Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Question Regarding Inline Fan / Filter and Speed Control

Thread Title Search
Question Regarding Inline Fan / Filter and Speed Control Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-02-2018, 06:37 AM #1
devo6786

devo6786 will become famous soon enoughdevo6786 will become famous soon enough
Question Regarding Inline Fan / Filter and Speed Control

Hey all,

My cab is 1.75 feet x 1.75 feet x 2.75 feet. I am currently running CFLs but may switch over to an LED panel if I have the space after installing my fan/filter

I ordered the Phresh 200 CFM filter and the hurricane 4" inline fan rated at 175ish CFM, also got a speed controller.

I know this is kinda overkill for my space, but wanted the option to upgrade my space in the future if I want to. Plus, noise isn't a HUGE issue, as its in the guest room in my apartment, but Smell would be an issue as I share walls on both sides of my unit.

So my question is: The fan is SUPER loud on its normal setting. Even if sound isn't a huge issue, I dont want it to sound like a jet in the room. When I use a speed controller to turn down to "Low" its definitely more manageable. Will keeping the fan on "Low" reduce the effectiveness of the carbon filter?
devo6786 is offline Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 06:39 AM #2
devo6786

BTW - this is a 2 plant grow

Old 03-02-2018, 09:51 PM #3
Guy Brush

Guy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really niceGuy Brush is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo6786 View Post
Will keeping the fan on "Low" reduce the effectiveness of the carbon filter?
Actually no. There are also noise reduced fans and tubes.
Guy Brush is offline Quote

Old 03-02-2018, 10:16 PM #4
starke

starke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to allstarke is a name known to all
Even running at 1/4 speed you are doing about three air changes a minute in your box so you should be good. Search on here for homemade solutions to silencing both your fan and your exhaust.
“We've all heard that a million monkeys banging on a million typewriters will eventually reproduce the entire works of Shakespeare. Now, thanks to the Internet, we know this is not true.” ~Robert Wilensky

"Spread the knowledge, be humble if you don't know, be helpful if you do, if you are wrong, admit it quickly and emphatically, and overgrow the world." (SuperWeed 2017)

"Always keep in mind that when the hearse pulls up to pick you up, there is no trunk or luggage rack on that bitch." (Author unknown)

Current Grows: https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread....343153&page=38 Page 38 forward

Real Gorilla Seeds Sour Orange Diesel Grow
starke is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2018, 03:14 AM #5
Dropped Cat
Six Gummi Bears and Some Scotch

Dropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant futureDropped Cat has a brilliant future
A duct muffler has reduced the whoosh of my
fan to a modest noise I can easily ignore/misdirect.

If you're handy, with some hand tools you could
do it yourself for 30 bucks or less.

After installation, I knew my wind tunnel was tamed,
and I could focus on growing, not freaking out about noise.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:36 AM #6
devo6786

Thanks guys, so my fan at low and a duct muffler are the answers

I was mostly concerned that turning the fan down all the way to low would make the filter ineffective, glad to hear that shouldn't be an issue once my plants start flowering.

Old 03-03-2018, 04:51 AM #7
devo6786

One more question:

I would like to keep the filter and fan in the cab, but the only way that is possible is to have the filter on the floor, the fan directly on top and then ducting out. I also have space to have it set up so I can add a muffler on top of the fan and ducting out of the cab.

The other option is the filter inside the cab at the top, ducting out. The fan and muffler on the outside of the case.

I know its better to have the filter higher, but in a space like this will a make a huge difference?

Pictures for reference. The first one is the filter on the ground, the second one is the filter at the top of the cab
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8800.jpg
Views:	29
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	448196 Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8801.jpg
Views:	20
Size:	26.4 KB
ID:	448197

Old 03-03-2018, 05:14 AM #8
Americangrower

Americangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant future
Should be fine on the floor. You may have to run it at a higher fan speed if temp goes up.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341071
Americangrower is online now Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 05:17 AM #9
Americangrower

Americangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant futureAmericangrower has a brilliant future
You could always push air through filter and leave fan in box to help with noise.

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=341071
Americangrower is online now Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2018, 05:28 AM #10
devo6786

Ive read that pushing instead of pulling is as effective, but im definitely not opposed to that if it'll work well for smell