What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

The Blueberry Trials

Bmac1

Veteran
I'm a big fan of strong and unique terps in general but after 25ish years of smoking, blueberry is still one of my favorites. It's been so rare for years and what I do come across is a faint taste at best and fuck all for effect sadly.

Late 90s early 2000 there was some awesome blueberry going around the Lower Mainland - Fraser Valley in BC. Long before I grew anything but it was a bit of a bell ringer and had the strongest blueberry candy like flavor. Used to get it from a buddy whose dad grew and it was big, spongy, light green buds that absolutely reeked.

I will get around to a blueberry search at some point but will be keeping an eye here and hope you find what you are looking for.

highsteppa

Veteran
You guys may laugh but there was a great cut of ‘blue hell’ from medical seeds going around RI about 6-7 yrs ago. Tasted like blueberry candy. Listed as a bb s1. Based on that phenotype Id consider it for a seed comparison. I have it crossed to thisisme’s 10-12 wk bb sativa. Also outcast’s bb sativa /pre2k heirloom blueberry ranks up there for incredible high and flavor, anyone have her please.

Happy Times

I'm a big fan of strong and unique terps in general but after 25ish years of smoking, blueberry is still one of my favorites. It's been so rare for years and what I do come across is a faint taste at best and fuck all for effect sadly.

Late 90s early 2000 there was some awesome blueberry going around the Lower Mainland - Fraser Valley in BC. Long before I grew anything but it was a bit of a bell ringer and had the strongest blueberry candy like flavor. Used to get it from a buddy whose dad grew and it was big, spongy, light green buds that absolutely reeked.

I will get around to a blueberry search at some point but will be keeping an eye here and hope you find what you are looking for.

Big and spongy- that reminds me of some Crosswalker a buddy did a few years back, really addictive sweet and fruity stem rubs late in flower, I couldn’t keep my fingers away from my nostrils after! I think Crosswalker is Blueberry x Mazar

Nexus7

I think Skywalker was the blueberry x mazar from Dutch Passion ;)

I'm currently smoking on Glueberry OG (GG4/OG kush x Blueberry) she is nice and terpy but not particularly Blueberry dominant in this instance.

N7

wvkindbud38

Elite Growers Club
Veteran
Not the best pick, but this is Seedsman Blueberry fems. I grew these outdoors and did good with them last year. This is nearing harvest in a few wks. There alot fruiter than any BB Ive ever ran....but they yield good and smoke good. I had a nice sativa BB pheno I got last year, but this Indy pheno is a good one also. For the price I promise you won't find a better BB

Attachments

• 20190531_005918.jpg
    20190531_005918.jpg
    249.4 KB · Views: 30
G

I also agree in thinking that Joey Weed and Peak Seeds blueberries should be included. I’ve grown one of Joey Weeds blueberrys and it was a beautiful Indica dominant plant that was floral not fruity.

I have a pack of Verdant Greens Blue Digiberry F2 That I am going to pop before the end of 2019; looking for the blueberry smell and taste I think that’s the best place to start.
I purchased a pack of Fractal Genetics blueberry F2 about six or seven years ago based solely on the picture he provided on Seedbay. I have not popped any, but will when I get the Digiberries going.
I imagine they’re still around somewhere; wherever Gypsies gear is now being offered. May have to ask for it though…

Scrappy-doo

If you run Joey's version I recommend investing in several packs to select from. I sorted through a majority of lighter potency phenos but I found one with a great high.

Indy dom plants, good yield, hardy. A big contrast to the more delicate and petite modern blueberry. Mild to low odor on the terps, ranging from berry, to hashy/earthy/berry, to floral. I didn't find any killer muffin, candy, or syrup in the pack I ran, but I can see there's a wide range of phenos so with a larger population it might very well be in there.

I also ran half packs of DJ's newberry and happy pussy. Big step up in the terp department. Happy Pussy in particular had some very terpy ladies. Still, didn't find what I was looking for in there either but I only had 5 females between both lines. Definite potential in there.

hubcap

StackinCalyxs
Veteran
I will make the list in this first post and update as seeds and clones are selected for the test.

let us know where the list stands....
Some of the recommendations in this thread surprised me.

curious in the seeds you pick.

-cap

rykus

I have the original Fraser valley blueberry aka blueberry hashplant... my friends got and held the cut since 99/00, and I know they had been getting the weed long before the cut.

2 years ago I crossed Dr atomic’s Blueberry x northern lights male onto her as well as another nice blueberry I got off Vancouver island and an S3 out of the local legend Rene(one of the best berry varieties I ever tried!)

I’m planning to Bx the seed I made to the Fraser valley blue berry, and started over 100 to select a nice male.

Anyways yeah the real blueberry is a persnickety little bitch, doesn’t like chemical feed or a ton of light, and tends to get a bit of herm flowers in the buds if taken to long under strong light /feed... but has an overwhelming berry taste and smell... very stretch indica growth, with round golf ball mugs that go pretty colours with cooler temps or a long finish.

These aren’t really available per say but might be a good line to find some of the old good genes.. I’ll update if they work out well and try to spread some around

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Sunday morning bells are ringing everywhere....

Hey thanks everyone for the suggestions! I didn't think blueberry interested many people anymore. Very pleasant surprise!!

So far we have these suggestions..

Joey Weed, in for sure.

Peak, the most nods, odd never really looked into them. In for sure.

Dutch Passion, dammit it's going to hurt giving them money, come on Tony hook me up for this trial! It would make up for the many times I was pissed off at the DP results in the last decade. In for sure.

S.annie, if it's available hell yeah!

CAD, was suprised about this one getting several votes. In

DJ of course! My all time fav breeder and the headliner for sure.

Jordan of the Isles, I can't seem to find straight BB..

Hazeman, in. Haze's beans are incredible, all of them. Nuff said

Sag, in

Fractal, if they can be found?

Verdant/dank.frank, Digi is a hybrid but must be included. The most consistent reports of BB flavor. I need to go back and see what the cross is.

Beanhoarder, I have looked at his hybrids many times but don't see pure BB?

I'll update the list in the first post once a few more that were offered suggested through pm get sorted.

Seedsman is out as I have already grown them out. Good stuff but has a skunk bottom note to it which I have never found in BB.

GreenPath is also out as I grew them out extensively and found some nice plants but it leans heavily towards the floral end of things.

Some of the others I'll have to research. I don't know much about Mosca, pretty sure it's a hybrid but I'll look into it.

Also included will be the Blue Heaven, I will have it more dialed by trial time.

Keep the suggestions coming if there is anything I am missing!

Cheers!

Scrappy-doo

If you listen to the latest pot cast, Matt Riot has a lot to say about that killer blueberry flavor of old. Says he's doing a blueberry project right now that's very similar to this. It's always great to hear more confirmation of that experience some of us here have had. Reminds me it not just a unicorn and wasn't all just my imagination.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
I was just listening to that. About halfway through it. I'm glad people are working it. Matt Riot is a character lol.

Scrappy-doo

It's great to see projects like this in the works. The more people hunting for it the better it is for all of us. I'll never give up hope it IS still out there somewhere.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Researching where to get DJ Short Blueberry I was reading the strain description at hemp depot and it is different than anywhere else. I wonder if this is a newer blueberry line? It is out of stock most other places. I am going to get it from HD along with Joey and CAD/USA.

Blueberry

Indoor / Outdoor
Developed from different new genetic lines, unique to Europe. Also Blue Velvet and Flo are developed from totally new genetics. These genetics are of high quality, and have not been grown in Europe before. Mostly indica dating back to the mid 1970's. Large producer under optimum conditions. A dense and stout plant with red, purple, and blue hues, usually cures to a lavender blue. Very fruity aroma, and taste of blueberry. Produces a notable and pleasantly euphoric high. Highest quality and is very long lasting. Medium to large calyxes. Blueberry Long shelf life, stores well of long periods.

Flowering indoors 45 to 55 days

I noticed it says "taste of blueberry" which has never been in the description before.

Interesting.

@DJShort if you happen to be cruising the boards here feel free to chime in. We would all love to hear your thoughts.

igrowone

Veteran
Flowering indoors 45 to 55 days

I noticed it says "taste of blueberry" which has never been in the description before.

Interesting.

@DJShort if you happen to be cruising the boards here feel free to chime in. We would all love to hear your thoughts.

7-8 weeks flower?
i don't know what the original genetics required, but that does sound rather optimistic
and there's Thai in there as a key contributor?
still, anything is possible i suppose

Scrappy-doo

I asked Brad at HD about that description. He said it's the same one that he's used since he first started carrying DJ's original blueberry in the late 90's.

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
Ah good to know, I was going to email him when I got around to it.

Some phenos of blueberry finished at 49 days. Flo and BB both have some wicked fast phenos.