What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Mid Western Hemp breeding.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
As someone who doesn't live in the US Midwest, is there a central hub of seed collectors? Is there any organized groups dedicated to preserving the "Ditch Weed" ? I get that many will shun this idea, but these plants are resilient. They escaped the farms in 1945, and have been self sustaining ever since. Seed begging is frowned upon on this site and rightly so, but... Hemp is currently sold many hundred dollar for a kilo. Not sold in packs of 10. Also no place I know of no one that sells midwestern ditch weed. If anyone in the mid-west with a collection of ditch weed seeds that want to see these genetics grown in a tropical zone, please PM me.

*If solicitating seeds are against the rules, please forgive me. I would gladly spend money for wild, feral, ditch weed hemp seeds. They are just not offered. There is a market for it!

Thank you.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Also on my wish list are cannabis seeds for the Northern Japanese island of Hokkaido.

Some say it's hemp, others say it's hemp.

Any Japanese Icmagers out there?

PDX Dopesmoker

I have planted males in spots where it grows far far from my house actually, killed the hemp males even. It would realistically take millions of plants to do the job here. I can drive a pickup down certain railroad tracks in other towns and fill the entire bed in no time in fall if I wanted. You can chop a hemp plant at soil level in july and come back to a 5x5 bush a month later it is very hardy.

Sounds like it has nice properties. If someone wanted to try and find the wild stuff with ripe seeds on it, what would be the right time of year? Early October?

redlaser

Veteran
I lived in Iowa for fifteen years, east half of the state top to bottom. It’s fairly common in some areas, on back roads if you take the time to look for it, lots a times it’s only a few plants but big patches too. They spray it by more heavily travelled roads. Massive amounts on private land comparable to horse weed or thistle in other places

I know they will arrest you for possessing it or harvesting it, at least highway patrol will. A couple guys were harvesting sumac in a roadside ditch and the cops busted them for pot because I guess they were not plant experts.
As far as collecting seeds maybe earlier than November, but Nov. for sure, I’ve collected in February and later too, depends if birds get to them. The flowers I’ve seen are pretty sparse, not a big mold magnet

Most of the larger hemp plants were only slightly taller than their width.

PDX Dopesmoker

Thanks for the info, I wonder if all the police in Iowa will be occupied sucking politician cock for most of late fall and earlier winter this year. It might be safer for collecting sumac and it's lookalikes this season.

redlaser

Veteran
It’s a possibility I hadn’t considered, but I would also use traditional precautions as well.
Iowa has endless soybean and corn fields and a few houses, so people notice strangers, if they are around to see.
Really need to find a spot to park and walk, railroad tracks are good. Smaller the town the better generally for availability.

PDX Dopesmoker

It’s a possibility I hadn’t considered, but I would also use traditional precautions as well.
Iowa has endless soybean and corn fields and a few houses, so people notice strangers, if they are around to see.
Really need to find a spot to park and walk, railroad tracks are good. Smaller the town the better generally for availability.

I've driven across Iowa and most of the other states in that region while avoiding the interstate system before, so I guess it probably wouldn't be too hard to figure out whats up, but I'm not all too familiar. Thanks for the tips

'Boogieman'

I can definitely get you midwest hemp seeds if you really want, I have to be careful being caught with midwest hemp can get me charged. I won't be able to get them until about mid September though. I have blue widow x midwest hemp, special queen x midwest hemp, and Durban poison x midwest hemp lol I just been sticking the seeds from my grows in jars the plan was to use them for sst but I don't really care.

PDX Dopesmoker about mid September the seeds are ready, but it's much easier to find stands in November as it's the only green plant left standing in Indiana. Along creeks, irrigation ditches, and railroad tracks are the best spots to find it.

PDX Dopesmoker

I was going to mention irrigation waterways when you mentioned the railroad tracks. I have a pet theory that wild pot plants do some of their traveling during high water events because the seeds float and because the map of the Hunter Valley cannabis infestation in Australia outlines the river system.

G.O. Joe

Veteran
the map of the Hunter Valley cannabis infestation in Australia outlines the river system.

They grow along rivers for the same reasons they grow in ditches, just a bigger ditch.

They escaped the farms in 1945, and have been self sustaining ever since.

It's not clear how much if any, or what hemp was grown for victory where exactly, but I would assume that after '37 there were tight controls on seed and farms, so there's a good chance that wartime seed contributes 0.00% to today's ditchweed.

The guy in the video I posted said birds use it as a seed source in the winter, but the ditchweed I've seen lately does not have a single seed past September. The seeds are very small and loosely held.

An unexpected problem with breeding with ditchweed was autoflowering and showers of seeds falling every time a plant was moved slightly. They proved to be dominant traits that just make them a hassle to breed with. This was when SB was still a big thing but I'm pretty sure they would have laughed at me if I asked if they wanted free ditchweed genetics.

In most places it's probably best to stay off gravel roads when you're up to something and have out of state plates. Those are the roads the noxious weed people go down all day and these days in many counties you're not likely to find ditchweed along rights of way such as roadside ditches, and public land in general. Maybe you can find something driving at home with google street view.

If you're just passing through and maybe back again you could drive the interstate looking for some monsters just outside the corn, note the location, and park on the shoulder after dark for a minute. Right next to good light, soil, water, and fertilizer is the only way to get a good sense of potential or problems.

But as the video says a particular ditchweed may have strange desirable traits, so if you were foolish enough to come all this way for ditchweed it's best to most inconspicuously spend a few hours with a few hundred plants and select the best.

I'd find river access points and bring someone else and a kayak and have a float, maybe camp out on someone's sandbar overnight. Airboating in ditchweed country is about as good as it gets, in ditchweed country.

mexcurandero420

See the world through a puff of smoke
Veteran
Not all what was grown was hemp back then.

Dewey (1914) noted that a Turkish narcotic type of land race called “Smyrna” was commonly used in the early 20th century in the US to produce birdseed, because (like most narcotic types of Cannabis) it is densely branched, producing many flowers, hence seeds.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Did my research, in a few hours I plan to purchase Ace seed's Hokkaido hemp seeds. Before I order any last minute recommendations for hemp seeds sold to the public, that is not around $300 USD per pound? More like a 10-15 seed packs ($25-$30 range)? Thanks.

Peace.

J-Icky

I can definitely get you midwest hemp seeds if you really want, I have to be careful being caught with midwest hemp can get me charged. I won't be able to get them until about mid September though. I have blue widow x midwest hemp, special queen x midwest hemp, and Durban poison x midwest hemp lol I just been sticking the seeds from my grows in jars the plan was to use them for sst but I don't really care.

PDX Dopesmoker about mid September the seeds are ready, but it's much easier to find stands in November as it's the only green plant left standing in Indiana. Along creeks, irrigation ditches, and railroad tracks are the best spots to find it.

Not gonna ask what part of Indiana your from but I live in northern Indiana just below Michigan and everything you’ve said about the ditch weed is true.
Round these parts once legalization started to take off across the country a few years back the local authorities quit bothering the help stands. In the late 90s they wasted so much time and money trying to eradicate it but these days it can be found in state parks and the rangers don’t even bother trying to cut it, some even encourage its growth for the seeds that the local wildlife with eventually eat.

As far as being useful for our purposes, well it’s gonna take a good decade of solid breeding to get it to be even close to worth anything as the genes in thisnhemp seem to be very dominant and even if crosses with OG or Chem the F1s would be very low THC with very little smell and a hay like taste. I’ve known a few people that had crops pollinated and then grew the seeds out and even tried the whole “make the hemp good weed” thing by planting high thc seeds in the middle of stands but in the end the hemp kills the good stuff and eventually nature just returns it to hemp.

The one thing I would like to see is a lab test to see what cannabinoids it does contain and in what ratios. For all we know it could contain cannabinoids that have long been bred out of modern drug strains and could just as, or even more useful than CBD.