What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Black residue on roots in DWC/NFT Aeroflo

NEED 4 SEED

I am at week 8 flowering and first time on hydro and this system. The first weeks everything looked well but lately these black spots on the roots came up and the roots got browner. I have no photo today. I didn't change the reservoir the whole grow. The plants are still looking excellent. So whats that? I gave em some peroxide today. Lets look if they survived this. lol
So anybody seen black things on the roots which don't move should leave a note.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Use any molasses? Not changing the rez could mean that something has a chance to solidify & fall out of suspension.

NEED 4 SEED

Use any molasses? Not changing the rez could mean that something has a chance to solidify & fall out of suspension.

No, just GHE flora series. Bloom, Gro and micro formula. The roots seem to get pretty brown now. But the plants look still very nice.
Edit: I've seen some black mold on some of the stems, maybe thats the stuff in the roots. Tried to examine the roots with the microscope but you don't see what it actually is.

OranguTrump

Crotchety Old Crotch
Mold is different critter entirely. If not that, then prob just carb type supplements, precipitating out of never flushed rez. IMHO.