Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Does Seed Size Mean Anything?

Thread Title Search
Does Seed Size Mean Anything? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-05-2009, 12:19 AM #11
guest 77721

Did anyone notice that the top seeds are all immature. They are all light green colored and the two in the bottom right are dark but not mottled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jawnroot View Post

The above pic compares these big bag seeds (darker, larger, toward the bottom), to standard breeder stock (lighter, smaller, toward the top). The smallest bag seed is still double the size of the largest breeder seed. You can tell from how they're lined up that the bag seeds occupy twice the space, when compared to the breeder's. For reference, the breeder seeds range in size from average to above average in size.

Old 07-05-2009, 05:48 AM #12
lordbudly

lordbudly has a spectacular aura aboutlordbudly has a spectacular aura aboutlordbudly has a spectacular aura aboutlordbudly has a spectacular aura aboutlordbudly has a spectacular aura about
size is dictated by calyx size and maturity, i dont know if this has any merit but ive read some breeders pollinate less parts of the plant and more plants, because it leads to bigger healthier seeds then a plant trying to make all those beans mature
4) at a party, whipping out a poorly rolled doob is embarrassing.
Just for you Paz

Sometimes it feels like the world has given up on you... and you almost feel like its time to give up on it
lordbudly is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-05-2009, 07:02 AM #13
jawnroot

jawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura about
s13sr20det: I do indeed plan on doing a log. The only problem is, I'm going to be moving soon, and don't know all the details of my new pad yet. So before any growing gets done, I have to get that whole situ mapped out, to see whether or not growing will be a feasible possibility. Either way, it'll be at least four months before I can get a start to finish log up. If I remember, I'll drop you a PM when/if I get it posted.

These seeds show some serious promise though, and I'm eager to grow them out. I smoked some of the weed these guys came from earlier today, paying careful attention this time to the quality of the high, etc. I mean I'm talking the tiniest pinch of bud, enough for two or three good hits. Definite creeper, but I was stoned to the bone after about 20 minutes. The smoke is on par with any seedless headies, and it's literally full of seeds. So yeah, these are getting grown out for sure -- sooner or later (hopefully sooner).

Growing bagseed is always such an exciting proposition. I'm not talking mexi brick, but those rare seeds you pull from a bag of good bud. And for me, the shit has to be totally seeded for the seeds to be a contestant for growing. Cause in my eyes, those "one in a pound" seeds are most likely the result of a hermi-cross. But when you find a bag that's completely seeded, it's almost guaranteed that the progeny came from a male-female cross. Going one step further, if the weed you got them from turns out to be good, while still being fully seeded, then you've got yourself some serious testing stock. I can probably count on one hand how many times I've come across bag seed that meets all these criteria, and this latest batch certainly does. I'm pretty pumped to try them out (if I haven't said that ten times already :wink.

redgreenry: I think you need to adjust your monitor. The seeds at the top (both on my screen, and in real life) range in color from medium-dark brown, to light gray. I've been doing this for a long time, and can tell just by looking at them that they're all viable. And what's more, those are breeder's seeds, still sealed in the breeder pack, which were purchased less than two months ago, and refrigerated since new.

One thing to bear in mind: fresh seeds have a dark coating on them, like a thin skin. It's analogous in some ways to the brown, papery stuff that's on peanuts. In the second big bag seed from the left in the first picture, you can see that brown coating beginning to flake off, revealing the uniformly light-gray seed beneath (which, I should note, has no mottling). In my experience, most or all breeder stock has had that papery coating removed, probably as a result of sorting and packing.

Immature seeds are generally a very, very light tan (almost white), or green. The Afghani#1s you're referring to are neither. The best test of viability, in my experience, is to get the seed between your thumb and index finger, and squeeze hard. If the seed collapses, it's crap. If it doesn't, it's probably good.

I've gotten seeds from breeders that looked completely immature, but they passed the squeeze test, and subsequently went on to germinate. Indeed, if time and experience has taught me anything, it's that you can't (in general) look at a seed, and predict it's ability to germinate. I've heard the color thing, I've heard the stripes thing, the mottled thing, the "if it floats it's bad" thing, and without a doubt, nine times out of ten those predictors are wrong. I've looked at seeds that appeared so immature that it felt like a waste of time to squeeze test them. But I did, they passed, and subsequently grew.

So by the by, do a squeeze test on questionable stock, and if it passes I'd give it a 95% chance of germinating, provided you have shit together on your end.

Links:
**Smart Butter
**Rooibos Weed Tea
**Bubba Kush + Afgooey
**Pure Blend Pro Feed Schedule
jawnroot is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2014, 02:00 AM #14
Johnnyseed

Johnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura aboutJohnnyseed has a spectacular aura about
I wonder if the size has something to do with where The Plant Is From. If sativas have smaller seeds im assuming that they're that size because the efficient weather they get. And indicas grow in more strenuous weather so they need to be bigger to survive??

Just a hunch
Johnnyseed is offline Quote

Old 07-20-2014, 02:15 AM #15
bottomland

bottomland will become famous soon enoughbottomland will become famous soon enoughbottomland will become famous soon enough
fresher seeds r bigger.
bottomland is offline Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 02:14 AM #16
angelgoob

angelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really nice
Think of it as a reserve that lasts longer enough to get to flower. And think about how bigger seeds are indica and little ones sativa.

Do sativas have to fight past other plants? No they're fine on their own in certain spots in their region. Plently of spot for them.

Now and indica. that's colder weather. they need to mature faster. have you ever thought it was holding the power in case it's roots got locked up or cold? They - since they are closer to flower than sativa...uh...they figured out how to get roots set and enough light gatherers.

To test this you could put them both in sand and let them die and see who wins.
Over time they'd learn to make bigger seeds if you just barely let them run out of energy then re-nuted them.

Then the time to flowering will shorten or can shorten.

Old 03-03-2018, 03:07 AM #17
sourpuss
Rainman

sourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud ofsourpuss has much to be proud of
Quote:
Originally Posted by bottomland View Post
fresher seeds r bigger.
sourpuss is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-03-2018, 01:31 PM #18
angelgoob

angelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really niceangelgoob is just really nice
bigga boiiiiii!

Yeah, they're mature.

Now how to inject with chemicals that make them big.

Did you know deep red or IR or something can make bigger seeds? Just have a good source of light.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:50 PM #19
Kankakee

Kankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the roughKankakee is a jewel in the rough
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmulok View Post
small seed is usually a sativa large seed is indica
hope this helps

this is correct MOST of the time.

my hemp fiber seeds ( sativa L ) are very, very small almost black but mottled but most plant will reach 13, 15ft. i also have seen thai seeds that are very large and grey.

Last edited by Kankakee; 03-03-2018 at 02:24 PM..
Kankakee is offline Quote

Old 03-03-2018, 02:41 PM #20
Natural high

Natural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud ofNatural high has much to be proud of
Seed size means very little in the overall scheme of things. It is mostly genetic and as long as they are mature and still viable they can make great plants. In a batch of seed the biggest might be the dud and the little runt the future elite clone only. It is much more important to concentrate on giving a plant optimal conditions to thrive than worrying about which seed is the biggest or has the coolest designs on it..

Natural high is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.