What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Anyone here familiar with Santa Barbara, California?

Cadfael

You need to check out apartments in Isla Vista.

It is like 5 miles down from Santa Barbara, has apartments on the beach, much lower rents, and it is where the UCSB students stay and live.

who dat is

Cave Dweller
Veteran
I would say aim for the central coast or san diego. Don't land in or around LA, fuck that place. It's probably cool if you want to visit for a week but then get out. I lived in Orange County for 8 months and I was already ready to move out after 4. 6 months and I was really starting to freak out. The cost of living is laughable, especially for not being able to live anywhere cool. My girlfriend and I are both very much outdoorsy people and we love to get out and run around in the woods/wilderness. Traffic is always so bad that you can't even get out of the area in a reasonable amount of time and then come Sunday you have to fight your way back in. Complete and utter concrete jungle clusterfuck.

Santa Cruz is really cool and the whole central coast is amazing. We never got farther north than the Sequoia national park unfortunately. Anyways, I hope it all works out for you just know what you're getting into.

Lived in sb for 8 years. Awesome. Small. Little quiet. Awesome.
Have been in sf for 11 now. Much bigger. Lots more to do. Also awesome.
Pm me for more Info. I also play drums, well mostly used to.
The reason it's cheaper between sb and la is because it's a waste land. There's basically nothing there for most of it. Maybe that's what you want, who knows.

You need to check out apartments in Isla Vista.

It is like 5 miles down from Santa Barbara, has apartments on the beach, much lower rents, and it is where the UCSB students stay and live.

So this isnt accurate at all imo. First it's north of sb proper, probably More like 10 miles. Second, rent in iv is crazy expensive. 3 and 4 people often share rooms to "afford" it. Also your wife will almost definitely hate the noise that is pervasisve through the whole town. It is right in the beach, so that's cool, but unless you're a single creeper (at op's age) it's not really where you wanna be I wouldn't think. Not saying iv isn't awesome, it is, but it isn't really cheaper than downtown, and there basically no chance to have your own place aside from a studio or 1 bedroom apartment.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
Another question about California, in general.....

When I arrive, will I be able to buy pot right away? Or, do I need to establish residency first?

soil margin

Veteran
Another question about California, in general.....

When I arrive, will I be able to buy pot right away? Or, do I need to establish residency first?

As long as you have some kind of federally recognized ID that establishes you're 21+ then you're good to go. I suggest to go to craigslist though, the dispensaries are all basically all a rip, only go there if I've got no other option.

Any adult will valid id can go into any rec store I believe. I've only been to like 1 since that became a thing, but that's what they told me. Friends from Texas were allowed in

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I will grow my own once I get settled but when I first arrive, I'll probably need to stock up. LOL

Thanks again.

Check out Sperlings Best Places .net.
Compare places that interest you.
You mentioned age 65. I am 60 and many people who I know, who are not anchored by family obligations are moving the fuck out of this state. We have the wealthy on the coast and the poor inland with a thin line of middle class growing smaller all the time.
There really is more than California.

Gry

My understanding is that some places insist on a valid CA ID.
Others seem fine with any valid ID showing an age of 21.

soil margin

Veteran
My understanding is that some places insist on a valid CA ID.
Others seem fine with any valid ID showing an age of 21.

Yeah the law only requires a federally valid 21+ ID but I think the rules allows dispensaries to mandate different requirements and I've heard there are a handful of shops that will only let you in with a California drivers license, but those are the kind of shops run by douchebags anyways. Wouldn't wanna give them my business.

Ringodoggie

Premium user
As far as I know, there are only 2 places in the US that have nice, moderate weather all year. Hawaii and So Cal.

I'm all about the weather.

However, we are open to living outside of California (if I can have that moderate weather all year).

igrowone

Veteran
As far as I know, there are only 2 places in the US that have nice, moderate weather all year. Hawaii and So Cal.

I'm all about the weather.

However, we are open to living outside of California (if I can have that moderate weather all year).

no plans on imminent move
but i keep an eye where the nice weather is
i guess peurto rico is considered part of the usa
maybe too tropical, but there are elevations where you might get some sweet temps

Ringodoggie

Premium user
I considered the Caribbean. Still thinking about it.

Another question about Santa Barbara......

How are the medical facilities? I have a knee replacement in my future and with 16 surgeries in my past, I'm certain my future will involve at least a few more.

Here in Ohio, we have Cleveland Clinic and Crystal Clinic and a ton of other 'world renowned' surgical facilities.

What's the scoop on medical facilities in the Central Coast?

Thanks

Thankfully I cant answer this one. You are only 90 min drive (no traffic, probably never a reality. Maybe like 3 am or something)
from la tho, so you have plenty of options in sure if sb doesn't have what you need. My guess would be, plenty of rich older people in the sb area, I bet they got whatever you need.

St. Phatty

I considered the Caribbean. Still thinking about it.

Another question about Santa Barbara......

How are the medical facilities? I have a knee replacement in my future and with 16 surgeries in my past, I'm certain my future will involve at least a few more.

One of the guys at they gym (in Oregon) moved here from California because he couldn't afford the liver surgery he needed.

By having zero income in Oregon, he qualified for Oregon state medical care. So he moved to Oregon to have the liver surgery, and it helped that his parents live here.

Medical care in the US in general is so dicey that I wouldn't plan on finding anything good. There might be some kind of residence time requirement.

On the other hand, good healers are where you find them.

You might have a decent chance of finding a good professor-med student combination at UCSB med school.

sutra1

SB is a nice town quiet, sunny and if you enjoy outside activity you can’t beat it. No retail sales of cannabis insb only medicinal. Neighboring Ventura county has rec sales. I recommend sespe creek collective in Ojai. Nice drive from Sb on 150 esp. if you have a motorcycle. If you wind up in Sb dm me or pm me we’ll grab a drink and a smoke.......

sutra1

Forgot to add, state of the art medical facilities. Cottage hospital can more than handle whatever your health needs are as long as you have solid insurance.

Chunkypigs

passing the gas
Veteran
SB is a nice town quiet, sunny and if you enjoy outside activity you can’t beat it. No retail sales of cannabis insb only medicinal. Neighboring Ventura county has rec sales. I recommend sespe creek collective in Ojai. Nice drive from Sb on 150 esp. if you have a motorcycle. If you wind up in Sb dm me or pm me we’ll grab a drink and a smoke.......

Yeah, there's no canna scene in SB, it's a conservative place that I can't image wanting to live in unless you hang glide.

If you want good weather AND good weed and company look elsewhere IMO.