Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Growing Questions > First time, 4x4 led grow, donít know what leds to choose

Thread Title Search
First time, 4x4 led grow, donít know what leds to choose Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 03-08-2018, 12:42 AM #1
iGrow420710

iGrow420710 will become famous soon enough
First time, 4x4 led grow, donít know what leds to choose

Hi there,

As already mentioned I canít decide what LEDs to go for. Looking at kind led, advanced platinum led or optics led.. also thinking if I should go with 1 big one or 2 smaller ones

Any help would be high appreciated
iGrow420710 is offline Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 12:43 AM #2
FunkBomb
Power Armor rules

FunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of lightFunkBomb is a glorious beacon of light
Horticulture Lighting Group HLG-550.

-Funk

Bertrand Russell
FunkBomb is offline Quote

Old 03-08-2018, 12:59 AM #3
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Look into Timber Grow Lights.
The offer kits that you can assemble yourself or build your own frame. All the latest top bin COB components and skip all the salesmanship hype of companies sell cut rate Chinese stuff. Your money goes for the quality parts not advertising and overhead. I bought a kit and built my own frame and got a better light for my money.

Do yourself a favor and look into kits like these. I bought one of the ďbrand nameĒ lights and ended up selling it on eBay. Do your homework before you spend a penny.
https://timbergrowlights.com/?gclid=...SAAEgIAE_D_BwE
stewart169 is offline Quote

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 03-08-2018, 01:11 AM #4
iGrow420710

Quote:
Originally Posted by stewart169 View Post
Look into Timber Grow Lights.
The offer kits that you can assemble yourself or build your own frame. All the latest top bin COB components and skip all the salesmanship hype of companies sell cut rate Chinese stuff. Your money goes for the quality parts not advertising and overhead. I bought a kit and built my own frame and got a better light for my money.

Do yourself a favor and look into kits like these. I bought one of the ďbrand nameĒ lights and ended up selling it on eBay. Do your homework before you spend a penny.
https://timbergrowlights.com/?gclid=...SAAEgIAE_D_BwE
Thanks for your quick reply. To be honest I am not too great with electrical let alone a handy man so I will have great difficulty in creating my own. Taking that into consideration, what would you advise?

Cheers

Old 03-08-2018, 02:16 AM #5
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

stewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nicestewart169 is just really nice
Quote:
Originally Posted by iGrow420710 View Post
Thanks for your quick reply. To be honest I am not too great with electrical let alone a handy man so I will have great difficulty in creating my own. Taking that into consideration, what would you advise?

Cheers
The kits are stupid easy. All the wiring is done. The plugs are color coded so you just plug them together. The even sell frames premade depending on your grow area size. You just assemble them. Easy. There are other kit makers but Iím not current on who since I have my light and am not looking any more. Doesnít hurt to call them up. They were helpful for me.
Regardless of what you buy donít run out and make the mistake I did. Didnít spend enough time learning about lights. Itís the most expensive and important part of settling up your tent. Donít get in a hurry and have buyers regret from some salesman hype. Educate yourself before you spend a dime. Canít repeat that enough.

Old 03-08-2018, 02:43 AM #6
stewart169
IC Mag Supporter

double post

Old 03-08-2018, 09:16 PM #7
iGrow420710

I’m from UK and need to find something sourced around here to maintain a warranty too hope you guys can help.

Old 03-09-2018, 01:00 AM #8
Phaeton
Speed of Dark

Phaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud ofPhaeton has much to be proud of
Wink

At this stage of tech it is hard to find an LED with a bad spectrum, all the name brand units, even the less expensive, have good light.

What most of them do not have is constant intensity over the plant. Almost every single light is hot in the center. A 4 x 4 area would have five times the light in the 2 x 2 center compared to the edge.

With that in mind it is always better for the plant to have two or more lights for health and size.
A brand with good reviews for reliability versus initial cost are a good start.

The latest purchases have been 230w 'Dwarf Star' full spectrum at $2/watt. Bought two, liked them, bought two more. No failures in three years.
Bought two 400w 'Black Dog' full spectrum at $3/watt, liked them and bought a third. All three had diodes out before the third year. Warranty is good but lights were gone almost a month.

All in all tried six brands over 200 watts each, those two are the favorites.
Amare' has good reviews at $2/watt but have not personally tried that brand.

Pictured is an Advanced XTE 400 and Platinum P600 on top with ILS 150w passive sidelight. These are not my favorite overhead lights and are used in veg rather than the bud room.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	630w Above, 300w side. 96w 10% UVB side, 39w Far Red side.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	183.3 KB
ID:	448931
Phaeton is offline Quote

Old 03-09-2018, 01:58 AM #9
iGrow420710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaeton View Post
At this stage of tech it is hard to find an LED with a bad spectrum, all the name brand units, even the less expensive, have good light.

What most of them do not have is constant intensity over the plant. Almost every single light is hot in the center. A 4 x 4 area would have five times the light in the 2 x 2 center compared to the edge.

With that in mind it is always better for the plant to have two or more lights for health and size.
A brand with good reviews for reliability versus initial cost are a good start.

The latest purchases have been 230w 'Dwarf Star' full spectrum at $2/watt. Bought two, liked them, bought two more. No failures in three years.
Bought two 400w 'Black Dog' full spectrum at $3/watt, liked them and bought a third. All three had diodes out before the third year. Warranty is good but lights were gone almost a month.

All in all tried six brands over 200 watts each, those two are the favorites.
Amare' has good reviews at $2/watt but have not personally tried that brand.

Pictured is an Advanced XTE 400 and Platinum P600 on top with ILS 150w passive sidelight. These are not my favorite overhead lights and are used in veg rather than the bud room.
I think I am going to go for 2x P600.. whatís your thoughts?

Old 03-20-2018, 11:24 PM #10
iGrow420710

Have you ever heard of Enlite Sundisk?