What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

First time grow; 1 sqft, 136 Watt CFL, 12/12 from seed

al70

Veteran
ye did a good job down below mike, if they were mine, i'd remove a few more of those big fan leaves, they're just blocking light, goodluck.

fatigues

Veteran
No, you are wrong. This is misinformation, you should never remove fan leaves unless those leaves are already being dropped.

I think, in fairness, that this is better characterized as a contentious point among growers. While it is not something you would consider doing, there are others who aggressively defoliate - even fan leaves.

"Misinformation" and "never" put forth as fact a matter which is, instead, an opinion. While that opinion may be widely shared -- and maybe even justified, I think you have overstated your case here by more than a little.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
...Plus, someone's grow journal is not the correct place to start an argument about defoliation.

Mike it's been a while since I popped in here. I like what you got going, good job. Keep it up!

...Plus, someone's grow journal is not the correct place to start an argument about defoliation.

Mike it's been a while since I popped in here. I like what you got going, good job. Keep it up!

Thanks Hush, how long would you guess I have left?

DAY 43; Bud shots are top and lower of Northern Lights.

Day 44;

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
It's hard to say for sure, but based on the looks of the plant, you have several more weeks to go. When doing a 12/12 from seed grow it's hard to estimate. Best I can tell you is to add around 2 weeks to the breeder's listed flowering time. But that's just a rough ballpark estimate. If you don't already have one, go get yourself a little magnifier so you can observe the trichomes and harvest based on those.

I've never used a magnifier, though. I just take macro shots, and then zoom in real good on the computer screen. ;)

Yeah, the Northern Lights looks like it's way ahead of the other two, but it's also an auto flower so I would expect it to finish earlier anyway.

The breeder suggests 7-9 weeks for Northern Lights Auto and I've read on autos, that's the entire growth, not just the flowering period. Right now I just finished week 6 since sprout.

I just don't want to make the mistake of harvesting too early but then again I don't want to wait too long trying not to harvest early.

Here's some close ups of the top and lower buds of the Northern Lights, respectively.

Murdakaii

The tall one just wants to keep going up doesn't it! haha, looking good man. Looks like you should get a good yield for what you have. Great work!

Thanks guys :tiphat:

The tall one just wants to keep going up doesn't it! haha, looking good man. Looks like you should get a good yield for what you have. Great work!

I know! The AK48 and Northern Lights have pretty much leveled out at ~12"-13" which is perfect and the Blue Mystic is almost 20"! I don't want to do any topping or anything at this point but there isn't much more vertical space.

It also is much bushier than the other two. The AK and NL are pretty much buds all the way up the main stem, whereas the BM has several "tops" growing that have branched off from the bottom.

Day 49; 7 weeks growing completed, Northern Lights is supposed to finish between 7 and 9 weeks. Getting close :watchplant: