blasted or hashed..LOL..They'd be like fuuuuuuck what is this shit?! What is this weed we are smoking...I'd be like its not weed, its leaf...LOL Ahh cheese

Petrochemical

I've been reading about clones being kept for a long time and have just taken some clone copies recently to preserve them.

Here's my question to you all.

Ok, I was just wondering what is or was your oldest clone?
Its a cut called murica
Youd be confused trust me

skotty

horticulturist
Veteran
Yup there is only one exo...Also been in the library for 15 years now abouts..She does make pollen though, but she is a bitch to get to turn but you can get her to, I've had full blown exo males a few times..But her pollen is not fertile, only had few seeds ever take and never fertile...Its like the microseed you get in the real cut when you take her full term, but never any seed from her own random pollen that looks like a seed to make her unmarketable. Shame I miss running her, she's been packed away for about a year and a half for me... Mainly running CBD for production and running pheno hunts in THC for clone supply to licences and hopefully soon to be flower for smaller german market. So miss those years of greenhouses full of exo in the morning sunrise when the temps start rising and the air gets thick with the rank...

The best terps also for me have skunk, or common ancestors in them, colombo, old affie, thai...Our haze and skunk crosses...I have a simply irresistable clone that is just haze haze haze in terps in the sandlewood spice background citrus sense, very SSH like terps wise, super super loud and very sativa fluffy in form, anyway, crossed her with old sams skunk x widow plant that leaned into the old skunk fluffy form, and one of those girls is so RANK offensive roadkill and haze but such a delectable smoke, loud AF, loud as they get, fluffy and leafy but resin is superb by any standard and buds are large and flower time is 9 weeks done, very haze leaning, soaring stupifying high with skunk power and all that stuff in smell that was bred out of modern weed and also an in built chemical mold resistance, untouched in all conditions I've grown her and also pretty much left alone by pests except outside maybe and aphid or two hiding at the very tip of a leaf trying to get as far away from the stank as possible... Also 91chem crosses that I have, huge fist sized blockhead buds with minimal trim, beautiful form, though resin not up to modern standard, though smell in bag..you cant contain that shit..it so rank loud offensive..from rotting dustbin to meat to rancid astringent cleaning chemicals...but less resin by far compared to some modern or even old stuff..so there are chemicals way louder than terps, or terps, that bred out modern stuff for sure...

Also old thai leaning stuff as far as flavours go..thats where its at..old mangos and papaya and sweet and sour tropical fruits and all those creamy and others..the terps off the chem flyers were rad..chem rank mixed with thai pineapples or mangos or tropical shit...and monstrous buds..if they were botritus resistant you'd almost tick every box.

Cheese is my oldest clone, though I have genetics from seed, from 70's, 80's, 90's, 2000's etc..and yes the golden age of dope was the late 90's early 2000's I'd guess, and the plants from 70's 80's and others blow most modern stuff away in terms of resistance and LOUD factor...The most modern stuff is getting there, along with my bros and my crosses of old stuff with good modern stuff, maybe lacking terps, some modern stuff though looks ridiculous but for a lot yield is low and terps leave a lot to be desired, some standouts though are found. Things went a bit stale a few years ago when it was all cookies cookies cookies, but nowadays there is so much stuff being crossed and searched through that lots of terpy stuff being found, larger yields being selected for etc..

Well grown blues or cheese is a treat to smoke, most who haven't don't realize how good weed can taste..I've been to expos and given the guys from the dam and cali joints to smoke and had them raving as to its of the best weed they've ever smoked, only to laugh at the looks on their faces that they're smoking joints of trim sugar leaf I'd normally have blasted or hashed..LOL..They'd be like fuuuuuuck what is this shit?! What is this weed we are smoking...I'd be like its not weed, its leaf...LOL Ahh cheese

yh i have to agree..

but my guy has had this exodus cut for over 25 yrs and has never seen any balls on this plant its always known that she is a bullet proof strain and the only thing she hates is the cold....

ive got the exodus in flower now with 2 weeks left till chop...

i have the amenisa core cut clone as well which is a pheno of ssh .. and yh she smells like fizzy lemonade mixed with hints of tropical citrus / diesel that then mixes into that well known hazey back drop.... for a 9 week haze she is pretty decent as was the psycosis cut again a 9 week haze ....

the psycosis cut is deffo up for debate tho... it does have a hint of cheese skunkyness in the middle but on the front it was more like pear drop sweets along with nl and haze on the backdrop

pure headhigh was almost psychedelic.... didnt realise what i had at the time .... i also had psyco berry clone but she doesnt really compete against what i class as a true elite....

sheff blues is the most berry strain ive ever tasted... somebody will be asking you questions but the taste is sooo loud you have to ask them to repeat what there saying...

what i love about sheff blues is she does have a slight trippy edge to her ... you get certain feelings with the sheff blues strain you dont get from any other ive smoked and she can turn a grown man into tears ... raw head and body power if you dont know what your working with..

im sure these are the strains that caused people to have episodes back in the 90s ... its a different level of operation.. 🤣🤣

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
Back in the day I saw guys get whiteouts, knock out teeth on doors knobs passing out etc., from white widow..cheese..and an old OG line that someone brought to our shores early 2000's..and old SSH /jack herer...oh ja and good old NL, that pinky musky sweet honey bud that would come onto our shores once in a while in a big load from somewhere else on a yacht apparently..LOL..Miss that old blueberry indica that was held around these parts 20 yrs ago too, that was a special treat to smoke...

Reactions: Gry

Wuachuma

I will not say bullshit but how were the clones maintained pre halide lights being used? 1970-1972 there were no good lights to use until after "How to grow marijuana indoors under light" 1973 by Murphy Stevens and 'A Guide to growing Cannabis under Fluorescents" by C.E.Faber 1974, But if you have ever tried to grow bud under fluorescents it is an uphill fight.They did use the Gro-lux or the better Gro-lux WS, much better than Incandescent lights for sure.
But it was metal Halides and the later HPS lights that made the indoor industry a reality. And they were not around in the early 1970's by 1975 the best you could use was a Very High Output Gro-Lux Fluorescent until Halides were first used a few years later. By the 1980's indoor growing was well established, but even then few people managed to keep clones alive from the 1980's but I am sure a few did. Another problem is if/when the plant picks up a virus or bacterial or fungal disease which can cause the plant and clones taken from that infected mother to become a poor performer even if it was a great clone for years. I do agree that a clone from a clone from a clone from a clone seems to have no negative effects on a clone or its performance as long as they are kept free of viruses, bacterial or fungal diseases, which is hard to do for 30+ years.
Where are the photos? Excuse my skepticism.
The same poster also says 100 million year old Cannabis seeds can be sprouted??? Again Excuse my skepticism.
I do have 25 to 30 year old clones that were maintained and still perform the same, but I have lost a few that got diseases, luckily I normally kept multiple copies of mothers in case one did get a disease I just tossed it.
All of the problem insects carry viruses, like aphids, mites, thrips, leafhoppers, whiteflies, beetles, weevils, crickets, caterpillars, nematodes, leaf-miners, mealybugs, fungus gnats, springtails, earwigs, and a few more...
You must control pests if you want to maintain clone mothers for very long and keep them disease-free.
-SamS

While I doubt it was done back then because of prohibition, but I suppose one could use a greenhouse - where the majority of the lux (lumens and spectrum) came from the Sun - and supplemental lighting (of any technology) to disrupt the dark period to keep the plant(s) in vegetative stage.
Since even something like 1/4 of one candle lumen is enough to disrupt flowering - and perhaps it is a greater level of lumens needed to maintain actual and continuous veg - its plausible that even incandescent lightbulbs could be use in conjunction with the sun in a greenhouse to keep a mother and/or clones in veg for as long as plant health can be maintained

maryjaneismyfre

Veteran
I used to keep plants vegging and keep moms in a greenhouse back ten years back, with CFL's strung right down over the plants, so it is entirely doable, though if sam says no one was doing it way back when, I'd believe him..I keep moms alive and happily vegging these days, as winter sets in, in a low tech greenhouse too as a back up, with 1000w'ers, but the lights only come on for 2 hours a day to save power. Maybe 2 out of 100 varieties, didn't respond well to the light schedule and flowered no matter what..but hey those are not the varieties to keep long term.

Reactions: Gry

Snoemaker

yh i have to agree..

but my guy has had this exodus cut for over 25 yrs and has never seen any balls on this plant its always known that she is a bullet proof strain and the only thing she hates is the cold....

ive got the exodus in flower now with 2 weeks left till chop...

i have the amenisa core cut clone as well which is a pheno of ssh .. and yh she smells like fizzy lemonade mixed with hints of tropical citrus / diesel that then mixes into that well known hazey back drop.... for a 9 week haze she is pretty decent as was the psycosis cut again a 9 week haze ....

the psycosis cut is deffo up for debate tho... it does have a hint of cheese skunkyness in the middle but on the front it was more like pear drop sweets along with nl and haze on the backdrop

pure headhigh was almost psychedelic.... didnt realise what i had at the time .... i also had psyco berry clone but she doesnt really compete against what i class as a true elite....

sheff blues is the most berry strain ive ever tasted... somebody will be asking you questions but the taste is sooo loud you have to ask them to repeat what there saying...

what i love about sheff blues is she does have a slight trippy edge to her ... you get certain feelings with the sheff blues strain you dont get from any other ive smoked and she can turn a grown man into tears ... raw head and body power if you dont know what your working with..

im sure these are the strains that caused people to have episodes back in the 90s ... its a different level of operation.. 🤣🤣
Yo is the exo cut still on the scene