What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Border Security, Border Patrol, etc - Learn the do's and don't of mailing

GreeeeN GRassss

duppy conqueror
Veteran
when living i Australia my Aussie mates used to get allot of seeds sent to my address from europe and we never had any trouble. usually they were in a wallet or dvd box.

i came from Jamaica through two large american airports in November with a bag of seeds and there was enough weed in the bag for two or three nice joints to in my bag thankfully no trouble.

dogs arent 100% effective either. here where i live funny story there are drug sniffing dogs at all the prisons to stop drugs coming in. it turned out the majority of the dogs around the different prisons could not detect drugs so they had to be taken away and re trained lol :)

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I'm not going to bank on luck or badly trained dogs. Interesting story though.

I look to stack the deck in my favour, walking through airports with a bag of seeds and weed is just a crapshoot. I may seem like an OCD Debbie Downer, but my intention is to get through life without a conviction.

Dogs don't hit on THC. They hit on a certain terpene. Forget which one.

Interesting, thanks for the correction, I'll check that out.

AHA! Found the MSDS for SigmaAldrich pseudo-marijuana scent.

Pyrogenic colloidal silica, 1% - anti-caking ingredient.
Cellulose, 98.5% - buffer.
Butane-2,3-diol, 0.4% - Brewers yeast? Or a by-product of glucose fermentation by brewers yeast. Not entirely sure.
1-methyl-4-propan-, 0.1% - γ-terpinene, cant find a common name.

A Comparison of Real Versus Simulated Contraband VOCs for Reliable Detector Dog Training Utilizing SPME-GC-MS

This study is seven years old, whether SigmaAldrich has revised their formula is unclear.

It would appear that some dogs are trained with actual marijuana, but it appears less common, as there is much red-tape to plow through every time you need a sample.

Not a reader of CC, but found this. Interesting browse, learned a few general things about dogs I was unaware of. I strongly advise anyone against interpreting this incorrectly, re: that drug dogs are ineffective.

B

BadPenny

I thought Spain had a quarrantine on any sort of seeds a yr or two ago, I think it may have been lifted, but I heard at that time nothing was getting thru, not sure about now. It's been a minute since I heard or seen that.

hoss1111

So my Spanish friend confirmed the arrival ,so marking pepper seeds on the package didn't cause any issues.

TychoMonolyth

Boreal Curing
[..snip..]
Bird seed is a good idea for general stealth.
[..snip..]

Good one. I know this is helps in Canada.

I know this is old, but I thought I'd add this. Importing any seeds require a Phytosanitary Certificate. Interestingly, if it's to be used as Bird Feed, it's exempt from any documentation.

Inspections.gc.ca
(section 1.5)

I was recently in Honduras for a vacation and a side of Strain Hunting. I spoke to Health Canada (Border Services redirected me to them) about bringing back seeds and the only requirement is that the package clearly state "Product of Honduras", and that it be declared as "Bird Feed" on the package. Health Canada said that it would be up to the Border Agent to assess if it was going to be used as intended (feed some birds. lol). So I set up a Bird Watching website, with the URL clearly stated with the destination address, and voila!

I'm waiting for the 2lbs of seeds via FedEx as I write this. Still, I'm crossing my fingers. lol

seeded

I don't know for certain if it's still 100% accurate but an aussie post worker once told me that if a mail item is less than 50g in weight, less than 2.5cm in thickness and has paper only written on it it counts as document mail which is classed differently from packages and not held to the same level of scrutiny.

I've since discovered that you can buy prepaid envelopes that say as much that ensure overnight delivery to countries like the USA. You don't need to post them in store, give your ID, etc. you just buy the envelope in store which can be done with cash, sign it with an x if you please and then drop it off in the bins out the front at a time that suits you.

Now should you go with a prepaid express option like that which can be done anonymously you not only have nothing to fear on your end but due to Australia's exceptional reputation in border security it will almost be exempt from security checks in the destination country too.

Do what you will with that information :tiphat:

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Same in Canada.

I hear rumour that the fentanyl problem is having the government readdress mail under 30-50g.

therevverend

Veteran
I'm thinking the total mass of small mail makes it very difficult to check.
Cannabis seeds have zero THC and zero smell unless you've touched them with sticky resin fingers or allowed them to touch buds. Which usually happens. You can soak them for ten minutes in rubbing alcohol or peroxide then let them dry out. Should remove the smell. Always wear gloves or get your hands very clean.
Good stuff about the terpene the dogs are trained on. I've heard that before as well. I know it's caused embarrassing false positives.

Mikell

Dipshit Know-Nothing
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Contact residue. I've processed seed crops and mailed them. The protocols to keep it clean aren't difficult but rarely followed in this lax day and age. Some Euro companies wash their seeds, I doubt one company over here does. Customers prefer the tiger striping.

And we are moving into the age of, how you say, the mechanical nose.

Latest posts

Latest posts