What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

What are the best African landraces?

pookie123

I don't frequent here too much as I usually am over at OG, but when it comes to info on landraces nothing beats ICMag's forums. I was hoping to find out from the few guys that are familiar with the various african landraces, which ones you preferred overall and perhaps which landraces were standouts as far as effects they produce.. I'm just looking to find some strains that are unique.
So far I have collected Transkei, lesotho,ciskei,durban poison,Malawi,angola red X congo black, and Zamaldelica (hybrid with Zamal) and Moroccan.. I'm hoping to collect some from Ghana, Ethiopia and from Mauritius (which would be zamal mostly) And I hope to be able to collect from as many other parts of africa as I can also, though I am on a low budget so that hinders things greatly.
Anyways I hope to get some feedback from some of you that have experience with various African strains.. Thanks again, Also I have some Transkei and lesotho seeds that I would love to trade for other African landraces..

Organik

Senegal and Double Zamal by Underground Seeds Collective are pretty good.
Cannabiogen has the Ghana.
Ace has the Ethiopian.
Good luck!

ahortator

Veteran
Without any doubt Congolese landrace is the best. But since 2017 the rasta community there is contaminating their stuff with GHS shitty hybrids around Kinshasa.

Forget to get Congolese seeds from seedbanks all they offer are simply false or Pakistan/Afghan hybridized.

Any unhybridized seeds you can get from any country in the Gulf of Guinea would be great. Also But it is really difficult if not impossible.

Thule

Dr. Narrowleaf
Veteran
Everyone will give a different answer depending on what they've smoked. Generally Malawi Gold and Zamal are considered the best, Malawi speedy and Zamal trippy. Both can be described as classic tropical sativas. Kariba surprise from Zimbabwe has the reputation of being the strongest. South African and Swazi tend to be faster flowering and can be partly mixed with Indian hashplants, they're relatively well suited to indoors. Swazi red and Ciskei have been very trippy and introspective. Durban is almost never pure anymore. From strains available commercially I'd probably rank Zamal and Ethiopian the highest but I've smoked both only as hybrids..

Sunshineinabag

Everyone will give a different answer depending on what they've smoked. Generally Malawi Gold and Zamal are considered the best, Malawi speedy and Zamal trippy. Both can be described as classic tropical sativas. Kariba surprise from Zimbabwe has the reputation of being the strongest. South African and Swazi tend to be faster flowering and can be partly mixed with Indian hashplants, they're relatively well suited to indoors. Swazi red and Ciskei have been very trippy and introspective. Durban is almost never pure anymore. From strains available commercially I'd probably rank Zamal and Ethiopian the highest but I've smoked both only as hybrids..

Try Malawi first:tiphat:

therevverend

Veteran
Most of the available strains out there are not real landraces. Even if they're undiluted tropical varieties they've been 'tamed', bred for shorter flowering times, bigger yields, much less demanding on the grower. Zamaldelica is an example, a great strain that I really want to grow but it's been bred enough generations it's not a landrace. Plus it's a hybrid and contains Thai genetics. Most of the seeds available are like this, and it's not necessarily a bad thing, but if you're looking for real landrace genetics they're hard to find. Are there any seed companies that offer real African landrace seeds like the Real Seed Company? RSC's Sinai is the only one I can think of.

There's strains that are a lot closer to landraces then others, Cannabiogen's Ghana has the look. The South African strains everyone mentions are close, there's Congolese strains that are close, but they're all removed from the source by several generations.

kokomarin

In real world ,african landrace is pygmme,bushmans and other nongrowers weed in black africa.
Ghana landrace is week,they smoke weed from ghana growers,
Nigerian landrace is river banks brickweed,very low potency(lagos area),people on the street
smoke very strong hibrids from muslims growers,
I sand seeds from Biafra(delta Niger) to Pylos,90%landrace 10%skunk,
Weed from there was strongest what I ever try
Once I saw Lucky Luke coming inside night bar in Port Harcourt,
But,30 years ago,I was 20 years old balcan boy:)

pookie123

Do you have access to seeds from the landrace hybrid you speak of? Is it a Nigerian cross? I think you can find great examples from both Nigeria and Ghana as apparently some breeders have found some stellar plants in the gene-pool..

pookie123

In real world ,african landrace is pygmme,bushmans and other nongrowers weed in black africa.
Ghana landrace is week,they smoke weed from ghana growers,
Nigerian landrace is river banks brickweed,very low potency(lagos area),people on the street
smoke very strong hibrids from muslims growers,
I sand seeds from Biafra(delta Niger) to Pylos,90%landrace 10%skunk,
Weed from there was strongest what I ever try
Once I saw Lucky Luke coming inside night bar in Port Harcourt,
But,30 years ago,I was 20 years old balcan boy:)

Do you have access to seeds from the landrace hybrid you speak of? Is it a Nigerian cross? I think you can find great examples from both Nigeria and Ghana as apparently some breeders have found some stellar plants in the gene-pool..
Was wondering if you had access to the strain you spoke of?:comfort:

kokomarin

pookie123,NO
today you can by from tropical seeds company
or afropips seeds company
seeds of africa......

conradino23

I grew Malawi Gold from SOA and I can sincerely recommend it to anybody who’s looking for the real thing. Trippy, speedy high that lasts up to 3 hrs and will leave you dazed and confused :)

The first time I smoked it I was walking in circles for about 15 minutes and couldn’t get a grip on anything in my head :)

Anybody I gave it too was devastated. Impairment is so heavy sometimes that you can’t drive or do anything involving motor skills.

I’m growing Bushmans aka. Ciskei now, but I heard a lot of mixed opinions.

As far as Durban Poison is concerned I know a guy from South Africa who inherited a stock from the 60’s collected by his father and he’s been growing it with great success. I also know someone who keeps the original DP clone in Oregon, so it’s not lost.

ULMW

Greetings! Best always makes fi ambiguous answer variables being so many. That being said expressing my personal opinion and taste.
I grew outdoors in Ethiopia fi 7 years and so I love Ethiopian , Malawi and Of Course Durban Poison. Zambian Copper..
I grew up on African herbs from my youth and so Malawi Cobs I love.
I am enjoying the new Ace Seeds Ethiopian x Malawi.
Plus Purple Zamal.x Malawi both give a great African vibe and take mi bak to Africa each time I vape or burn a spliff.
I have the Ghanian to try sometime soon CBG also does Durban. :)

Thcvhunter

Veteran
Stay away from ACE
SoA is very hit or miss. Lots of pollution but a good plant every pack or two.

Bodhi, CBG, RSC, USC are all good sources for pure lines.

Best landrace?
Zamal
Congo
Angola
Jamaican
Highland Thai
Lumbo
NLD Mexican
Equadorian
Afghan/Paki
Nepalese
Real Indian (not Irrazin)