What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Can’t Open Air Cooled Reflector-Help

Gazoo31

I have a ‘fusionbrite’ vented hood. It’s a rubber sealed hinge style. Trying to get the damn thing open to change out to an hps bulb and it will not freaking budge. I even tried using a screw driver to gently pry it open. No dice.

Because I’m in the middle of a Scrog it’s hard to get to it. Anybody ran into this before? Trying NOT to break the glass lol. Piece of garbage! Don’t feel like running an MH bulb thru flower.

DemonTrich

Veteran
I hope this isn't too obvious, but you do have your ac hood fans off!, correct?

If so, you may have missed an secure point, and or tape.

Gazoo31

Ya. No vacuum holding it shut. I blow thru the hood so I actually tried cranking it up to put positive pressure on it and still nope. Really thinking about just ordering a dominator xxl. Much better spread and easier to open but still uses a rubber gasket so I don’t know. I think it must be tweaked from shipping. Had it open twice before and it was a bear, now it’s impossible. Wonder if the gasket is baked on lol.

Edit: kinda misread your post. Ya both latches open no tape etc. Had it open before.

DemonTrich

Veteran
Hmmm, weird.

Remove other side of ducting to remove old bulb with your arm in the open port. Put new one in, replace ducting.
Done

I run all big kahuna hoods for the last 5 yrs or so. I tear off them OEM gaskets, and put 3m window gasket material (from l0wes or HD), and get a great easy open, and no leak seal.

Be super CAREFUL!, the glass is NOTbtempered glass, but RAW glass. Tempered breaks into small pieces, like your car side windows. RAW glass breaks into large pieces that can cut your to shit or KILL you easily. I was a glass tech for many yrs.

Gazoo31

Thanks for the safety heads up man I appreciate it. Good idea. Just sucks because I have that aluminum tape holding (sticky shit) the duct on as well as a clamp but for sure will do until my run is finished and I can remove the fixture

RockinRobot

Run the light with the fans off for a while, to let the hood get good and warm. Should help loosen the seal on the rubber gasket then slow steady pressure. Start at a corner. You can use a screwdriver for leverage but carefully. Once you get a corner to start should come fairly easily.

Lyfespan

Run the light with the fans off for a while, to let the hood get good and warm. Should help loosen the seal on the rubber gasket then slow steady pressure. Start at a corner. You can use a screwdriver for leverage but carefully. Once you get a corner to start should come fairly easily.

fused rubber gasket happens, this is the fix for it. you have to take shallow bites with the screwdriver to pry up and not actually be prying the whole door over and cracking the glass :tiphat: