What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Venting Into Attic

M

MagusMan

hey Icmag if you vent a grow tent into attic from room below attic
how do i do it so Snow dosent melt on the roof ?

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
Insulation. Lots of insulation. Significantly cheaper to put in a vent in a window of the attic or splitting your exhaust out several attic vents. If it's your house, you can put in a water-heater or other appropriate sized vent in the roof.

Venting directly to your attic can cause mold issues from the humidity. ;)

M

MagusMan

Insulation. Lots of insulation. Significantly cheaper to put in a vent in a window of the attic or splitting your exhaust out several attic vents. If it's your house, you can put in a water-heater or other appropriate sized vent in the roof.

Venting directly to your attic can cause mold issues from the humidity. ;)

the attic dosent have a window but has 6 x 6ins vents 3 on each
side of roof its freezing up there.i think i am not going to be able to
grow in this place.

is there another way i have a tent in spare room with vents open
temps 23c 55% humidty temps lights off 18 c to 19c 70% humidty
just need to buy good dehumidifier i think

eebbnflow

is it possible to just vent the tent into the same room and open the window a crack? depending on how cold it is outside it would keep the room and tent cool . Depending on your lighting you might not to open the window.

I would not count yourself out yet so many ppl use tents and don’t vent into the attic .

Ppl that vent into attics run multiple 1000s , rent the property and don’t give a shit IMO

M

MagusMan

is it possible to just vent the tent into the same room and open the window a crack? depending on how cold it is outside it would keep the room and tent cool . Depending on your lighting you might not to open the window.

I would not count yourself out yet so many ppl use tents and don’t vent into the attic .

Ppl that vent into attics run multiple 1000s , rent the property and don’t give a shit IMO

i have 6 x seedlings for my own stash.i need a solution to this because the plants are only gonna get bigger and was thinking would a dehumidifier help with reduce humidty to say 50%
i need to get help quick because i cant afford too waste the leccy
if i have too cut them.maybe i should look into a setup up for 1 plant
under a lower watt light

Douglas.Curtis

Autistic Diplomat in Training
What is your end goal? Can you grow what you need with a smaller light?

A dehuey is going to add heat, so reducing the amount of heat you're producing with your lights will help. Building your own LED array is an option for some, buying good quality LEDs is not cheap, but is also an option for some.

Dropping your humidity will work much better if you can seal the room. Personally, I use an a/c unit in a window of my grow room, then use a tent or smaller room inside it. There are units with dehumidifiers in them as well. While you're sealing up your room to control humidity, you'll want to read up on CO2 equipment and plant needs.

It would be a royal pain, but you could split your exhaust into 2 6" ducting runs, one to each attic vent. You'll need a flattened ducting end for the vent, and a flared fitting for a 6" duct on the other. The more bends, the slower your airflow will be and the less air you'll end up moving.

hush

Señor Member
Veteran
Forget the dehuey and add a window AC to the room. Kill two birds with one stone. That's how I roll. I exhaust all of my tents straight into the room where they reside, and a window AC dehumidifies and keeps temps in there. I honestly can't imagine doing it any other way now.

M

MagusMan

What is your end goal? Can you grow what you need with a smaller light?

A dehuey is going to add heat, so reducing the amount of heat you're producing with your lights will help. Building your own LED array is an option for some, buying good quality LEDs is not cheap, but is also an option for some.

Dropping your humidity will work much better if you can seal the room. Personally, I use an a/c unit in a window of my grow room, then use a tent or smaller room inside it. There are units with dehumidifiers in them as well. While you're sealing up your room to control humidity, you'll want to read up on CO2 equipment and plant needs.

It would be a royal pain, but you could split your exhaust into 2 6" ducting runs, one to each attic vent. You'll need a flattened ducting end for the vent, and a flared fitting for a 6" duct on the other. The more bends, the slower your airflow will be and the less air you'll end up moving.

if i am vegging 5weeks and flowering 8 or 9 weeks i was hoping too
get 1oz per month of growing so only 4oz. i think i just need lights off humidty down.its 68% to 70%

G

I am doing that very thing and have since day one. Been doing this for a few years. Im in a closet with a smallish tent and vent directly into attic space. I removed the original door and used a piece of 3/4" plywood with the hole cut for the bulkhead duct 6".

I just recently put the carbon filter on the top of this sitting on the plywood bulkhead fitting to free up space in the tent. The fan is still in the tent.

No melting snow for me and I have snow on the roof at this moment sadly.

Not the best pic since the clone box is blocking the view of the exhaust coming out of the tent but you get the idea.

picture.php

pinkus

Veteran
Venting into an attic could cause real problems in the long run UNLESS you make sure the attic has good ventilation.

Soggy attics can cause problems. ;)

G

Venting into an attic could cause real problems in the long run UNLESS you make sure the attic has good ventilation.

Soggy attics can cause problems. ;)

True, however my home is a typical single story in the Midwest with eave vents all around the roof and roof vents as well. I check for issues every so often after a grow and change filter every year. At one point I used a 2' rigid extension to raise the exhaust point above the roof insulation but havent for the last couple years with no real problem. I also ended up taking the filter out of the tent and putting at the exhaust point in the attic to save room. May not work for all but it does for me and I worry about mold etc and keep an eye on it. This is a small 2'X3'X7' tent so I dont know how a bigger tent with more air volume would work.

IF it becomes a problem I will do as code requires for bathroom vent fans and run duct to the eve vent area like new construction does but so far I have seen no problems. I probably should have since it would only require about a 10' run of duct but I didnt want to make the fan work any harder if I didnt need to.

Unfortunately Im going to need to replace the roof on the almost 30 year old shingles next year and will have to put it back as original for the days it takes to do it.

M

MagusMan

i have just checked my roof it only has 4 x 6ins vents.no other vents my attic is 8mtrs x 8mtrs if i could use smaller light and maybe 1 or 2 plants just for my needs maybe less humidity

f-e

Mentor
Veteran
I'm sure you could be fine, and equally you could fuck it up. The heat gain on the entire loft isn't an issue unless your a mid terrace of brand new identical houses. All using the same heating system settings. So that it could be seen that your loft insulation wasn't as good as the neighbours. But then, even new builds can have things missed. It doesn't lead to a visit.

So much heat leaves the house through the loft, that 250w won't make a difference. but if you stick it straight to a roof vent, that vent will glow like blackpool. You need to get your vent pointing at nothing, and use a circulation fan ideally. Get it mixed up well. This will also help the humidity issue. Your 70% air will hit dew point as it cools to 20c. So If you take your duct far within the loft, the air within it will drop to 20c and water will condense within it. Dripping out of one end, or the other. This needs a little thought if you were putting a filter up there. So, once free in the loft, the air needs mixing up quick so the moisture is spread out.

a 4x600 grow uses about 25L a day, and will start getting things damp up there, and perhaps in a neighbours loft to. It doesn't make your roof stand out where an estate of different houses exist. Different as in differently insulated over the years. Perhaps with loft conversions. Bathroom ducts from showers that travel in the loft space to soffit board vents. Roof vents like yours added. Boilers put up there, as was popular for a few years. Houses can look the same outside but still have very different heat signatures. It's unusual to find ones that match. Study youtube for thermal image pics the chopper takes.

I can't be responsible for just how you do it, but it can be done. I have done it many times, and once winter frosts come, It's never been me looking odd.

G

For those of you who own your home and want to install something like this I started out with this and it was an easy install. Took a few hours going slow but it worked out great. I keep the insert lid it came with in the attic for when I replaced it with the plywood replacement insert with some blue foam insulation glued to it on top.

https://www.sealinhatch.com/index.php

M

MagusMan

hey everyone had a bit of a security issue.so cut plants down & clearing house out
peace Magusman

Latest posts

Latest posts