What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Sorting Through A Bunch Of Seeds In A Small Space

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
Does anyone else notice that seeds that turn out to be males often take off quicker and show more vigor than females?
That's true for 95% of mine. It's the 5% I have to watch for.

I have some regular Autos that start showing male at 4 weeks and are usually 1-2 inches taller than the girls. Little pine cones give them away, but a few hide in the mix and won't show until they're out in the field. Have to watch them. :mad:

picture.php

picture.php

This one doesn't look male, but I won't know for sure for about month.
picture.php

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I would agree that in general, males start to take on height earlier. In my experience, they can also tend to look more like a hemp plant- i.e., one straight stalk with less branching than females of the same strain. But it's nothing you can count on, right? Unfortunately!

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Right, the only way way to know for sure is to spot pollen sacks. Early on I have my favorite plants which are usually the ones that display the most vigor. More often than not they turn out to be males, which really bums me out having to chop them down after I've grown attached to them. But hey, in the end they all get chopped down one way or another.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
:yeahthats

Does anyone else notice that seeds that turn out to be males often take off quicker and show more vigor than females?

Yes and no It depends on the variety and how one grows their plants, ime.

No... at least not while in the veg state, for me. I've had females dwarf males of the same variety and I can't tell a plants sex until they get past the primordia (pre sex) stage. Most of my tallest plant in veg, of the past few seasons, have been females. The males, for some reason, seem to be shorter. I have no idea why because I expected the opposite. This is just my experience.

And Yes...
Once the plants begin flowering the males stretch a lot more than the fems. They need to be as high above the females as they can get for the best pollen dispersion.

I almost forgot that I went and grabbed this right here in case you might be interested in keeping a lot of mothers in a small space. I figured it is pertinent to the subject matter.

JustSumTomatoes

Indicas make dreams happen
Leave your best male in the flower room, get some seeds.

I allowed my outdoor girls to get laid this season by 2 very husky citrus smelling studs lol. Have like 2 pounds of seeded bud I'm still sorting through. More seeds than I could ever pop. I'll be set for the years to come.

Jellyfish

Invertebrata Inebriata
Veteran
I know, right? I did a seed run last year, and I was like, damn. I can't believe I've been paying all this $$$ for seeds when it's this easy to make your own. It gave me a whole new perspective on seeds and growing and the potential of the genetics I already have.

redlaser

Veteran
I would say about 70-80% of the time the taller plants are male for me, and also the shorter ones when transplanted that end up being female, have a more developed root system compared to the taller plants.

MJPassion

Observer
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I know, right? I did a seed run last year, and I was like, damn. I can't believe I've been paying all this $$$ for seeds when it's this easy to make your own. It gave me a whole new perspective on seeds and growing and the potential of the genetics I already have.

I found this out 10-12 years ago and my damn seed stash is way more than I can handle by myself. But I'm reluctant to give away a lot of my work because some of my seed runs have been small. When I make WAY more seeds than I can use I give a bunch away to friends and future growers and at least a couple times in the past, to the server fund and for freebies. There hasn't been any mexi schwag in my area for a very long time!

Seeds are way more valuable than gold, imo.

And that site linked earlier is a very good secondary resource for information.

Tahoe22

I would say about 70-80% of the time the taller plants are male for me, and also the shorter ones when transplanted that end up being female, have a more developed root system compared to the taller plants.

+1
Usually same experience as you, but have been susprised by a couple lines before where 90-95% of the female population turned out to be real tall and branchy and the males were super squat and bushy

grayeyes

Kevin Jodrey talks about this on his youtube channel.

There's a lab he uses that he send them samples when the plants are just a couple weeks old that gives him the profile numbers he judges the plants on. Iirc, the numbers they can produce are sex, THC, CBD, and quite a few terpenes. But I haven't watched the video in a few months.

He says it makes sifting through seeds a shit ton faster because he can look at specific things and decide which plants are going in the direction he wants and should continue to grow those plants out, and which ones he can cull because they don't have what he's looking for.

He's doing this on a massive scale though - several thousand seeds at a time.
Every one of Jodrey's videos is a sales pitch to big commercial growers to hire Jodrey. Everyone.