What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

120v and 240v running on same light controller

So I have a question and would love if somebody familiar with electrical knowledge could chime in. I have an auto pilot APCL4DX light controller that has been wired for 220 V. I am running four 630 watt CMH Ballasts That can be powered with 120 V or 240 V. My question is can I run two lights at 240v and two lights at 120v simultaneously? A friend of mine told me that I could disconnect the gray hot wire from one of the outlets cap it And then run the white neutral wire coming of the main to the outlet that no longer as two hots. I’m wondering since the box can Powered by 120 or 240 V can I just plug to ballasts of each voltage into box without risk.

Thank you

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Why not run all 4 CMH at 240v from the light controller? I just read the instructions for that light controller, it says not to run mismatched ballast voltages.

CrushnYuba

I'm not site if i understand exactly.. But i don't see why you couldn't. I split 220 into 2x 110 legs all the time.. Most 220 wiring i see is 4 wires. 2 hots a neutral and a ground. 220 doesn't use the neutral. The neutral is just for 110 appliances that are split from Those 2 hot legs.
For instance, a dryer has 4 prongs. The neutral wire it's for parts of the dryer that are 110v like a timer or something.

So instead of dropping $30 on two new cords I want to work with what I have. Also, the instruction don't give wiring instructions for 120v but it can be used as so.

CrushnYuba

You know.. I don't think that would be an issue but who knows without having it in front of me taken apart.
The auto pilot is most likely just a double pole single throw relay. Both poles should be interrupted.
220 is really not different voltage then 110. It's just 2 legs of 110. Why don't you use the 220v auto pilot to trigger a 110v relay to be sure.

Wouldn’t this cause the 2 legs to be out of phase? I’m no elictrician, just pick up bits of knowledge whenever I can. I’m really curious as to the correct answer here. Anyone know?

Well, I’ve had to learn a lot about electricity and wiring since that last post so I figured I would give this thread a solid answer so that someone can find it in the future..

Yes it is possible. You will need to use 3 wire w/ a ground (2 hots, neutral and a ground). Either hot leg can be used with the neutral to get 110. If you are doing this, you need to try to balance each leg. So if you have 4 110 pumps you’re plugging into the 110 side of the controller, you would want 2 pumps to run off of one hot wire and neutral and the other 2 off of the other hot wire and neutral. The same neutral is to be used for both. The goal is to try to maintain a balanced load across the breaker/panel. Be sure to properly size your wire accordingly, this is extremely important. Please do your research and ask questions if you aren’t sure. Electrical fires are real. Stay safe!

Last edited: