What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

HARVEST - How to dry properly

axle2u

hello everyone,

id like to pose the question to all, how to harvest
as this is my very first grow, (now that its legal), I have 2 matures about to come off.

I have read different things, been told different things as well.
from hanging plants upside down, with root system attached
as a whole plant, Ive seen pictures of just branches hanging upside down to dry, no main stem, no roots...

what is your favourite way to dry a plant, and why ?

thank you so much, for taking the time to post replies in my thread

-axle b robot

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
Cut and hang in a room at 65 degrees and 60 humidity for a couple weeks.
^^ what he said^^ with the following correction.

A week to 10 days by branches only but after a week I start to closely monitor. IMHO to say 2 weeks is too general. What I was taught is that when the bud can snap off the branch (branch is still resilient) she is ready. It is all about what you like to do. If you are premature in "jaring" your harvest, you will have to pay close attention to your climate inside the jar and burp more often, until humidity sits where you want it.

I use a 62% Boveda pack and hygrometer in each jar. My RH is maintained between 59-60%. Some don't like to use Bovedas, I'm in the other camp :)

Last edited:
It takes me weeks to get mine dry, I usually cut as low as possible on the plant while attempting to keep the plant together. This is for my smaller one ounce plants tho

For larger plants I figure in my mind the biggest section I can cut and wash in a 5 gallon bucket. Because I wash mine, in a five gallon bucket. So it can’t be too big as to not fit

Then hang whole sections up in dark closet. Couple fans in room. The bigger the plant mass is, the longer it will take for your bud to dry. The longer it takes to dry, the better the smoke will be.

It doesn’t matter if you hang a plant upside down or not as far as the high is concerned, that’s stoner science if you read that hanging it upside down vs right side up is better. BUT I hang every plant upside down because it’s easier that way, as you will soon see. I have never dried the plant with roots attached but as I stated the longer the better and the more plant matter attached the longer it will take to dry. I was told by a breeder I’m cool with that his stuff is best when dried for two weeks and then placed in jar for at least two weeks so I aim to reach that goal by default with all plants, leaving them together whole so it takes longer on purpose. Some plants get cut up a bit more as different strains take longer to dry than other (ime). I have dried buds by cutting the plant into sticks and it was way faster, like dry in 4-5 days and it wasn’t bad or anything. But I think waiting makes it taste a little better. You should experiment and see what you like best

axle2u

It takes me weeks to get mine dry, I usually cut as low as possible on the plant while attempting to keep the plant together. This is for my smaller one ounce plants tho

For larger plants I figure in my mind the biggest section I can cut and wash in a 5 gallon bucket. Because I wash mine, in a five gallon bucket. So it can’t be too big as to not fit

Then hang whole sections up in dark closet. Couple fans in room. The bigger the plant mass is, the longer it will take for your bud to dry. The longer it takes to dry, the better the smoke will be.

It doesn’t matter if you hang a plant upside down or not as far as the high is concerned, that’s stoner science if you read that hanging it upside down vs right side up is better. BUT I hang every plant upside down because it’s easier that way, as you will soon see. I have never dried the plant with roots attached but as I stated the longer the better and the more plant matter attached the longer it will take to dry. I was told by a breeder I’m cool with that his stuff is best when dried for two weeks and then placed in jar for at least two weeks so I aim to reach that goal by default with all plants, leaving them together whole so it takes longer on purpose. Some plants get cut up a bit more as different strains take longer to dry than other (ime). I have dried buds by cutting the plant into sticks and it was way faster, like dry in 4-5 days and it wasn’t bad or anything. But I think waiting makes it taste a little better. You should experiment and see what you like best

hey thanks for this info, I appreciate it...
that's interesting, take longer to dry, better bud

I was planning on curing it 30 days in glass mason jars, anyways

so now I know, bigger is better...
also, you wash your buds ? why may I ask ?

my 2 matures are indoor, and I didn't use any pesticides at all
but they got lovingly mist-ed, almost every night...
for months on end.... I never thought to wash prior to drying it

curious....

axle

axle2u

A week to 10 days by branches only but after a week I start to closely monitor. IMHO to say 2 weeks is too general. What I was taught is that when the bud can snap off the branch (branch is still resilient) she is ready. It is all about what you like to do. If you are premature in "jaring" your harvest, you will have to pay close attention to your climate inside the jar and burp more often, until humidity sits where you want it.

I use a 2% Boveda pack and hygrometer in each jar. My RH is maintained between 59-60%. Some don't like to use Bovedas, I'm in the other camp :)

and I thank you, switcher man.....
curious, what kind of hydrometer we talking ?
like a strip or something, whats it look like.....?
where you get em...?

thanks,

axle

axle2u

Cut and hang in a room at 65 degrees and 60 humidity for a couple weeks.

thank you, for this info

what if I cant do 65 degrees tho,...?
and a 60% humidity....

be nice to have a cooler humidor eh...
a walk in....lol that be even better...

I was going to shut down half my grow closet
remove canopy light asm., on the one side
hang and dry in there....

but my day time temps, get up to 90...
way off the ball, with that temp....eh

she'd dry too fast, wouldn't she...?

thanks pal,

axle

Noonin NorCal

Veteran
Cut down. strip fan leaves off and cut to have managable branches.

I cut a v so it hangs a lot easier, I don't hang whole plants but by the branches.

Drying; slower the better, if you can get away with out using a dehumidifier then do that, but you need fans to have constant air moving around in your room!

Noonin NorCal

Veteran

I use a 2% Boveda pack and hygrometer in each jar. My RH is maintained between 59-60%. Some don't like to use Bovedas, I'm in the other camp :)

Mine usually takes about 10-12 days. I also like to hear a snap before i start trimming. Or buck down into bins for trimming later on!

P

pongster

i also hang upside down, but i weigh the buds just as i trimmed, then when they reach 20% of the wet weight, i put in jars.

best regards :tiphat:

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
I dry in a fucking Chicken coop (no chickens).

picture.php

At harvest time the RH is between 70 & 90. It's a crap shoot, but basically it dries slowly. 3 weeks sometimes, and I have to time it right to bring it in. It could be ready to bin in another room to cure, but if I miss it and it rains, it has wait. Mofo. But it's as smooth as a menthol cigarette because I have to cure a long time.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
thank you, for this info

what if I cant do 65 degrees tho,...?
and a 60% humidity....

be nice to have a cooler humidor eh...
a walk in....lol that be even better...

I was going to shut down half my grow closet
remove canopy light asm., on the one side
hang and dry in there....

but my day time temps, get up to 90...
way off the ball, with that temp....eh

she'd dry too fast, wouldn't she...?

thanks pal,

axle

I just got a big old window banger that will get my flower room to 62 with lights out.:biggrin:

If your flowers are finishing in 90 degree temps it's prolly not going to matter much but the coolest place in your house will be best and use an exhaust fan to dehumidify and a humidifier to keep as close to 55-60%.

Amazon has this controller for forty bucks that will control both that I use.
Inkbird AC 110V Digital Pre-Wired Outlet Dual Stage Humidity Controller IHC-200 (IHC-200)

A closet, tent or box can be rigged to work well depending on how much you have to dry.

Keeping your flowers cold when they finish and while they dry and cure really produces next level flavor.

I first heard about this when Berner interviewed Jungle boys in this video. It's 11 minutes in. They go to 60 degrees but you can't usually get rooms that cold without special equipment. Normal dehumidifier won't work at temps that low.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=AnWd2mHedK0&

I'mback

Comfortably numb!
i also hang upside down, but i weigh the buds just as i trimmed, then when they reach 20% of the wet weight, i put in jars.

best regards :tiphat:
Now that is really interesting. I have a little calculator on my grow spreadsheets. I input wet weight and used 20% (what past grows yielded dry :tiphat:

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Keep you a oscillating fan going close to the ground, don't let it blow directly on your plants. Just something to kinda circulate the air some

axle2u

I dry in a fucking Chicken coop (no chickens).

View Image

At harvest time the RH is between 70 & 90. It's a crap shoot, but basically it dries slowly. 3 weeks sometimes, and I have to time it right to bring it in. It could be ready to bin in another room to cure, but if I miss it and it rains, it has wait. Mofo. But it's as smooth as a menthol cigarette because I have to cure a long time.

ahaha....freakin 'A"....brother

Latest posts

Latest posts