What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Lime or not?

G

Are folks trending away from using lime in soil mixes? Using less or in conjunction with something else ?

slownickel

ICMag Donor
Veteran
You need to buffer with hi Ca lime unless you are in a very loose mix. Then go half lime and half dolomite.

G

You need to buffer with hi Ca lime unless you are in a very loose mix. Then go half lime and half dolomite.

Im have and I already used less than recomended generic dolomite lime this time and added solution grade gypsum powder by the cup plus per CF of base soil. The base soil is bagged and has some lime in it per their advertising. I dont want to add too much lime. Its a new mix recommended with lime but I am not sure if I should add as much the mix calls for. I have no way for sure of knowing but Im leery of adding to much Mg. Of course I could be off my rocker and completely wrong.

Im no expert but I always am leery of adding to much lime but not of adding a lot of gypsum.

Im using a variation of it now for the first time for some plants in small bags starting flower and they do look fine. I added about half the dolomite lime recommended plus gypsum at twice the level recommended for dolomite lime.

hillbil

Don’t worry too much about dolomite getting PH out of line and using half powdered limestone and half dolomite has worked well on this hill. Soft rock phosphate has P plus it has calcium and 50% liming value as limestone. Other minerals also.

h.h.

Veteran
Too much gypsum will help turn your soil into different consistancies of wallboard.
While you're minding the chemical aspects, the physical qualities will sneak up and bite ya.

thailer

they used to sell a peat moss that didn't have lime in it long ago at home depot but now all they carry are bales of sunshine mix which says it has lime added. i've wondered if this amount was significant enough that i should adjust the one cup per cubic foot caco3 that i use too.

40degsouth

Hey Stuart,
I don't think you've said what sort of soil you've got to start with, unless I've missed something, or even if you're indoor or outdoor??
I remember Tom Hill said he would take calcium over magnesium if this helps??
Cheers 40

G

Hey Stuart,
I don't think you've said what sort of soil you've got to start with, unless I've missed something, or even if you're indoor or outdoor??
I remember Tom Hill said he would take calcium over magnesium if this helps??
Cheers 40
Coast of Maine Growers mix for this batch. Looks like great soil. First time using it. I also just picked up several bags of the soil builder I will be using in the near future.