What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

FLORIDA: Gov DeSantis promises to end medical marijuana smoking ban

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DeSantis promises to end medical marijuana smoking ban
The governor says he will stop appealing a lawsuit aimed at ending the ban if the Legislature doesn’t act
Gov. Ron DeSantis called on the Florida Legislature to repeal a ban on smoking medical marijuana and also make it easier for businesses to participate in the market, warning that if lawmakers do not act he will cease to defend provisions of a medical marijuana law that have been challenged in court.
DeSantis accused the GOP-controlled Legislature of failing to follow the will of Florida voters, who overwhelmingly approved an amendment to the state constitution in 2016 that legalized medical marijuana.
“When over 70 percent of Florida voters vote in favor of medical use of marijuana for people with really serious, debilitating conditions that is about as big a majority as you can get in this day and age,” DeSantis said during a press conference in Winter Park. “And it’s my judgment that what the Florida Legislature has done to implement the people’s will has not done it in accordance with what the amendment envisioned.”
“Whether they have to smoke it or not who am I to judge that?” DeSantis added. “I want people to be able to have their suffering relieved and so I don’t think this law is up to snuff.”
MORE: https://www.heraldtribune.com/news/20190117/desantis-promises-to-end-medical-marijuana-smoking-ban

Tudo

Troublemaker
ICMag Donor
Veteran
DeSantis was joined at his press conference by John Morgan, an Orlando trial attorney who spearheaded the medical marijuana constitutional amendment and filed the lawsuit challenging the smoking ban.
“Since this governor was elected I have been incredibly encouraged,” Morgan said, adding: “He’s read the constitutional amendment. He’s listened to the will of the people — 71 percent — and the comments he’s made have been so encouraging to me — that the people’s will should be the most important.”

Gov. DeSantis makes announcement about smokable medical marijuana | News Conference
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lJYHHwUdU4s

Last edited: