Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > Does Seed Size Mean Anything?

Thread Title Search
Does Seed Size Mean Anything? Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 07-04-2009, 06:32 PM #1
jawnroot

jawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura about
Does Seed Size Mean Anything?

Earlier today I was over a friend of a friend's place, and she whipped out some seeded bud. It didn't look phenomenal or anything, but the quality of the high was quite good. In fact, good enough where I asked her to save me the seeds as she was breaking it up.

So I'm taking my first good look at them now, and they're really big, almost what I'd call huge. Some of the largest I've ever come across, and easily double the size of seeds I normally get from breeders. Calling them "beans" is almost a literal truth with these.

So I guess this begs the question, what do big seeds mean? I know it's just a genetic trait of the plant they came from, but I'm curious if seed size correlates to anything in particular.

The above pic compares these big bag seeds (darker, larger, toward the bottom), to standard breeder stock (lighter, smaller, toward the top). The smallest bag seed is still double the size of the largest breeder seed. You can tell from how they're lined up that the bag seeds occupy twice the space when compared to the breeder's. For reference, the breeder seeds range in size from average to above average in size.

Links:
**Smart Butter
**Rooibos Weed Tea
**Bubba Kush + Afgooey
**Pure Blend Pro Feed Schedule
jawnroot is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2009, 07:03 PM #2
shaunmulok
Don't drink and drive home, Smoke dope and fly home

shaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to allshaunmulok is a name known to all
shaunmulok has completed 1 grow reports. Click to see my Grow Reports
small seed is usually a sativa large seed is indica
hope this helps
shaunmulok is offline Quote

2 members found this post helpful.
Old 07-04-2009, 07:07 PM #3
guest 77721

The seed contains stored energy for the seedling to develop it's first roots and leaves so the larger the seed, the better start the seedling has.

I've had good luck with my first packet of seeds Dutch Treat x Shiskaberry. I'd say these are "normal" sized seeds and sprout quite nicely. Recently I've aquired Atomic Thai Lights and LUI which were tiny beans and difficult to get going.

I've just crossed the LUI and TL and the seeds are a bit larger than the breeders but still smaller than normal so it definately is genetics.

Now one of my coworkers started seedlings for his garden on a sunny windowledge in his office. You can't believe how fast a pumpkin plant grows from seed and how large the cotlydon is. Definately seed size is important.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:30 PM #4
lysol

Smaller seeds pop earlier. Its funny because we popped a big huge seed from bagseed and it grew into mids, but like you said some of the breeder seeds are really small. It really depends on the breeder though, some seeds I've bought I look at and go "youre kidding me it looks like a sunflower" but then it grows into chronic anyways. Basically I would consider the only diff. to be that a big seeds needs more water to pop. I am sure a larger seed contains more mass but not sure if that means that mass means it has more food or if that gives the seed a better chance, sometimes the seeds that look like theyd be almost dead are the most lively.

Old 07-04-2009, 07:38 PM #5
VirginHarvester

VirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really niceVirginHarvester is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmulok View Post
hope this helps
Hope that's true because my Wonder Haze seeds are tiny so maybe they lean to the SSH. My supposed authentic Santa Marta Colombian Gold seeds also quite tiny. Other than that I haven't noticed much diff between sativa/indica seeds.

I just hope I can get the small seeds to germs and come up and figure I'll need to be most careful with them.
VirginHarvester is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2009, 07:55 PM #6
jawnroot

jawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura aboutjawnroot has a spectacular aura about
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaunmulok View Post
hope this helps
That's a good factoid to know, and was more or less what I was trying to find out. Did some poking around the net, and apparently the pure sativas (haze, etc), have tiny seeds, whereas it would seem the indicas tend to go larger. This is gravy for me, because I'm an indoor grower and super-huge, super long sativas are a no-go.

As an aside, the breeder seeds pictured with the bag seeds are Afghani#1, and are among the largest seeds I currently have in my breeder collection. So maybe these bag seeds are from a super-indica? Wishful thinking, but I hope they give me something good.

Links:
**Smart Butter
**Rooibos Weed Tea
**Bubba Kush + Afgooey

Old 07-04-2009, 08:10 PM #7
B.C.
Non Conformist

B.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to allB.C. is a name known to all
hmm...

I don't think that rule of thumb holds true. Sensi Seed's Hashplant are purdy small, and Spice of Life Sweet Tooth 3 & 4 are also very tiny. That's off the top of head, I'm sure there are more indica's that have small seeds. It doesn't seem to affect them from growing into nice plants though. my BC
Once I thought I saw you in a crowded hazy bar, dancing on the light from star to star. Far across the moonbeam I know that's who you are, I looked in to your eyes and I saw fire! Before that moment you touched my lips, that perfect feeling when time jus slips, away between us on our foggy trip....
B.C. is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2009, 08:17 PM #8
jawnroot

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.C. View Post
I don't think that rule of thumb holds true. Sensi Seed's Hashplant are purdy small, and Spice of Life Sweet Tooth 3 & 4 are also very tiny. That's off the top of head, I'm sure there are more indica's that have small seeds. It doesn't seem to affect them from growing into nice plants though. my BC
I think it's more of a very general guideline, not so much a rule. In other words, not all average to small seeds are necessarily sativa, but most or all large seeds tend to be indica.

My own theory/hypothesis, based upon some reading and anecdotal accounts, suggests large seed is a recessive, indica trait. Which means that if a plant has any sativa in it (which, I believe, hashplant and Sweet Tooth do), that recessive trait will be overruled.

All I know for sure is that the weed I got these from was pretty damn good, especially considering it was chock full o' seed. I'm thinking if I can get bud at least that good from these seeds, I'll be doing pretty well for myself.

Links:
**Smart Butter
**Rooibos Weed Tea
**Bubba Kush + Afgooey

Old 07-04-2009, 09:54 PM #9
s13sr20det
admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof.

Location: Paddling my boat up the dum dum river, planting shitapple trees
s13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud ofs13sr20det has much to be proud of
Those are some nice lookin seeds! do you plan on doing a grow journal for them?
I love bagseed grows

peace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guest 88950 View Post
you 1st need to get results before "Kickin' it up a notch"........example: if your 1st plants die from ph off, then not killing the next plant would be "Kickin' it up a notch"
s13sr20det is offline Quote

Old 07-04-2009, 10:24 PM #10
deathtosoapbar

Not sure about this but from observation in the past when pollinating in hydro the resulting seeds were always normal size but since ive been organic pollinating a crop seems to lead to massive healthy seeds...made some mandala#1 x nevilles haze and they were big and striped seeds...i sent some into seedbay fundraiser so maybe someone bought them...or at least someone at seedbay will have seen them...pretty big seeds