Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > what causes "helmet head"...???

Thread Title Search
what causes "helmet head"...??? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-30-2013, 06:39 AM #11
wildgrow
Frosty Half-Ginger

wildgrow has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by mack 10 View Post
I plant my seeds into soil and never get this problem. only if its a really light soil, I've heard people say to add extra clay to your soil to prevent this from happening. do you all germ into root riot cubes or something?
I pop in towels and then stick em in root plugs. Don't know what brand they are. Locally made and Ive got an inside connection.

SSC Lot M69 F2???

The Crap I Have to Deal with...
wildgrow is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 12:15 PM #12
yortbogey
To Have More ... Desire Less

yortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivoryortbogey is a survivor
yortbogey has completed 2 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
bump

i got a river for a soul...

Darlin' I'm a nightmare...
Dressed like a daydream~~~
yortbogey is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 02:07 PM #13
John Deere

John Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of lightJohn Deere is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by rasputin View Post
It's from not planting them deep enough, usually. A light misting helps.
John Deere is offline Quote

Old 03-30-2013, 11:55 PM #14
nachoconqueso
Banned

nachoconqueso will become famous soon enoughnachoconqueso will become famous soon enoughnachoconqueso will become famous soon enough
I agree with it being from not planting deep enough. A word of warning here, it is better to be patient and let the seedling work the shell off on its own. I have recently used tweezers on two seedlings of SS bubblegum and both were stunted and mutant looking. Apparently it happens often.
nachoconqueso is offline Quote

Old 04-02-2013, 12:25 AM #15
VenturaHwy

VenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to allVenturaHwy is a name known to all
As long as the stem is getting light then the seedling is getting stronger and the shell does not have to come off right away. A drop of water on a finger applied to the shell will soften it so it will come off by itself... I rotate the cup so the water drop moistens all parts of the shell, I do this a couple of times a day till the shell falls off.
VenturaHwy is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 04-02-2013, 09:36 PM #16
Chemovar
Banned

Chemovar has a spectacular aura aboutChemovar has a spectacular aura aboutChemovar has a spectacular aura about
I noticed this too. Try soaking your seeds in water for 24 hours before you plant them I think some seeds just have thiker shells and they need a little help. if you squeeze the sides the continue to split and just slough off the first leaves make sure you also get the little sac of skin that can also cling onto the leaves.
Chemovar is offline Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 03:03 AM #17
wildgrow
Frosty Half-Ginger

wildgrow has disabled reputation
As far as not planting deep enough, couldn't that also be a moisture factor? After all, soil hold moisture better than air does. So Im clear for myself, the shell softens in the moist medium.

Does anyone pack their soil down? I don't think airy soils are rough enough to muscle a shell off.

SSC Lot M69 F2???

The Crap I Have to Deal with...
wildgrow is offline Quote

Old 04-03-2013, 03:18 AM #18
noyd666
OUTLAWS GREEN ROOMS.

noyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivornoyd666 is a survivor
when put into seedling cup, of coco I top off with a small mound of seedling gravel =sand, it pushes the shell off as it emerges, if not I spray and prick the hat off with a sharp small nail.
noyd666 is offline Quote

Old 04-05-2013, 04:01 AM #19
Tony Aroma
Let's Go - Two Smokes!

Tony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of lightTony Aroma is a glorious beacon of light
It's not just not planting deep enough. It's also planting with the root pointing down. If you germinate in a paper towel, you should put the seed in the soil with the root pointing slightly up or to the side. I've seen a time lapse somewhere showing what happens when the root starts out pointing upward. As the root starts out upward then bends down, it gets leverage that sort of rotates the seed up. That twisting through the soil helps get the seed shell off. If the root starts out pointing down, it just pushes the seed straight up, making it more likely for the shell to stay on. Of course you also need to have enough soil for the seed to push through, so planting too shallow is also a problem.

A picture is worth a 1000 words:

Get up, stand up. Stand up for your rights.
B. Marley

Last edited by Tony Aroma; 04-05-2013 at 04:20 AM..
Tony Aroma is offline Quote

3 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-12-2018, 02:51 AM #20
kanehbosmshaman

kanehbosmshaman is on a distinguished road
Quote:
Originally Posted by VenturaHwy View Post
As long as the stem is getting light then the seedling is getting stronger and the shell does not have to come off right away. A drop of water on a finger applied to the shell will soften it so it will come off by itself... I rotate the cup so the water drop moistens all parts of the shell, I do this a couple of times a day till the shell falls off.
LOL getting stronger as it quickly turns into a foot long thread of stem. Maybe the shell will eventually release but by then you have to cut the stem and try to get the stunted thing to root again, give a couple months to veg and maybe you'll get a six inch plant to flower
kanehbosmshaman is offline Quote