What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

IAA FOR ROOTS WHEN?

shaggyballs

Veteran
Thanks to dizzlekush

indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) has been found to counteract any growth-promoting effect of 1-triacontanol.

Hormones are finicky in solution, IAA being the most finicky.
IAA is a naturally-occurring auxin but is not widely used because it is readily metabolized into inactive forms by the plant tissue.

IAA degrades in the light and is susceptible to destruction in the plant by IAA-oxidase.
IAA-oxidase removes the carboxyl group(COOH) making it ineffective as an auxin.
Thanks spurr
• IAA (indoleacetic acid) or Auxin: (Gk. auxein, to increase) Promotes growth; controls cell elongation
(increases number of H+-pump in tonoplast - extension of vacuole), inhibit growth of lateral buds (apical
dominance), orient root/shoot growth, promotes cell division, root growth, at low concentration prevents
abscission of leaves and fruits, among other effects. Excess auxin-dosage causes death due to growth
beyond sustainability. Tryptophan is the precursor of IAA; IAA occurs in the tips of shoots, leaf
premordia, young leafs and is transported down to the root tips of the vascular cylinder.

shaggyballs

Veteran

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Hi Shag,
Why do you want the IAA? I get that it is natural... but the two others do basically the same simply that they are cheaper, way more stable etc. blabla....

mrrangz

IAA is far superior too IBA and NAA. I use IAA along tria with no ill effects.

IAA is just not stable and degrades fast, and IAA functions as both IBA and NAA.

IAA combined with 6-BA will give killer roots.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Hi Shag,
Why do you want the IAA? I get that it is natural... but the two others do basically the same simply that they are cheaper, way more stable etc. blabla....

Power clone seems to work better than some other products I have tried.

I was hoping to improve on the IBA products that are out there.

shaggyballs

Veteran
IAA is far superior too IBA and NAA. I use IAA along tria with no ill effects.

IAA is just not stable and degrades fast, and IAA functions as both IBA and NAA.

IAA combined with 6-BA will give killer roots.

If you could please:
Share your knowledge of this hormone, as everyone else says they like IBA.

What PPM IAA to 6-BA are you using?
In hydro?
Or cloner?
shag:tiphat:

mrrangz

IAA has almost the same function as IBA/NAA combined, its just easier to mix IAA vs IBA/NAA (more work)

Im assuming people like IBA for its stability property but there is no info on how really IBA is stable vs IAA. IBA still tends to degrade in the presence of light.

I do rock wool or foliar spray and its an even dose for bap i do .5ppm and iaa as high as 10ppm.

soak the cubes with a bit of nute solution. i use dyna grow at .5ml per gal.

shaggyballs

Veteran
Thank you very much for your quick reply!!:tiphat:

Do you prefer KOH or another solvent for IAA?
Thanks again for you time !!!
shag
:smoke out:

Only Ornamental

Spiritually inspired agnostic mad scientist
Veteran
Here's a link to a publication explaining the differences between the different natural auxins (KLICK). You may need a university account or a friend willing to send you a PDF copy...
A free picture from the graphical abstract of that publication:

Attachments

• 1-s2.0-S0168945210003444-gr2.jpg
    1-s2.0-S0168945210003444-gr2.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 45

shaggyballs

Veteran
UH Ya!:dunno:
Uh I think I just got a migraine tryin to comprehend that diagram.
Thanks though!!!!
I am sure it will help those who actually have a brain cell or two left but I believe I would be studying for a long while before I could benefit from it.:biggrin:

Maybe I should blaze one and just stare...ya!!!!!:dance013:

Your information and time is always appreciated OO.
I read the abstract and tried to obtain the PDF but no luck.
Maybe a kind hearted soul here could post it or send me a PM.
Thanks again
shag

shaggyballs

Veteran
I am just harassing you!!!!:biggrin:
:laughing:I was half serious and half smart ass on that one.
I often post things that I can't fully comprehend hoping someone will benefit from it!!!!!!
So even though it is over my head I am glad you posted it!!!!:)
It is always good to hear what you have to say.....sometimes I will finally understand it after reading something else!!! 2 and 2 together ya know!!
Incidentally I did blaze and stare.......while it was fun I don't think I gained any ground!

My wife swears smoke comes out of my ears when I read one of your posts. LOL

Keep it coming OO.:dance013:

Cayenne

"The mechanism of auxin action includes both fast responses not involving gene expression, possibly mediated by Auxin Binding Protein 1 (ABP1), and slower responses requiring auxin-regulated gene expression mediated by F-box proteins. These two mechanisms of action have been described to varying degrees for the major endogenous auxin indole-3-acetic acid (IAA) and for the synthetic auxins 2,4-dichlorophenoxyacetic acid (2,4-D) and naphthalene-1-acetic acid (NAA). However, in addition to IAA, plants synthesize three other compounds that are commonly regarded as “endogenous auxins”, namely, 4-chloroindole-3-acetic acid (4-Cl-IAA), indole-3-butyric acid (IBA) and phenylacetic acid (PAA). Although a spectrum of auxinic effects has been identified for all these as well as several other endogenous compounds, we remain largely ignorant of many aspects of their mechanisms of action and the extent to which they contribute to auxin-regulated plant development."

-Plant Science
Volume 180, Issue 3, March 2011, Pages 454–460
(Why plants need more than one type of auxin)