What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Bangladesh Sativa

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Since the Bangladesh Sativa thread is in the Picture Forum and not here I decided to start this thread here where it really belongs.

A long time ago there was a guy from Australia named Loader on Over Grow. He told a long story about a sativa from Bangladesh which I can't remember. But anyway he also sent seeds out to a lot of people and I got some of those seeds. I recently soaked them and did not think they had much of a chance because they were so old, but four of them came up. So as they grow older and if they are worth posting pictures of I will. But in the meantime I was wondering if there are any others out there that have had any experience growing this sativa out.
Please post any results or pictures you may have.
Oh, and when Loader sent the seeds out he sent a copy of the Legend of these seeds and instructions on how to tame her, if anybody has those it would be great stuff to read again. I lost mine in the shuffle. :peacock:

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
A kind friend on another board posted his copy of Loaders letter that came with the seeds. It sounds so delicious reading this again.

From Loader:

Around the mid 1970's, a pair of Australian hippies made their way to India. During their meandering exploration of the mystic land, they decided to head eastward for Bangladesh and entered the 'land of marijuana.'

I don't have details on all that they did there, but what came out of it was seed they picked from some top looking herb they purchased in a market south of Dhaka, in a town called Narayanganj(I haven't got a clue what that interprets to, only I notice it has another 'ganj' or 'marijuana' in it's make up)...

To attempt to get to the point, The strain arrived back in Nimbin, Australia, in the mid 70's and from there it came into the hands of an enthusiast who, recognising it's qualities, revered it above anything he ever came across and used it for all of his commercial grows. He's been growing it along the sides of Nimbin's Tuntable Creek ever since and his love of the strain has made him loyal to preserving it's purity...

It is an unadulterated landrace sativa strain that has been selectively inbred to maintain it's qualities. It came into my possession around 10 years ago and I've kept it true in that time. Since my smoking days began in the mid 70's, I've come across a hell of a lot of good weed but this one is my main stay...
Some of my early experiences of her were devastating! I would rock around to a friends house of an evening and he'd pull it out in front of me, load a single hit cone in his pipe that we'd sit there sharing it till it went out because we'd just gotten lost. I'd often forget where I was and as I used to look out from his windows at the night lights below where he lived, I'd freak that I might be anywhere, in another dimension, New York, Mars, I didn't know...it was mind blowing in the truest sense!

I'd get home hours upon hours later, yet the high would invaribly be pursuing me and it would just kept on hanging in! Many might doubt this before they've experienced it for themselves, but it commonly hangs in for around 8(eight)hours, where you are too high to pick up a ringing phone within that time. If we were smoking a joint, that would usually occur from sharing about half a one paper blunt between the 2 of us, the rest of it would just go out without our noticing.

One night I remember, he must have pulled out a particularly mature bud, it was an amberish color so I'd say it probably was. Phew! Oh boy! I was totally ripped and suddenly he had this urge to get his lifetime photo collection out to reminisce over. Somehow he found his way to his school photos dating back to his primary school days. I found myself looking at this photo he handed me and I was lost in it for a while. I went from face to face in the pic and I recognised em,' one by one, I went through each person recalling their names...Oh, that's Steve McKewan, Nancy Carter; and so it went on and on and I ended up working through most of the class line up and I vividly remembered each of em' and their names. I began looking for myself, I remembered all these people so I just had to be there somewhere! The search went on, then it dawned on me that this was his school photo from another side of town in an another era some nine years before my time. I was really spun out over it!

It's really that hallucinagenic!. Bangladesh is a very cerebral and trippy high but it has an amazing gravity that helps to balance it out against excessive paranoia. Well, you might be interested to know about it's grow...

The Bangladesh Sativa is what we here, call a long termer, that is it has a longer than usual veg period and won't flower until daylight hours drop somewhere below 13 hours. They won't flower under 2 months of age irrespective of light hours.

They are a modest yielder although I've had big specimens outdoors here in the subtropics, yielding more than 12oz.

They reach heights of around 18 feet/5.5 metres if they are left unchecked so they do tend to be a bit leggy.

In their grow, they smell extremely sour, like something really acidic that chemically rips at the membranes of your nose...

I grow them 100% organically in the great outdoors, to see the best results. Typically, I start them at the beginning of the last month in Autumn, around 4 weeks before the onslaught of Winter. I then take them right through Winter, Spring, Summer and Autumn, until they are around 13 months of age just around the beginning of Winter. I usually prune them all the way to prevent them from sticking up above the undergrowth. They still usually end up at around 3 metres height and averaging around the 10oz mark(not a huge yielder as I said)...

This strain is great for the fact that it has no modern genetics in it. It's buds withstand our heaviest subtropical wet seasons here and she is simply the most mold resistent strain I've ever grown...

When the bud comes in at harvest, the stuff smells really special but to get to this stage, I let them go through until they're sweating out every last drop of resin. The plants go through a metamorphosis of color change, leaves turning a deep golden orange and slowly working their way to the top of the plant. When this golden colour tinting works it's way into the buds themselves and not just to the external leaves protruding from them, I know they're ripe. It is so easy to miss the magic of this strain if you're an impatient grower, eager to cut the buds down. She saves all her real magic to her very last and then spews it out all at once...I've seen people miss it from being to hasty to harvest.

Well, at this stage the buds are a cerulean(sky) blue colour with golden orange overlays penetrating the colas. They sparkle like jewels which they are! Their odour is unreal. If you've ever smelt lavendar, that's their smell! It has the most appealing smell of any of the bush bud I've come across over the years...Being an old landrace strain, this stuff does tend to burn a bit hot though. It can make you cough and whatnot. I put up with that a bit because, in the end, you end up smoking far less of this stuff than pretty much anything else I know of...

These girls cure so much faster than commercial weeds of today. I've seen em' hang dry in around 3 days. It seems to store indefinitely; I've drummed it up and brought it out a year or so later almost as good(in every regard), as the day she went in to storage...

It's flavour is a bit more indistinguishable in a joint but in a cone you can taste a fruityness similar to the taste found in White Widow only it is a fair bit coarser in it's make up, though it doesn't carry the medicinal taste.
It's buds form very compact, hard nuggets. They are pretty resilient to hermaphrodite on the whole, on an average year, I'd see around 2% showing up in the females. The males are always true, never turning hermie.Outdoors, they flower for around 12-14 weeks from the time they start showing flowers and comprimising only dissappoints in terms of the final product. These girls are real sun soakers that flourish in an open subtropic to tropical environ.
They grow surprisingly well indoors but it never really seems to give them their true potential. Indoors they require around 12-14 weeks from 12/12 turn down...

I crossed her with Aloha's White Widow a couple of years back and the cross was so strong it was silly. I was crashing into walls walking down the length of my hallway and I had really violent bed spins when I hit the sack, it was a wonder I didn't pass out. Oh, I was so ripped! Drunken is probably a better way to describe it, perhaps the most intoxicating herb I've smoked! That stuff was such exceptionally fine product, I reckon it might have won a cup only I ain't the man for putting in entries. I recall an old connoisseur who was so in love with it, he buried an oz. In a jar for 2 years to preserve it for a rainy day...

The Bangladesh are an antique from the past. The Nimbin Hemp Embassy gave out some 20,000 of them at the Nimbin Mardigrass Cannabis Festival 4 years ago. They could have easily made their way around the earth since that time...

Regards,
Loader.

Species: An unadulterated landrace sativa
Origin: Narayanganj, Bangladesh, 1975
Climate: Prefers an outdoor subtropical/tropical environment
Sow: For subtropical/tropical regions, Late Autumn or early Spring
Veg: A longer than average veg that will not trigger flowering till daylight
falls somewhere below 13 hours. Will never flower below 2 months of age
Flowering time: Outdoors 12-14 weeks from initial flowering
Indoors 12-14 weeks from 12/12
Harvest: Late Autumn, or as late as early Winter in more tropical zones that allow it
Height: Unchecked, they will reach heights of around 18’/5.5m
Yield: They are a modest yielder yet big specimens can exceed 12oz
Smell: During grow: Acid sour
After curing: The bright smell of lavender flowers
Flavour: A little coarse/hot but has a resemblance to the light fruitiness of White
Widow, without the medicinal taste
Fertiliser: Responds well to any fertilisers but best results for potency
and smell, come from a 100% organic grow
Potency/high: A very cerebral high that is laced with sufficient body so as
not to induce excessive panic. The high is extremely intense and long- lasting, enduring up to 8 hours if properly matured. She creates a romantic predisposition toward the world around you, lending itself to loose philosophical rambling and in it’s prime she is vividly hallucinogenic
Storage: Stores exceptionally well for long periods, preserving most of it’s
qualities of potency and smell
Drying: Hang drying renders it dry within as little as 3 days
Buds: Compact, hard buds that turn sky blue near harvest, developing flame
orange hues and sometimes turning brown at fullest maturity
Mould: Extremely mould resistant
Hermie: All males are hermaphrodite free; females average around 2%
Breeding: Selectively inbred; open pollinated in an isolated location
Other: Prefers a subtropical to tropical outdoor environment, where they can be
started before the onset of Winter. Started late autumn, allows you to rid males within the first 2 months, allowing you to be free of carrying them unnecessarily through the main grow. They require big exposure to direct sunlight. Strict organics renders the best final product in terms of potency and duration of high. She conserves the best of her magic till final metamorphosis renders golden hues to it’s buds. Patience pays off big-time with this one! Good luck!

Roms

.bzh
Veteran
Nice knowledges! Thanks for sharing the vibes Ran' and good luck with yours, looking forward the greens! :)
Fast sativa stuff with compact buds make me think about an indi/sati North India ganja origin than South jej'...

bodymind

Veteran
Holy moly.... That description sounds great!! Please do a seed run and preserve what sounds like a very unusual gem! I'm going to be on the edge of my seat for a long, long time waiting to see how she turns out!

H

Hoover_lungz

love to see sum pics:)

last time i saw bangla weed was back in 06 in sylhet region.

Raco

secretion engineer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Bangladesh sativa, a cure for disbelievers was the title of the thread...I know I still have a few pages in paper...will try to find them for you Randy, my old friend :tiphat:

CosmicGiggle

Veteran
I grew it indoors years ago and the BSat requires a lot of room for the roots - takes a long time to finish too, which is no surprise.

I don't recall any of the indoor growers getting the legendary high though.:gaga:

purple clouds

Veteran
i grew these out in 2003-2004. the flowering time is alot longer then loader wrote. you are in for 24+ weeks to get the best out of her. Here is some more info from loader i found for you. i'll post pictures that i saved from overgrow when i find them.

Attachments

• bangladesh1.jpg
    bangladesh1.jpg
    62.2 KB · Views: 32
  • bangladesh.jpg
    bangladesh.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 26

guineapig

Veteran
Not only did you receive the seeds, but also a Legend.

Not a guide on how to grow them, but a Legend.

A Legend, a mythology in which the plant plays a central role. Awesome. :abduct:

:ying: kind regards from guineapig :ying:

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
Hola Raco, Que Pasa ?
I knew you would have some intel on these.
24 weeks is what I remember people saying back on OG
I knew it was going to be a commitment. May be time to play some tricks.
Purple Clouds, thank you for that! That's what he sent with the seeds, if I remember correctly.
Gonna have to burn a few watts to do this girl indoors. I think a case of light dep is called for. In the mean time it's veg and dream.

huligun

Professor Organic Psychology
Veteran
Some people have such a poetry in describing a trip, a feeling, sex or weed. It is not a lie, it is an opinion. That is why a movie is never as good as the book, or a possible let down in a strain. I have been on a quest for the perfect sativa myself. I am setting up a bathroom in my townhouse to be a little perpetual flower room, and I am ready to commit to growing in the weeks to come. I plan on having three strains: an eight week strain, a ten week strain and a 12 week strain (purple og, blue dream and super lemon haze) sounds like the ticket, but it is not set in stone. After 12 weeks it is getting kind of long. If I lived in the country maybe. I will be watching this thread and I am subscribed. I can't wait to hear the smoke report. What I am looking for in a sativa is a laughing grass. Something upbeat but not necessarily Maranoia

M

MrSterling

Randy, pardon my forwardness but any chance of seed production with these? Absolutely delighted to hear the seeds popped and that you're sharing this log with us.

bushweed

Veteran
I live in the Nimbin/Tuntable Falls/Mullumbimby area where these Bangla sats were/are grown, and can add a couple of quirky insights into the cultivar. Firstly it has been reported that the Mullumbimby Madness that Shantibaba used for El Nino/La Nina that won a HT Cannabis Cup in the 90s, contained the local Bangladeshi sativa:
"Mullumbimby Madness = traditional South-Asian and landrace Australian (Nth NSW in Aus) sativa mix from “Old Mother”: Thai (50%, female) x Colombian Sativa (25%, male) x Bangladesh Sativa (25%, male)"
http://webcache.googleusercontent.co. ..ient=firefox-a

Secondly, the Tuntable Falls area just outside Nimbin, where Loader grew the Bangla sat is famous in Australia for the Oz "Mango" sativa that was grown there in large quantities in the 80s and 90s. It was said to be a giant sativa with a distinct sour mango flavor that was very strong, long-lasting and psychedelic. i scored this fine herb a few times as a teen and can say it is the most exotic herb I have encountered. There are a lot of old hippies who grow dope in this neck of the woods, but the Falls specifically is a fairly small area, and I wonder if there is any connection with the Bangla sat and the Oz Mango sat.

Lastly if anybody wants to see them grown to their full potential, please send some seeds my way:laughing:

RandyCalifornia

Well endowed member
Veteran
OK, got five seeds to pop and they are transplanted into three inch pots and are a lot stronger then I thought they'd be considering their age.
Again... I will make seeds and share as has been shared with me. I'm hoping I get a male along with some nice females.

purple clouds

Veteran
eye candy from overgrow

Attachments

• 03-04-04-008--Large-.jpg
    03-04-04-008--Large-.jpg
    55.3 KB · Views: 27
  • 03-04-04-007--Large-.jpg
    03-04-04-007--Large-.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 29
  • BSFullPlant.jpg
    BSFullPlant.jpg