Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > High brix foliar spray?

Thread Title Search
High brix foliar spray? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2016, 11:00 PM #11
lifehack

lifehack will become famous soon enough
ya a brix level is important but as are all keys.. major key to MJ is an undying passion.
lifehack is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2016, 11:05 PM #12
exploziv
pure dynamite

exploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivor
Quote:
Refractometers (A.K.A Brix Meter)

Refractometers are a simple optical instrument that measures the amount of light refracted in a liquid. Refractometers measure on a "Brix" scale and measuring the Brix level of fruits and vegetables is very important because it is a great indicator of flavor and quality.

The higher the brix level of your fruits juices is, the higher the dissolved solids in the foods juices such as sucrose, fructose, vitamins, minerals, amino acids, proteins, hormones and all the other goodness that the plant puts into the food is. It is estimated that in a healthy fruit or vegetable, approximately 80% of the brix is represented by the natural sugars which give the food its great flavor and goodness. It is believed by many people to be the best indicator of quality available in one quick and simple test.

Refractometers are a standard piece of equipment for many Agronomists and is a standard tool used in the fruit and citrus industries. Juice factories and vineyards especially use refractometers so they can measure the level of flavors in the juices and blend them to consistent brix level every time. Many companies are also now offering big bonuses to farmers who can produce high brix fruits because it means they have to add less artificial sweetener to the juices which are devoid of any nutritional value (unlike natural sugars).

We hope that someday, every kitchen will have a refractometer so people can test the quality and nutrient density of the foods they are consuming.
from https://www.agriculturesolutions.com

As you can see, brix level measured by a refractomer is not just the sugars, but all disolved solids. It's similar to measuring density of the sap. And even the sugars levels would yeld a good result, cause the more energy a plant gets, the more sugars it produces. But brix is measuring more than just sugars and indicates the health level of the plant.

If the whole world smoked a joint at the same time, there would be world peace for at least two hours. Followed by a global food shortage.
exploziv is offline Quote

Old 02-12-2016, 12:06 AM #13
Collembola

yes; the point being, with marijuana; you want the plants fan leaves etc completely depleted at harvest time ????

with the calyx and trichomes (primary) healthy, BUT the fan leaves cannabilised;

please explain, how having a plant rammed full of nutrients at that stage is a good thing ?

mmmmmmm smoking starch, sounds lovely

marijuana doesn't bear fruit, and we only smoke the flowers because they have trichomes on them....

a trichome is not a fruit OR a vegetable ???

(as far as i am aware ?)

---------------

i will stfu though, sorry for posting, but i think i am being more objective (no-vested interest), although i will take ignorant etc; sorry.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:23 AM #14
Collembola

what about low humidity to increase "resin" production etc / environmental stressors, whatever effecting the plant negatively, yet BENEFICIAL to our human cause (i.e. getting baked)

would not the refractometer indicate this is a bad thing to ?.

also on effects on stretch etc etc ?, plants through the ceiling, but "not enough brix", up and up and up, they go, yes master refractometer.

?

Old 02-12-2016, 12:33 AM #15
exploziv
pure dynamite

exploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivorexploziv is a survivor
I never said you should measure levels just before harvest, but it's a nice tool to have when comparing different growing methods and products to see how they are working. an educated grower who is using a refractometer will have none of the problems you are bringing up. it's not a fix-all tool, it doesn't takes all envoirment factors into account and owning one will not make you a good grower instantly, but it can certainly help when you use it right. and it's not at all expensive.

here is my "brix kit":

If the whole world smoked a joint at the same time, there would be world peace for at least two hours. Followed by a global food shortage.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-12-2016, 12:46 AM #16
Collembola

but why would an educated grower need one ?

it sounds like it is more for the un-educated, who is too lazy to learn how to grow using their own initiative ?

any needless expenditure is wholly expensive.

----------------

if it is rendered useless at flowering, then what are the people going to do, at that time when their lord and saviour no longer has divine powers ?,

just a $20 stick ?

would you say a $20 stick is expensive ?,

Old 02-12-2016, 01:05 AM #17
exploziv
pure dynamite

I guess each grower has to make a choice about the need for a brix refractometer and about 20$ price of it being expensive or not. I didn't buy a magic tool, so I don't expect any special powers from it.
It's funny how you can be so intense about a tool you did not even heard of just 1 day ago. Guess you don't need one. That's cool.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:32 AM #18
Aksala

Aksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really nice
Again...just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's not true.

Read about plant vibrations and what attracts insects to certain plants but will leave other stuff alone. It's incredibly interesting and making a choice to be ignorant of any of that while arguing your point isn't a good look.

What you see on the outside doesn't always indicate whats going on on the inside.

Especially when it comes to flavor.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:38 AM #19
Aksala

Aksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really nice
What brix levels are you getting explosiv? My meter should be here tomorrow.

Old 02-12-2016, 01:55 AM #20
exploziv
pure dynamite

Most of the time it's around 15. In flower I managed to get near 18, but i rarely test in flower. I use it mostly in veg. Any healthy plant will have at least 12, even when young.