What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

male again what now?

doams

damn
got another male from pack of feminized seeds this is getting annoying :(

since want to collect pollen and have just one box thinking about waiting till sacks start to open cutting that sack and let it dry in the box then cut the sacks and mix with flour do you think the pollen wont be everywhere and it wont pollinate the f. from the next female that is not there yet?

dont want to ruin everything with tons of seeds..
how fast those sack open just saw first balls 2 days ago?

I

Ignignokt

You could just put the male outside or somewhere else without as much light if you want to flower a female under the light.

Malato

Spray down the room with bleach, I do this after every grow and it seems to work for me. If you're super worried put plastic bags over the male flowers then when they open the pollen will collect. Then move the plant out of the grow space and gather up your pollen in a far away spot. Bag the pollen wash the outside of bags and your hands in bleach. Should be good. Also email the seed company with a picture of your males, reputable vendors will usually give you new seeds or credit to buy new or different seeds.

Last edited:

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
I've put males with a weak light in small cabinets before. Tilted over a surface easy to collect pollen from.

Pick off the pods which are about to open, until you have a LOT of pods about to open at the same time. Then let it rip and drop all the pollen at once.

If you're looking at long term storage of the pollen, be sure to dry it completely before mixing it with toasted flour and freezing it. ;)

Midnight Tokar

Veteran
Once a male starts flowering they don't need much light at all. When I want to make seeds I wait til the male starts showing clusters and then put it in another room with ambient light. As soon as the flowers look like they are a few days away from opening I cut that branch off right above a leaf node and then strip the few leaves that may catch the falling pollen. I take several branches like this and put them in a small jar with water in it. Place the branches where they lean out and away from the jar and don't interfere with falling pollen from the other branches.

I then place the jar on a piece of aluminum foil in a closet somewhere out of the way. In a few days the pollen falls on the foil, I take a small water-paint brush and brush the pollen into a small pile. I usually pick 2 or 3 small lower branches on one plant and pull that plant out of the flowering room and paint the pollen on all bud sites on these 2 or 3 lower branches and then trash the male branches and the male plant.

This method consistently gives me several hundred seeds.

What breeder had males in fem seeds just curious?

Maybe they got the package labels switched on accident? Wouldn’t that be like, idk, impossible?

doams

What breeder had males in fem seeds just curious?

Maybe they got the package labels switched on accident? Wouldn’t that be like, idk, impossible?

got males from several 5 packs of dp durban fem.
they were same batch nr. so guess it was some sort of mistake .. will try more batches and will see.

Malato

got males from several 5 packs of dp durban fem.
they were same batch nr. so guess it was some sort of mistake .. will try more batches and will see.

Find a different Durban breeder man. If all you've got was males I wouldn't try another batch