What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

AG's difficult soil

Americangrower

Veteran
Is there a specific reason you chose Holly Tone over Tomato Tone ?? Mg content?

yes it has soluble Mg and more sulfur plus I like the tad more N, but you can absolutely use tomato instead. I do like the more Cal in Tomato but I add Cal/mag to feedings.

dank.frank

ef.yu.se.ka.e.em
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Holly Tone is made for acidic soils, primarily, as holly bushes prefer it. It works great for blueberry bushes too. That's why there is more sulfur in it and less calcium. To assist in dropping the pH of the soil over time. Just to give an understanding of their product formulation.

dank.Frank

Last edited:
G

I hate to clutter this thread but can you guys tell me if I buy bags of soil products in the spring and let them sit on the patio or where ever unused for up to a year will there be a downside? If I have to stock up for a full year cycle while I can find the bagged product I need and not run out later in the year. Or should I just mix it up and put it in a big Rubbermaid 30gal trashcan with holes in the bottom?

Americangrower

Veteran
I hate to clutter this thread but can you guys tell me if I buy bags of soil products in the spring and let them sit on the patio or where ever unused for up to a year will there be a downside? If I have to stock up for a full year cycle while I can find the bagged product I need and not run out later in the year. Or should I just mix it up and put it in a big Rubbermaid 30gal trashcan with holes in the bottom?

I have never kept soil or amendments for over a year without being used so not sure on shelf life. I have lime and holy tone for over a year no problem. I would think as long as it stays dry there should be no problem.
The longest I have soil premixed is like 5 or 6 months during winter months.

G

Well I found out my local place will be getting the Soil Builder in a few weeks.
:woohoo::woohoo:
The rest I have or can source local easily except the COM compost. I have located several places that will ship me a bag and won’t hurt too bad.
Won’t need it for the grow I’m starting in in a couple weeks. I will probably buy enough Soil Builder to make another batch and store in a dry location out of the sun.
Thanks for the easy as heck recipe. After watching a few YouTube vids on Soil Builder and reading up I’d bet this is as good or better than the bagged Stonington stuff.

P-NUT

Veteran
You guys looking for the coast of Maine lobsta compost try your local ace or true value hardware. You have to order it but they will deliver to your local store free.

G

You guys looking for the coast of Maine lobsta compost try your local ace or true value hardware. You have to order it but they will deliver to your local store free.
True! Thats the cheapest place I found. Will be ordering some soon.

h.h.

Veteran
Whatever works for you.
Sometimes bagged soil will get a little off smell. Just let it air out a little before use.
Try to keep the amendment bags closed.

G

I want to again thank AG for posting this soil and I see he hasnt been around for a couple months unfortunately.

I have been using this mix with very good success and today mixed some more for a upcoming grow in January, however I have been able to source the COM Bar Harbor easier than the Bumper Crop and this batch is made with the Bar Harbor and I think its going to be as good or better than the mix with the Bumper Crop. We shall see.
Anyway I want to mention a couple minor additions I did to this mix and I cant tell for sure if it helps but it sure doesnt seem to hurt.

In addition to the listed ingredients I also add one red cup of solution grade gypsum (Kelp4less) and one red cup of Black Owl Biochar. And I cut back the lime to half a cup. (espoma) plus using the Bar Harbor I find I dont need to add perlite to the mix but I grow in bags so I can get away with a slightly denser mix, not that it really needs more perlite but Im sure I could add a few gallons if I wanted. Oh I forgot to mention for the EWC I source local fresh very nice quality castings and I up to 4 red cups per mix. One 2CF bag of Bar Harbor one bag (1CF) of Quaddy Lobster compost and then the rest of what he adds plus my own little tweak.

Its done me very well and I just feed using Neptunes two part liquid Tomato and Veg or Rose and Flowering which I switch to about week 3 of flower plus aerated compost tea about every 10 days. High N or High P depending on time of grow, I envy you guys in the east that have no trouble sourcing the COM. I use the True Value option so its all good and buy enough to last a while in my small grow space.

I came accross a youtube side by side of a guy in Virginia that sells outdoor hemp using a bunch of different soils in 5 gallon bags. Included the big names of soil companies and very interesting.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLUwDkxyez_I3-oBNdM1i5VcS3r6jJ17vZ