What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone good at growing beets and other rootcrops (advise please)

hunt4genetics

Veteran
I am growing beets as a cool weather crop. I am wonder if anyone is really good at this and have advice for a newbie?

I am attracted to the health benefits and want a constant supply. Those who are growers of beets and other root crops and micro-greens, feel free to post your pics and advice please.

Thanks.

hunt4genetics

Veteran
Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Bulbs the size of a cantaloupe!!! That's a goal to shoot for. My native soil is overly sandy so I continue to build up with organic matter.

DrDee

Thank you for your input. I appreciate it. Bulbs the size of a cantaloupe!!! That's a goal to shoot for. My native soil is overly sandy so I continue to build up with organic matter.

The soil there was lake bed from an ancient lake called Lake Agassiz and very rich. Other local crops were corn and sunflowers.

We would dig up a few before harvest and make sugar beet wine. Amazing we didn't poison ourselves. lol

I had an Aussie buddy tell me that hamburgers down under include beet powder and fried eggs...so I tried it. Red beet powder is a vasodilator so you get satiated and an erection. Typical Aussie thinking.
JD

DrDee

Hey...I don't know what the deal is with my first post. It appeared twice...I edited one and now both disappeared. Oh well...at least you got to read it. Shit happens.
JD

Latest posts

Latest posts