What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

THC testing in legal states-Really?

EvergreenState

I was unable to keep my perpetual grow going at the moment because we are selling the house. So for really the first time, I've been going around to different pot shops trying theur wares. I bought a few things here and there in the past but I smoke my own stuff 99% of the time.
In Washington all the testing info. is one the package so I know the thc percentage. In the past month to six weeks I've probably purchased small amounts, eights, of 8 to ten different strains. Many of them showing thc percentages of 25% and up.
Expecting to be blown away by these high percentage thc strains, I've been pretty disappointed. Many times the buds look great, smell good, taste good, burn nice etc. But where is the potency? I don't have a real high tolerence but I can smoke much more than I usually do with my stuff and I ain't feelin' it. The high doesn't seem to last long either.
I ask the budtenders to recommend particular grower's products that they think are really good and I give those a try; not working. I'm guessing that current testing methods are not very accurate at all or my pot is just much better. The samples I buy actually look better than what I can do and many of thrm smell great but man, they don't deliver.
By the way, I consider myself to be a very average grower. Like I said, the stuff looks better than mine so I know these growers know what they are doing. The potency, from the stuff I've tried, just doesn't live up to what the high percentages would lead you to believe.

thailer

i worked on a couple farms in washington and one part of my job was slapping labels on product. it was for one of the top five selling farms. i was told to rip off afghani labels and replace it with blue dream. they print off a high scoring test and then put that on any product that is the same strain no matter what date it was harvested. also i have heard that testing facilities will give higher test results depending on how many prepaid tests you are buying so the more money you spend at the labs, the better your test results will be compared to other companies. that last is just rumor tho.

all the big farms have russets and my first week there, the employees told me they have to get rid of the russet mites in the next week or they are going to shut down for a 45 day re-entry period for a professional exterminator??? i shit you not a week later on monday i get to work and there are signs on all the doors saying it was ok to enter after 6am and the room was treated with safers sulfur, pyganic and silica. i had seen this before and the plants would have a white residue on the leaves from the sulfur. this time they did not and the leaves were shiny and still a little wet looking. my arms itched and i got a red rash working that day. it took two days to go away and i went to work and the same spray sign was on the doors this time.

so i open the door and the plants have the white residue spray. my arms were not bothered either. then on the weekend, the IPM manager sprayed the weird spray again and my arms got really bad rashes all over it. then about a week later, they announced that we did in fact kill the russets. lol then three weeks later after the mystery spray wore off, the russets were back again. i got relocated into packaging at that time and saw a whole other side to it.

prerolls are sifted shake that is basically powdered with a blender and shoved into joints. the russet mites were destroying plants in bloom so they were harvesting at 5 weeks and making it into prerolls.

if you want to find companies at least that are tested by labs for pesticide and other stuff, Uncle Ike's legal store requires random testing of it's farms products so anything they sell in the store is safe to smoke and they have a website which lists who is failing and why.

but more to your original point, i haven't really found a company that can get you stoned like smoking your own weed. i did pick up a quarter from a company called Sustainabus that was memorable and i got pretty stoned from it. i don't buy the premium label products tho.

GOT_BUD?

Weed is a gateway to gardening
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I don't live in a legal state.

When I got to visit Colorado last year, I bought various pre-rolls and a couple "enhanced" cones (had oil and kief added to the flower). Plus single grams of various flower, pen carts, kief and waxes/oils.

I was so disappointed in all of it. My home grown tastes better and gets me higher for longer. Even the "enhanced" joints were lack luster. I got really high. But what little flavor there was stopped after 2 drags.

The kief was so so, and had no real flavor.

The pen carts and waxes/oils I can get here on the black market. CO's were of better quality than what is local though.

The live resin diamonds were really the only thing exceptional about the trip. Mainly because I had never had crystallized THC before. And the flavor was amazing.

Drewsif

Retail outlets suck. Not only do they suck, its mind bending how bad they suck... Never saw anything like it before. Not from Mexico, not from Canada. This mass produced American bud is useless. The new domestic shcwagg is worse than old imported shcwagg.

Consider yourself lucky if you can actually smoke the stuff. When I lived in Az, 99% of the bud smelled like something other than Cannabis (fungicides, pesticides, fake terps,horta oils, medium "terrior", dirt road "terroir", nutes,additives, snake oils, boosters, dryer sheets, plastic tubs, starchy paper products, you name it). The kids at the park are smoking better tasting grass than medical cardholders in Az.

bsgospel

Bat Macumba
Veteran
Testing labs have a margin of error ~17% and it differs from which bud on the plant gets tested. Asking the trichomes/cannabinoids to be completely uniform across the entire plant is quite a task indeed. We did this test at one of my grows, same plant- two buds. One was 24% the other was 13%. Concentrates get quite a bit closer in uniformity but it's still not perfect.

thailer

elvymusikka_AP11092709277.jpg

give it another few years and it will be as great as this :laughing:

luposolitario

as turns laps the omelette however remains a scam, if I buy that I read 25 % or more, and then maybe and only 12-15 % remains scam ,
a little the game of the menus, but also the brochures of some seeds banck,once promised great things and then maybe it was crap,or half-half, happen by the born of umaniti . also to mcdolad or burgher king, see sandwich big large ,excitament near to try make dirti whit one,u attend ,and arrive a small ugli 2 pieces of...thats is

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
If you want THC, buy the high % strains. Personally, I've only purchased cannabis from a dispensary a few times that I liked. It happened to be from only one dispensary, and they've been closed for over a decade.

When you line up various offerings of the same strain in blind testing trials, each with different THC levels, people almost exclusively go for the 10-15% THC versions with the most terpenes.

Yes, there's a f-ton of b.s. going on behind the label but you'll have a better experience if you shy away from the strains listed as super% THC. ;)

EvergreenState

i worked on a couple farms in washington and one part of my job was slapping labels on product. it was for one of the top five selling farms. i was told to rip off afghani labels and replace it with blue dream. they print off a high scoring test and then put that on any product that is the same strain no matter what date it was harvested. also i have heard that testing facilities will give higher test results depending on how many prepaid tests you are buying so the more money you spend at the labs, the better your test results will be compared to other companies. that last is just rumor tho.

all the big farms have russets and my first week there, the employees told me they have to get rid of the russet mites in the next week or they are going to shut down for a 45 day re-entry period for a professional exterminator??? i shit you not a week later on monday i get to work and there are signs on all the doors saying it was ok to enter after 6am and the room was treated with safers sulfur, pyganic and silica. i had seen this before and the plants would have a white residue on the leaves from the sulfur. this time they did not and the leaves were shiny and still a little wet looking. my arms itched and i got a red rash working that day. it took two days to go away and i went to work and the same spray sign was on the doors this time.

so i open the door and the plants have the white residue spray. my arms were not bothered either. then on the weekend, the IPM manager sprayed the weird spray again and my arms got really bad rashes all over it. then about a week later, they announced that we did in fact kill the russets. lol then three weeks later after the mystery spray wore off, the russets were back again. i got relocated into packaging at that time and saw a whole other side to it.

prerolls are sifted shake that is basically powdered with a blender and shoved into joints. the russet mites were destroying plants in bloom so they were harvesting at 5 weeks and making it into prerolls.

if you want to find companies at least that are tested by labs for pesticide and other stuff, Uncle Ike's legal store requires random testing of it's farms products so anything they sell in the store is safe to smoke and they have a website which lists who is failing and why.

but more to your original point, i haven't really found a company that can get you stoned like smoking your own weed. i did pick up a quarter from a company called Sustainabus that was memorable and i got pretty stoned from it. i don't buy the premium label products tho.

Freightening stories like yours Thailer are what kept me away from retail stores. Although I've never heard of the awful insecticide situation you encountered. Fuck Me that's bad.
I'm going to have to search for retail outlets that have some certified organic stuff. I saw something once from some retailers in Portland that offered some of that. Hell even if it's weak, at least it won't be toxic.

thailer

well the thing is that each farm offers different brands that all use the same cannabis. so the top buds are premium and are packaged as such with fancy glass packaging. then the middle sized buds are packaged as midlevel brands in blister packs or jars. then lower nugs that aren't bad enough to be made into edibles, concentrates, prerolls are packaged as economy buds.

the place i worked at sells 200+ different products sold as different brands so when you're at the store looking, it looks like different companies but its all the same bud marketed differently. when you flip the package over it will say what farm produced it so honestly, the likihood, you've already purchased one of their products, could be fairly high. all up and down the westside of WA.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
If you want THC, buy the high % strains. Personally, I've only purchased cannabis from a dispensary a few times that I liked. It happened to be from only one dispensary, and they've been closed for over a decade.

When you line up various offerings of the same strain in blind testing trials, each with different THC levels, people almost exclusively go for the 10-15% THC versions with the most terpenes.

Yes, there's a f-ton of b.s. going on behind the label but you'll have a better experience if you shy away from the strains listed as super% THC. ;)
I was aware of that when shopping.

2 that I definitely remember being really disappointed with was a Durban Poison pre-roll that tasted like nothing after 1 pull and did not get me high at all, and SSH flower that tasted like hay that did get me really high for about 20 minutes, then quickly faded into nothing.

In comparison, the plain jane dutch sweet skunk variety I have right now gets me really high after one bowl for about 45 minutes, then I want another. And it tastes like weed. Nothing extraordinary, but there is a definite taste that wasn't there in the CO bud.

White Beard

This all just confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a long long time: that THC is a red herring: that is, it’s a number, not a meaningful standard

Remembering back to when “delta-9” was identified as “the molecule that gets you high”, I dug into the details as deep as I could, and what I came up with, in summary, were entirely physiological indicators: dilated pupils; dry mouth; a shift in spatial orientation; sudden hunger...at higher levels dizziness, reddened and perhaps watery eyes. That is to say, ALL the things a cop could look for as indications of cannabis intoxication; in other words, teach LEOs that’s what ‘high’ looks like, and BAM! You be high when they stop you, even if you’re not....

Ever since, the same drum has been beaten by everyone - THC is what gets you high, layer after layer of it, over and over, it’s become a snake-oil bullet point: the Big Lie in action; but the tests weren’t designed or intended to determine whether or not the user liked the experience, wanted to repeat it, or just stopped for some fries and a milkshake on the way home from the test. The researchers weren’t pursuing science, they were using methods and tools of science to answer a specific question: what are the observable indications of marijuana influence in a user. The point was to find a component of cannabis - ANY component - would produce observable physical changes: changes that law enforcement could use as grounds for search and or arrest; “delta9” also produced metabolites that, while inactive, remained in the body for as much as 30 days. Dr. Carleton Turner @ Ole Miss, “America’s marijuana expert”, then was able to develop a urine test that could detect those metabolites (@ ~65% accuracy), and the piss test was born...making Turner quite wealthy for being the grower of the world’s lamest pot.

I want to emphasize this point, it’s not minor: this was only a ‘scientific experiment’ in the sense that they HAD TO EXPERIMENT TO FIND *A* component, of ALL the cannabinoids and other constituents of cannabis, to find THE ONE that would let them answer the question and please their law-enforcement clients, who could THEN train their officers to look for those specific signs and consider them grounds for further investigation to search, to impound, to run a piss test....

We’ve bought their lie, to be blunt, and we keep repeating it, and agreeing (if we don’t challenge) when we hear it.

Experientially, I’ve always felt that the emotional, mental, and spiritual effects of being high was altogether different than the mere physiological signs of consumption - that the wealth, and mix, of cannabinoids at large were all players in the quality, duration, and range of effects. Many ‘old stoners’ have agreed with me over the decades, and for a single simple reason: the longer one uses, the less noticeable those physiological symptoms become, even when ripped to the gills. This makes you *seem* not high, you don’t “present” as a stoned person. Maintain your composure and they almost certainly can’t tell.

This point also bears emphasis, too: one of the things that they did is to create the piss test...and use it to “prove” you were still high when they made you pee, even if you pee weeks later - or had another toke in the meantime.

The point of that whole exercise was to arrest and convict, not to keep the public safe.

So I’m honestly not surprised to hear the general agreement that there’s a mis-match between putative THC levels and satisfaction with the stone received. Add to this the jiggery-pokery related by thailer - and scams like “predictive analysis”, which I heard Kevin Jodrey raving about once, and I’m left with absolutely no reason to pay any attention to delta-9 levels: one way or another, they’re meaningless as a guide to the consumer even when they’re *not* bogus.

I am as always open to PROOF...but I’ve seen none, despite looking for a long time; so I can be persuaded I’m wrong, but “because SCIENCE!!!” doesn’t cut it anymore.

For one last databit, since lab-testing became a thing, most of the powerful old landraces have shown themselves to be “surprisingly” low in delta9, compared to the modern countertop crops, yet able to kick righteous ass nonetheless. 12-15 years ago, the first ‘diesel’ something came through here, but since then, with all the ‘improvements’, the new weed seems to stuff pillows, not kick ass.

Sure does smell/taste/look good, though.

Gotta add a bit more here (there’s more above as well):

Having just kicked everyone’s favorite dog, I await the snapback.

Last edited:

Gry

This all just confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a long long time: that THC is a red herring.

Remembering back to when “delta-9” was identified as “the molecule that gets you high”, I dug into the details as deep as I could, and what I came with, in summary, were entirely physiological indicators: dilated pupils; dry mouth; a shift in spatial orientation; sudden hunger...at higher levels dizziness, reddened and perhaps watery eyes. That is to say, all the things a cop would look for if he thought you might be high....

Ever since, the same drum has been beaten by everyone - THC is what gets you high, but the tests weren’t designed or intended to determine whether or not the user liked the experience, wanted to repeat it, or just stopped for some fries and a milkshake on the way home from the test. The point was to find a component of cannabis - ANY component - would produce observable physical changes: changes that law enforcement could use as grounds for search and or arrest; “delta9” also produced metabolites that, while inactive, remained in the body for as much as 30 days. Dr. Carleton Turner @ Ole Miss, “America’s marijuana expert”, then was able to develop a urine test that could detect those metabolites (@ ~65% accuracy), and the piss test was born...making Turner quite wealthy for being the grower of the world’s lamest pot.

Experientially, I’ve always felt that the emotional, mental, and spiritual effects of being high was altogether different than the mere physiological signs of consumption - that the wealth, and mix, of cannabinoids at large were all players in the quality, duration, and range of effects. Many ‘old stoners’ have agreed with me over the decades, and for a single simple reason: the longer one uses, the less noticeable those physiological symptoms become, even when ripped to the gills.

So I’m honestly not surprised to hear the general agreement that there’s a mis-match between putative THC levels and satisfaction with the stone received. Add to this the jittery-poker related by thailer - and scams like “predictive analysis”, which I heard Kevin Jodrey raving about once, and I’m left with absolutely no reason to pay any attention to delta-9 levels: one way or another, they’re meaningless as a guide to the consumer even when they’re *not* bogus.

I am as always open to PROOF...but I’ve seen none, despite looking for a long time; so I can be persuaded I’m wrong, but “because SCIENCE!!!” doesn’t cut it anymore.

For one last databit, since lab-testing became a thing, most of the powerful old landraces have shown themselves to be “surprisingly” low in delta9, compared to the modern countertop crops, yet able to kick righteous ass nonetheless. 12-15 years ago, the first ‘diesel’ something came through here, but since then, with all the ‘improvements’, the new weed seems to stuff pillows, not kick ass.

Much enjoyed your description of Turner.

GOT_BUD?

ICMag Donor
Veteran
This all just confirms a suspicion I’ve had for a long long time: that THC is a red herring: that is, it’s a number, not a meaningful standard

Remembering back to when “delta-9” was identified as “the molecule that gets you high”, I dug into the details as deep as I could, and what I came up with, in summary, were entirely physiological indicators: dilated pupils; dry mouth; a shift in spatial orientation; sudden hunger...at higher levels dizziness, reddened and perhaps watery eyes. That is to say, ALL the things a cop could look for as indications of cannabis intoxication; in other words, teach LEOs that’s what ‘high’ looks like, and BAM! You be high when they stop you, even if you’re not....

Ever since, the same drum has been beaten by everyone - THC is what gets you high, layer after layer of it, over and over, it’s become a snake-oil bullet point: the Big Lie in action; but the tests weren’t designed or intended to determine whether or not the user liked the experience, wanted to repeat it, or just stopped for some fries and a milkshake on the way home from the test. The researchers weren’t pursuing science, they were using methods and tools of science to answer a specific question: what are the observable indications of marijuana influence in a user. The point was to find a component of cannabis - ANY component - would produce observable physical changes: changes that law enforcement could use as grounds for search and or arrest; “delta9” also produced metabolites that, while inactive, remained in the body for as much as 30 days. Dr. Carleton Turner @ Ole Miss, “America’s marijuana expert”, then was able to develop a urine test that could detect those metabolites (@ ~65% accuracy), and the piss test was born...making Turner quite wealthy for being the grower of the world’s lamest pot.

I want to emphasize this point, it’s not minor: this was only a ‘scientific experiment’ in the sense that they HAD TO EXPERIMENT TO FIND *A* component, of ALL the cannabinoids and other constituents of cannabis, to find THE ONE that would let them answer the question and please their law-enforcement clients, who could THEN train their officers to look for those specific signs and consider them grounds for further investigation to search, to impound, to run a piss test....

We’ve bought their lie, to be blunt, and we keep repeating it, and agreeing (if we don’t challenge) when we hear it.

Experientially, I’ve always felt that the emotional, mental, and spiritual effects of being high was altogether different than the mere physiological signs of consumption - that the wealth, and mix, of cannabinoids at large were all players in the quality, duration, and range of effects. Many ‘old stoners’ have agreed with me over the decades, and for a single simple reason: the longer one uses, the less noticeable those physiological symptoms become, even when ripped to the gills. This makes you *seem* not high, you don’t “present” as a stoned person. Maintain your composure and they almost certainly can’t tell.

This point also bears emphasis, too: one of the things that they did is to create the piss test...and use it to “prove” you were still high when they made you pee, even if you pee weeks later - or had another toke in the meantime.

The point of that whole exercise was to arrest and convict, not to keep the public safe.

So I’m honestly not surprised to hear the general agreement that there’s a mis-match between putative THC levels and satisfaction with the stone received. Add to this the jiggery-pokery related by thailer - and scams like “predictive analysis”, which I heard Kevin Jodrey raving about once, and I’m left with absolutely no reason to pay any attention to delta-9 levels: one way or another, they’re meaningless as a guide to the consumer even when they’re *not* bogus.

Gotta add a bit more here (there’s more above as well):

I could not agree more.

'Boogieman'

I live in Indiana and we get buds from all the legal states. I went back to buying mexican brick weed though because 9 times out of ten it gets me higher for half the price. I don't know what happened we used to get fire weed from California but lately the mexican brick smokes better than anything coming from legal states as far as potency goes.

G

GatorGumbo

I think some of it might have to do with the handling of the buds themselves as well. Mine don't get accosted and are trimmed by hand carefully to keep trich stalks and crystals intact. Going in the cure jars is the first time they touch anything at all, and then it's mostly other buds so who cares.

I've had tons of different CA dispensary offerings and 95% of it was nothing to write home about. Usually the flavours tend to be agreeable or unique, but the buzz is always blah. They never stand apart other than the smell or taste. For that environment it's great, who wants to smoke foul smelling weed when you're baking under the sun digging holes and hauling pots across the CA countryside? The flavor options are great, but even then I feel like my homegrown more than keeps up in the same regard. I can't grow 10 different strains at once in my home though.

At home I've learned to choose my buds from each harvest for the specific buzz I want, mostly based on pheno differences. Oftentimes with a good strain there is at least one that's a hammer and one that's good for going all day. Depends on the strain of course, but not necessarily on (apparent) THC percentages. THC is an undertone in most cases, and it's remarkably unpleasant on its own from what I have heard. The chemical makeup of the specific plants makes a huge difference in the effects, and a lot of that comes down to how well it was grown. Some people see that potential as yield and mass appeal, I don't but I also don't have anything against those aspects specifically.

There are ways to stress a plant that provide a desired end result, naturally. Infections, diseases, pests, and chemicals are not them though. Doesn't matter what kind of operation that is, it's growing some shite weed.

White Beard

Don’t get me wrong, I have nothing against good, clean taste, or yummy aromas, and I like “bag appeal” as much as anybody - but none of that is really what I want to hear about.

I want to hear about the guy who smoked a half a joint, started writing, and by the time he was halfway through the next, he’d written enough songs for a new album & when the band heard the new tunes they were ready to dig in and learn them. I want to hear about the artist who smoked a bowl and and started painting on a project she’d been hesitant to start, but by the end of the second bowl it was half done and she was excited about how it was going.

Remember when ‘dank’ meant STRONG, not just stinky?

Latest posts

Latest posts