What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Air Pots Or Smart Pots

DamnUglyDogE

Learning the rules well,so as to break them effect
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Is it harder to transplant with the Airpots though? Don't roots get stuck in those little holes?

Once the root reach through the holes.. They are air pruned and this make the plant throw out more roots...

----- :alien::ying::alien: -----

Peace...

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like claws digging out the sides..

Places in container a inch and bottom allowed to stay wet. Media wick makes this easy with once a day hand watering ...

Around 12 days in coco/perlite. Suppose my Air pots would do the same without the chance for mold on the fabric..

Thought ya might like...

picture.php

Peace...

hotboxes

check out geopots.com I have some their 1 gallon nursery pots that velcro down the side for easy transplanting, sturdy constuction, and square. come in black and tan. Smarties all the way. pull back the cloth and look at the roots they are big fat hairy roots all over.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Truth be told... IMO. They have the same pros-cons and they both have their place in different grows.

I have yet to find one thing I can't do with the other...
Cant go wrong with either..

I feel like im hijacking this thread... (Not my goal) Just want to contribute and learn somethin. .
So come on Smart/Air pot people. .. What cha got ?
Share ya thoughts-experiences so I can contribute and not feel like a jacker..lol

picture.php

Kcar

There are FOUR lights!
Veteran
Airpots look cool. I had side-by-by 5gal airpots and smartpots last year.
Same yield and potency. The Airpots seemed to have more root mass.
Early on the airpots dryed out quicker. Maybe the whole time. And the water
came out the sides if they were real dry.

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Smartpots can build up salts which wont be a problem with the Airpots...

My understanding is the salt is being pushed out and accumulates on the exterior
Of the bag-causing no harm... looks crazy tho.. I thought it was mold 1st time I saw this...

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Has anyone connected 2 or more air pots together ta make 1 large pot ?
If so... How did it do ?

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
The air pots are much stronger since they are made from molded plastic. I have used both and prefer the air pots because of how much longer they will last. The smart pots are made of fabric and begin breaking down after a few grows. I look forward to using my air pots many years in the future.

-Funk

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You can buy whole rolls of the stuff (like 50'-100' or longer and different heights) and custom make your own sizes.

:jawdrop: what you talken about Willis. :yoinks:

Had not thought of looking for rolls..lol
Have ta find me a link...

messn'n'gommin'

ember
Veteran
Superootsdotcom. Click on "Purchase" at the top. At the bottom it says they come in 60 meter rolls and in heights of 300mm to 900mm (in 100mm increments) and a 940mm height. Includes an allen wrench and 100 of the "fixings." I would imagine one would have to go through a retail dealer, but I have no way of knowing that for sure.

If you're going to use a lot of them (and to save your fingers) you could try some of these:

and a cordless drill with a Phillips bit to make short work of breaking them down.

One caveat on that, though, the threads don't go all the way to the head of the anchor. So, seating the anchor all the way to the head will make for a PITA to remove when taking the pots apart.

skyview

Rolls.... what a great idea! That way we can customize to the plant size rather than the other way around. Thanks for the suggestion!

skyview

Truth be told... IMO. They have the same pros-cons and they both have their place in different grows.

I have yet to find one thing I can't do with the other...
Cant go wrong with either..

[URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43833&pictureid=1029455&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=43833&pictureid=1029748&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42128&pictureid=994728&thumb=1]View Image[/url] [URL=https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=42758&pictureid=1008167&thumb=1]View Image[/url]

I feel like im hijacking this thread... (Not my goal) Just want to contribute and learn somethin. .
So come on Smart/Air pot people. .. What cha got ?
Share ya thoughts-experiences so I can contribute and not feel like a jacker..lol

View Image
Alien Dawg, this latest idea of Airpot rolls and customizing the sizes seems to answer your challenge here, "I have yet to find one thing I can't do with the other..."
It would be really difficult to sew SmartPots together.
Do you think this is a big advantage though?

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
Alien Dawg, this latest idea of Airpot rolls and customizing the sizes seems to answer your challenge here, "I have yet to find one thing I can't do with the other..."
It would be really difficult to sew SmartPots together.
Do you think this is a big advantage though?

Only a advantage in very limited circumstances.
Really cant see a clear winner..
It's more about what your environmental needs dictates.

Though I have now managed to combine the two..lol
I cut a smart pot into patches for my air pot wicks. ..

DamnUglyDogE

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you use the rolls and cut to size, what do you use for the bottoms? Cut up smart pots??

I just did this.. haha. Used a cut up smart pot as patches for my air pot wicks. .
Used the patch ta place a 1.5" wick into a 2" hole. Worked great.

One big issue for me with the smart pot and pulse feeding keeping the material wet is brown mold on the pot.
Working on a system upgrade today in the room the smell
Really hit me off the day 65 pots... stank hard..

Suppose a simple fan blow air around the pots would solve this issue.
Somethin ta watch out for and gives a lead to Air pots IMO... lol
:groupwave:

GrowItOut

Has anyone connected 2 or more air pots together ta make 1 large pot ?
If so... How did it do ?

Connected a couple of 3 gallon air-pots into a larger single by overlapping the sides and securing with the original screws (still strong as original). Used a spare 22.5" round Weber BBQ grill for the bottom, set it into a 24" water heater tray (Home Depot Store SKU # 358829). Makes a nice multiple plant grow area 11.5" height. Works great.
icon14.gif

Latest posts

Latest posts