Register ICMag Forum Menu Features Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
You are viewing our:
in:
Forums > Marijuana Growing > Cannabis Botany and Advanced Growing Science > Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation

Thread Title Search
Thread Closed
Slownickel lounge, pull up a chair. CEC interpretation Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-30-2017, 05:21 AM #3561
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by slownickel View Post
Not sure why, but it didn't get posted yet.

Your mix is too heavy. You really want a mix to dry out daily so that you can water and feed daily. Maybe you need some more rice straw.... haha
Thanks. I think maybe my analysis is skewed because of the sieving. The fines that filter through the mesh are maybe like 35% of the total matter.

Do you think there may be wisdom in drying a new sample, then grinding the materials and finally sieving the ground matter for analysis?

Alternatively would adding in rice hulls, scoria or something like perlite be useful?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:04 AM #3562
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by EasyGoing View Post
View Image

K, NH4Ac- ph 8.2 789ppm

Mg, NH4Ac - ph 8.2 898ppm

Ca, NH4Ac - ph 8.2 11,200ppm

Na, NH4Ac - ph 8.2 310 ppm

Slow N numbers

2.6% 11.7% 83.6% 2.0%
Did you use Calphos and bone meal to build Ca and the resulting P? Were those micro #'s as anticipated?

Our samples test very similar from the looks of it. I am just a season behind... Is this your long dep bed that this sample was from?

Old 12-30-2017, 06:26 AM #3563
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermen_eutics View Post
Thanks. I think maybe my analysis is skewed because of the sieving. The fines that filter through the mesh are maybe like 35% of the total matter.

Do you think there may be wisdom in drying a new sample, then grinding the materials and finally sieving the ground matter for analysis?

Alternatively would adding in rice hulls, scoria or something like perlite be useful?
Screening the sample was correct.

It is clear from your soil description and the time it takes to dry out, that your mix is too heavy. It needs to dry out every day, all by itself.

This will allow for maximum calcium uptake, which is the most difficult thing to achieve.

Rice hulls are good, perlite in big pieces, no fines. Scroria that is inert would be great. Big peat, no fines also works well. Small pieces of decomposed wood, but this amendment will require a bit more N during your cycle, but the good biology food source is priceless.
I WONDER WHAT WOULD HAPPEN
TO THIS WORLD

-Harry Forster Chapins' Tombstone

Old 12-30-2017, 07:01 AM #3564
growingcrazy

growingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of lightgrowingcrazy is a glorious beacon of light
Slow, do you have many running your methods on indoor perpetual grows?

Old 12-30-2017, 07:07 AM #3565
Hermen_eutics
Banned

Hermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of lightHermen_eutics is a glorious beacon of light
@slow

Thanks for your attention and advice.

Old 12-30-2017, 04:39 PM #3566
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

slownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to beholdslownickel is a splendid one to behold
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcrazy View Post
Slow, do you have many running your methods on indoor perpetual grows?
From the folks that I met at the Emerald Cup, a lot more than I could imagine are using bits and pieces of "my methods"! Funny how folks won't post on here yet they showed up in droves at the Cup!!
TO THIS WORLD

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 06:33 PM #3567
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Easy,

Your K is already too low. I imagine there is some K in the kelp....
and the bio live. 4-5-4

Old 12-30-2017, 06:35 PM #3568
EasyGoing
Banned

EasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of lightEasyGoing is a glorious beacon of light
Quote:
Originally Posted by growingcrazy View Post
Did you use Calphos and bone meal to build Ca and the resulting P? Were those micro #'s as anticipated?

Our samples test very similar from the looks of it. I am just a season behind... Is this your long dep bed that this sample was from?
Just bone meal and gypsum this round to get those numbers. The metals need improvement, and I am going to apply some large numbers of sulfates before spring. I ordered up 100 yards of that soil last year, it was in my beds and smart pots. Performed really well, second year on that soil.

1 members found this post helpful.
Old 12-30-2017, 07:21 PM #3569
prune

prune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really niceprune is just really nice
Quote:
It is clear from your soil description and the time it takes to dry out, that your mix is too heavy. It needs to dry out every day, all by itself.

This will allow for maximum calcium uptake, which is the most difficult thing to achieve.
It has been my hope that with fabric pots there is always a relative dry zone around the circumference of the pot and that the plant would preferentially differentiate root structure to advantage itself of that enviornment.

That, and hand-watering every day is hard to rationalize at my age...

Old 12-30-2017, 07:34 PM #3570
slownickel
IC Mag Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by prune View Post
It has been my hope that with fabric pots there is always a relative dry zone around the circumference of the pot and that the plant would preferentially differentiate root structure to advantage itself of that enviornment.

That, and hand-watering every day is hard to rationalize at my age...
The nice thing about having a medium that dries out quickly is that you can set up an automatic watering system. I realize for many folks that what I recommend is not geared towards everyone. In your case, maybe a some heavier soil to fit with your calendar. Realize that while waiting for heavier mixes to dry out, often the surface roots get sacrificed. This means light irrigations that will allow the surface to remain with enough humidity yet not have that water accumulate below.

Yes, there is a dry zone at times around the outside of the fabric pots, often with large wetted areas depending on how quickly the water was applied.
TO THIS WORLD

Thread Closed