What's new

Would you live and grow in a place where you found mold in attic?

I'm in a little bit of a pickle trying to decide what to do. I found an indoor space/house that I am allowed to live in as well as grow in, friend of mine is moving in a few months and said I could rent the place when he leaves. My only concern is that I found quite a bit of mold in the attic of the house and I just want to kinda hear what people have to say in regards to the question of "Can I still live here/Would you live here, how bad is this for my health?" There is currently a round of plants going in there with no "visible" issues, really solid looking run actually so I don't think environment is being affected by this mold but I'm just trying to do my due dilligence.

I have done a good bit of research into molds, attic molds, removal, repair etc.. and have come to the conclusion that yea...mold is less than ideal to be living around, but it's very dependent on the strain, severity, and location, furthermore, I'm thinking that there are so many poor condition rental properties in my area, in all areas, that..there has to have been mold in some of the places I've lived in the past, all in all this still doesn't make it right haha but, It's either, go through the trouble of finding another landlord and space who will allow some plants or ideally I'd like to make this space work.

I've contacted some local mold inspection services to come and do an inspection and have those readings sent off to a lab, figured that wasn't a bad idea, haven't followed through on it yet but that was a plan, but another part of me just thinks that indoor growing...is most likely always gonna cause these problems, particularly in winter of poorly built homes, warm air from the house and grow room meets the cold air outside in poorly ventilated areas and thus creates a prime environment for mold to party.

Anyone care to chime in on what they would do?

Thanks

Here's an image in the attic, there is more mold between other rafters not pictured, the white stuff is insulation and beneath that is a bedroom.
We are in Colorado. Warm air has been rising up from the house into the attic, meeting the cold air, causing condensation and eventually mold.
The house is pretty poorly built, very thin walls, I'm just tryin to decide if I carry on here.. I dont plan to buy the place, just rent for a year or two.
The pickle is that..its not easy to find another space, this one is already built out and ready to go, however..cancer or any long term health effects..juice isn't worth the squeeze, problem is that I'm not qualified to say "this is fine" or "this is a big deal, you shouldn't live here", hoping someone out there might be more well versed.

ntD02ak.jpg

Last edited:

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Have a professional inspect it.

I live on the North Coast and we have more molds and spores than any place in the world. I grew up with mold. Still live with it. However, some molds are far more damaging than others.

I would seek out the advice of a professional in the area who knows. Looks neat. Nice designs.

Paddi

GanjaGrower
Veteran
It seems that someone has made a miserable isolation of the ceiling.
There is apparently no ventilation, which has caused moisture problems:crazy:

Not a place for living or growing

P :smoke:

Lost in a SOG

GrassSnakeGenetics
Yep theres no breather membrane or gap to allow dry air in and moist out.

Those boards need removing for animal habitation and correct loft aeration weatherproofing/aeration.

If youre only growing in the house then so long as you have correct environment in the grow room its sealed in you can probably get away with it.. you'll need extra dehueys running in the house.

Healthy plants in a healthy environment will be fine.

The spores from those molds like any spores can cause respiratory issues and immune hypersensitisation..

Lester Beans

Frequent Flyer
Veteran
That is some nasty black mold. I would have that removed or not live there. Most definitely have a professional test that.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I have a logical question. How long did the last guy live there and.... is still still breathing? Ask him to solve 2+2. If he says, 4 and he has lived there over a year.... you should be fine.

LMAO

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I live in a moldy house.

I can't smell it but I can see it and I know there is a leak in the roof next to the chimney that feeds the attic moisture.

It hasn't bothered the house plants in over a year so I presume growing in a tent should be OK as well. The mold in the bathroom does not appear to be spreading but I make sure the door is always open (unless being used) for good ventilation.

Rico Swazi

No I wouldn't live or grow there in the condition it is at the moment

I myself would do the homeowner a solid and let them know what was found.

The mold is bad but even worse is the dry rot causing structural damage to the rafters (trusses) One good snowfall and a good chance people may get hurt

please do not remain silent no matter what you decide

Lives are at risk so do the responsible thing and let the homeowner know

best of luck to you

aridbud

automeister
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Nope, wouldn't live much less grow there...spores get in lungs, then blood stream. STAY AWAY!

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
There are many different kinds of structural mold. Some might just be an eyesore but not that harmful. Some stuff might be very bad to live with and cause respiratory issues, skin rash, infections and stuff like that. Once mold takes over, it's hard to get rid of completely. No amount of repairing/renovating will help. You pretty much gotta burn the shits with fire and build from ground up. Judging by the pictures, I'd say bring gas & napalm and watch that place go up in flames.. Dono about growing, but I wouldn't live there no matter how cheap the rent is.

944s2

ICMag Donor
Veteran
As others have said,,no way,,health concerns being paramount. s2

BadTicket

ØG T®ipL3 ØG³
Veteran
As others have said,,no way,,health concerns being paramount. s2

Yep.

Someone suggested earlier in this thread to see how the previous occupant of the house is doing.. While that's a start and not a bad idea, it's not a fool proof method to judge the mold issues and how they might affect you. People respond very differently to different kinds of mold.

I know this family that used to live in a moldy house. Dad and younger kid were just fine living there, but mom and older kid had all sorts of problems caused by the mold. Every time I saw em, they were kinda sickly with runny noses and thing. So just because some dude who lived there earlier was fine, doesn't mean you will be. Only way to find out is to live there for a while, but again, I wouldn't risk it unless I absolutely had to, not worth it.

Rico Swazi

Agreed...Wouldn't trade what little good health I have for free rent

I feel strongly that the reputation of indoor growers is at stake which is why I suggest immediate disclosure of the problem.

OP might even get a break on rent for being honest.

One thing for certain, not gonna get any better by itself

Lets hope it doesn't come to this lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FBUe_v6Mi70

Hydro8

Run...

I have heard stories of people that were sick for months and years only to find out they had black mold. when they moved away from it they were better. Bad Stuff.

Pro Headies

Veteran
Does the roof have cobra vent across the ridge or does it have old school style vents that are in the attic walls? If it doesnt have cobra vent or a form of ridge vent that would be first thing I did. Got to go up on roof and cut the shingles/plywood back 2 inches on each side of ridge then lay the cobra vent and cap shingles. Then I'd spray mold killer on the effected areas and probably get a paint sprayer up in there and spray it with a mold killing primer for good measure.