What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Natty’s Nook

exploziv

pure dynamite
Administrator
Veteran
they won't die without food, but most will die if you don't provide a dormancy period in the winter @ fridge temperature or if there is not enaugh humidity in the air. I have some VFTs and I can say for sure that they eat fungus gnats. Yet, only one in 3-4 plants will survive without dormancy every year.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
i had a few venus fly traps in my veg cab and i think they were living on the fungus knats after a while the fly trap died and there was no knats

I bought a Venus Fly Trap when i was ~13 cos i thought awesome, a plant that kills flies! too cool!. I figured it'd be $3.50 well spent due to the upcoming enjoyment I'd get out of the death of flies. (I love all animals, but flies don't come under that umbrella)

But my one was clearly raised in Australia as it was slow as, so I had to do all the work for it and try to find flies to swat, then use tweezers to put the twitching fly into the trap while shouting CLOSE YOU BASTARD. It ended up dying after a few months, but that wasn't through lack of effort on my part.

Last edited:

captain planet

Veteran
Nice Natty! Cool things you have going on, and quite a fanclub as well! Add one more to the list :)

I have my mint in a half wine barrel keeps it separate and sorta decorative.... My oregano is in a box with a few other herbs and it grows like crazy but isn't totally unruly, I just gotta keep it in check. I don't think I've used any of our own oregano yet tho and not sure if we really will

captain planet

Veteran
I def use oregano here and there, but I guess I still lack the skills of saving dry herbs, we use tons of fresh herbs (mint,thyme, cilantro, dill) but shamefully the dry herbs/ spices are all store Bought. Except my bag of dried and ground bhut jalokia gifted from a friends garden!

T

TrichyTrichy

I bought a Venus Fly Trap when i was ~13 cos i thought awesome, a plant that kills flies! too cool!. I figured it'd be $3.50 well spent due to the upcoming enjoyment I'd get out of the death of flies. (I love all animals, but flies don't come under that umbrella)

But my one was clearly raised in Australia as it was slow as, so I had to do all the work for it and try to find flies to swat, then use tweezers to put the twitching fly into the trap while shouting CLOSE YOU BASTARD. It ended up dying after a few months, but that wasn't through lack of effort on my part.

you should of fed it some Italian food.

PhenoMenal

Hairdresser
Veteran
I guess I still lack the skills of saving dry herbs
I think its basically like this..... 1) dry them, 2) put them in a jar. There's probably more rocket science to it but i dont know the technicalities :) *grin*

Except my bag of dried and ground bhut jalokia gifted from a friends garden!
Naga Bhut Jolokia as a "gift"? No ... he wants to blow your fkn head off for his own personal amusement, that stuff is right up there!!!!! (Guinness World Records had it as #1 hottest chilli on the Scoville scale until 2011 when the Trinidad Scorpion took over) lol :)

Trickz, gotta love 2013... there's an animated gif for everything, even venus fly traps lol :)

nattynattygurrl

Natalie J. Puffington
Veteran
Note to self: never use the word nook again.

So happy you stopped in Captain Planet! :)
Re: drying herbs…I’m no expert and there are probably better ways to do it, but I tie the herbs into little bundles, (not too thick or it will get funky where they are gathered and tied), and then hang them upside down until they dry and put them in containers…
Another little trick, is to chop up the fresh herbs and put them in an ice tray with a bit of water and then freeze…It works especially well for soups and stuff.

Just ordered a thousand worms for my compost heap and beds!
If you and told me that one day I’d be excited about worms, I’d have called you crazy! lol. :D

We went for a moonlight hike the last couple nights to watch the moon rise over the mountains…it was so bright I didn’t even need to use my head lamp! …kinda spooky to be out in the canyons at night, hearing the bobcats, mtn lions and coyotes. Some wine/beer, hand full of joints, blanket and the best company…It was perfect evening! :)

I hope this finds you guys in the highest of spirits, enjoying a beautiful weekend!!

captain planet

Veteran
Sounds like a great experience Natty! I'll have to try the freezer method, unless I can cut herbs when I cut my "herbs" bc I'm afraid my humidity is just to high to dry them without more control over their drying environment.

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Note to self: never use the word nook again.

So happy you stopped in Captain Planet! :)
Re: drying herbs…I’m no expert and there are probably better ways to do it, but I tie the herbs into little bundles, (not too thick or it will get funky where they are gathered and tied), and then hang them upside down until they dry and put them in containers…
Another little trick, is to chop up the fresh herbs and put them in an ice tray with a bit of water and then freeze…It works especially well for soups and stuff.

Just ordered a thousand worms for my compost heap and beds!
If you and told me that one day I’d be excited about worms, I’d have called you crazy! lol. :D

We went for a moonlight hike the last couple nights to watch the moon rise over the mountains…it was so bright I didn’t even need to use my head lamp! …kinda spooky to be out in the canyons at night, hearing the bobcats, mtn lions and coyotes. Some wine/beer, hand full of joints, blanket and the best company…It was perfect evening! :)

I hope this finds you guys in the highest of spirits, enjoying a beautiful weekend!!

wow what a wonderful thing to do nats, I bet it was so nice. Being out in the moonlight and diggin the wildlife.

Its raining here and thats great, watering the garden and flowers.....summer isnt far away :)
much love to you 2 :D

unclefishstick

Fancy Janitor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
lol,heh,i understand perfectly,the first time i found a worm in my veggie beds i wanted to have the thing bronzed! keep in mind i live in the desert and have never to my recollection seen a single live worm in the ground here,so it seemed like a pretty good sign i had done something right building the soil up.

paladin420

FACILITATOR
Veteran
lol,heh,i understand perfectly,the first time i found a worm in my veggie beds i wanted to have the thing bronzed! keep in mind i live in the desert and have never to my recollection seen a single live worm in the ground here,so it seemed like a pretty good sign i had done something right building the soil up.
here with the spring rains we get migrations of night crawlers. roads covered with squiggly protein for fishin ;) some up over a foot long. kids pick em by the gallon and sell em all summer for $1.50-2.00 a dozen.

good morning Natty an crew:tiphat:

Natty sister, I miss you!!! Have fun playing w/ your worms hehe

It rained good here today, can't wait to get outside the next two days and plant our flower bed :) Veggies are already starting to pop up . . . spring is officially here!!!

Happy gardening :dance013:

B

Bag

dag , takin out mine and az's sense of humor here, laughter is good for the goose and good for the garden !

Payaso

Original Editor of ICMagazine
Veteran
That was a detailed do it yourself project...I see the guy has a whole series of informational videos. Thanks for posting that Al!

How does your garden grow today Miss Natty?

Myself, I search eternally for some real French Tarragon... hesitate to order it online and get a box full of bugs :( But I will find the little plant somewhere... and grow a bunch. Mexican or Russian variety looks nice, but tastes not the same... :)

Al Botross

ICMag Donor
Veteran
hey natty

From my patch

album.php

Latest posts

Latest posts