Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > High brix foliar spray?

Thread Title Search
High brix foliar spray? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 02-11-2016, 02:49 AM #1
Aksala

Aksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really nice
High brix foliar spray?

I've been reading a lot about the high brix benefits of growing and wanna give it a try but I've already got my next 3-4 months worth of soil mixed.

But that doesn't mean I can't use a good high brix foliar...

I'm just wondering what I should be using to increase brix levels?

Old 02-11-2016, 08:10 AM #2
Collembola

i had not heard of brix before,

and upon research, it seems it is a strange device for opening up portals for spending more money.....

-----------------------

to increase "brix levels", you buy a refractometer, that then tells you, that your really expensive nutrients are rubbish, and then you have to buy more and more things

(you have to listen to it also, because it was really expensive, and you are already too deep down the rabbit hole to turn back).

----------------------

if you are at the level of botany of ammending your own compost, then i don't really think one is required.

but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along with an adequate reason for purchase.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 02-11-2016, 08:19 AM #3
ScroG Donker

ScroG Donker will become famous soon enough
Check Schrews newer thread. He and another were talking about Brix
ScroG Donker is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2016, 08:55 AM #4
ScroG Donker

ScroG Donker will become famous soon enough
Around page 4 or 5

https://www.icmag.com/ic/showthread.php?t=318114&
ScroG Donker is offline Quote

Old 02-11-2016, 10:00 AM #5
Aksala

Aksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really niceAksala is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by Collembola View Post
i had not heard of brix before,

and upon research, it seems it is a strange device for opening up portals for spending more money.....

-----------------------

to increase "brix levels", you buy a refractometer, that then tells you, that your really expensive nutrients are rubbish, and then you have to buy more and more things

(you have to listen to it also, because it was really expensive, and you are already too deep down the rabbit hole to turn back).

----------------------

if you are at the level of botany of ammending your own compost, then i don't really think one is required.

but hopefully someone who knows what they are talking about will come along with an adequate reason for purchase.

Do some google searches...its pretty interesting. My favorite thing about cannabis is all the unique flavors and from everything I've read anything high brix has incredible flavor compared to not.

You don't have to buy anything special to achieve a high brix number. Just maybe trade certain things (like trading dolomite lime for calcium carbonate).

It's all about remineralizing the soil and it makes sense to me. I fucking LOVE orange bell peppers. Sometimes you bite into them and they explode with flavor...a tropical storm in your mouth. Other times they are bland as shit.

Apparently that's from the brix level being high (great taste) vs low (shit taste). I'm going to find out about it.

https://maximumyield.com/blog/2014/11...g-up-the-brix/

Pretty cool read...While I won't fully drink the kool-aid until I've actually done this myself (including my vegetable garden) I am just a homegrower and my main concern is improving taste/smell (plus the bug resistance is very appealing). So I don't have a huge amount of $$ at stake here....so changing how I do things isn't that big of a deal to me.

I get the if it ain't broke don't fix it attitude...but what if it is broke and you just don't know it?

Old 02-11-2016, 10:01 AM #6
Aksala

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScroG Donker View Post
Cool thanks.

Old 02-11-2016, 10:58 AM #7
Baron Greenback

Earth Juice do a thing called "Briximus Maximus" for a final foliar feed in flower, that might be the sort of thing you're after.

Old 02-11-2016, 09:59 PM #8
Collembola

isn't brix refering to the measurement of carbohydrate levels ?.

i only grow tomatoes, not very well mind (lot of admiration for home-veg growers).

but flavour seems very much genetic based to me ?

i can totally see why it is usefull for boosting fruit / veg >TASTE< because they taste great when "sweet and carbohydratey"

but for something you smoke / whatever, i don't get why high carbohydrate is of benefit ?

don't you infact want LOW carbohydrate at harvest time ?, with cannabis ?,

it sounds a bit like the marijuana community has found a new toy to play with ?

but i am obviously miserable / narrow minded / >insert insult here<

Old 02-11-2016, 10:02 PM #9
Collembola

if you excuse the oxymoron...

Old 02-11-2016, 10:54 PM #10
Aksala

Quote:
Originally Posted by Collembola View Post
isn't brix refering to the measurement of carbohydrate levels ?.

i only grow tomatoes, not very well mind (lot of admiration for home-veg growers).

but flavour seems very much genetic based to me ?

i can totally see why it is usefull for boosting fruit / veg >TASTE< because they taste great when "sweet and carbohydratey"

but for something you smoke / whatever, i don't get why high carbohydrate is of benefit ?

don't you infact want LOW carbohydrate at harvest time ?, with cannabis ?,

it sounds a bit like the marijuana community has found a new toy to play with ?

but i am obviously miserable / narrow minded / >insert insult here<
You really need to read up on it instead of just saying "I don't get it"...

It is very well explained if you take the time to read up on it.

Just because you don't understand something doesn't mean it's not true.

Now...like I said. I'm not drinking the kool-aid 100% until I find out myself the difference in the quality (taste/smell/pest resistance/overall plant health). But there is absolutely no reason to not try something because you don't understand how it works.

I've ordered a refractometer ($20...not exactly breaking the bank) and I'm going to test it on all produce I buy (and the stuff I grow) and make my own comparisons on flavor.

Have you literally never smoked the exact same strain grown by two different growers and not noticed a difference in taste? Because I've noticed difference in taste from different runs on my own strains.