What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best site to order veggie seeds from?

I will second the baker creek seeds at rareseeds.com. I order at least 7 or 8 varieties of tomoatoes from them every year. The staff is very helpful and knowledgeable. Last year I even spoke with a salesman for about 45 minutes just sharing info about vegging indoors under cfl's and using fans to strenthen stems.. they are a very cool and environmentally friendly company with great service.

rabid

about 12 years ago i got tired of the commercial heirlooms available and I joined Seedsaver Exchange and haven't looked back. Last year i spent $5 total and ran 190 different crops. The $5 was for a giant pumpkin variety that i just could not trade for.

http://www.seedsavers.org/

Hi Headband--Can you explain a bit about how the Seedsaver Exchange works? Their website has seeds for sale--to the public-- at fairly reasonable prices but to become a "member" they want a $55.00 joining fee. What benefits does a membership have and just how does the "exchange" operate? Thanks

M

MrSterling

Hi Headband--Can you explain a bit about how the Seedsaver Exchange works? Their website has seeds for sale--to the public-- at fairly reasonable prices but to become a "member" they want a $55.00 joining fee. What benefits does a membership have and just how does the "exchange" operate? Thanks

Ok, so you have your regular store over at Seed Saver's Exchange, which anyone can buy from. When you become a member and pay the $55 fee you get a membership with access to a catalog of stuff being offered from other members. I'm pretty sure it's just a membership fee to help them keep afloat/update the directory. So there are a bunch of varieties/heirlooms/plants that the store doesn't sell, but a member over in east-nowhere, Arkansas might have an old variety of peanut their great-great-grandfather passed down the line, and they'll be offering that to other members in the catalog. You also get a discount at the main SSE store as far as I know. My memory could be completely fucked and I've just gotten it all schnoobled, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Johnny's is awesome as well. I feel it necessary to come to their defense before anyone points out that they "sell seeds from Monsanto!" Monsanto bought up one of their suppliers a few years back, and that supplier still supplies Johnny's with 2% of their inventory. Johnny's is trying to move away from it, but it's hard when a big guy like Monsanto keeps buying up all the small companies.

blackosprey

i looked at fedcos list and man you people are getting my spun out on choice and variety

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i live in the NE looking to order non gmo organic seed for a spring/summer garden

really want a variety of vegetables to sustain my family for health reasons but I really dont have a good idea of what I should plan based on season and dietary balance

i have an 8x8 bed room for 2-3 more and plenty of containers and space to put them

would any of you please share what you have planned for your growing season(s) especially if you are sustenance farming for health

thank you in advance

for you, and others living in the NE, I recommend Hudson Valley Seed Library. They specialize in plants that do well in the NE.
http://www.seedlibrary.org/

M

MummyCat

Haven't seen anybody say peaceful valley - groworganic.com

I had a 100% success rate with the huge garlic assortment!

Baker Creek seeds were good but I got mislabeled tomatoes and melons, I'v had good luck with seeds of change and burpee although most of my burpee seeds wouldn't grow after I tried to make more seeds with them

blackosprey

MummyCat, I had the same issue with Baker Creek with mislabeling on some tomatoes I got from them. The issue is that they farm out tons of their seed production and it all gets mixed up down the line. Or, possibly with the melons, they may have been cross pollinated (easy to do with melons).
I never had any success with burpee seeds either.
Anyhow, something bad happened to all of my tomato and pepper seedlings, I think they either got overwatered-woke up this morning with everything wilting and many leaves turning white and slumping. I am going to have to start over with a lot of stuff. Oh well, it's why I make a seed library...

M

MrSterling

Grow organic one of my friends swears by. I will forever proselytize for Southern Exposure though. They will forever have my business. I couldn't be happier with my germination rates this year. Near 100% for everything except speckled Bibb lettuce.

rabid

Ok, so you have your regular store over at Seed Saver's Exchange, which anyone can buy from. When you become a member and pay the $55 fee you get a membership with access to a catalog of stuff being offered from other members. I'm pretty sure it's just a membership fee to help them keep afloat/update the directory. So there are a bunch of varieties/heirlooms/plants that the store doesn't sell, but a member over in east-nowhere, Arkansas might have an old variety of peanut their great-great-grandfather passed down the line, and they'll be offering that to other members in the catalog. You also get a discount at the main SSE store as far as I know. My memory could be completely fucked and I've just gotten it all schnoobled, but I'm pretty sure that's how it works.

Thank you sir. I reckon your memory is still in good shape. The necessity for a members fee makes perfect sense now. I thought maybe joining the 'club' enabled one to trade seeds with other members. Maybe it does--I'll have to check them out a bit more.

It appears the quarterly catalog lists elite seedstock that isn't included in their online store. Your explanation is most appreciated :thank you:

M

MrSterling

I think you're on target with the club aspect and the trading between members. I'm unsure how much of the actual exchange is money based. if you get a membership let us know! It'd be good to hear a review.

ronbo51

Veteran
The All Star Lettuce Mix from Johnny's is a must. Fedco carries "Glacier" tomatoes, the earliest on earth. Both have "Provider" green beans. Both Johnny's and Fedco are honest local businesses that serve growers well.

barnyard

the Glacier Tomato sounds like a good one ronbo51

Organic Glacier Tomato - Our earliest tomato and darn good flavor too! Produces high yields of medium sized, 2-3 oz orange-red saladette tomatoes. Flavor is superior to other extra-early varieties, winning all early-season taste tests. Sets fruit at 24” tall and keeps producing all season long. Great for the small garden or containers. Potato-leaf foliage. Semi-determinate (Lycopersicon esculentum) 55 days

Gold Nugget is also fast.

Gold Nugget (OG)
An early, prolific, golden cherry tomato.
15-20 gm., round to slightly oval cherry tomatoes have a deep yellow color. The flavor is well-balanced and delicious, and a majority of the early fruits are seedless. Healthy, compact plants with a concentrated early set. Developed by Dr. James Baggett, Oregon State Univ. Determinate. Organically grown. 56 days

Just received a packet Lucia seeds from Fedco for 2014. Interesting how they note the brix.

Lucia Grape Tomato (54 days) F-1 hybrid. Ind. Everyone in our taste test kept coming back for more of these super crunchy red grapes. The consensus: these diminutive 5–8g sweet fruits can boast of some tartness and complexity. They “taste like a red Sun Gold.” Unlike Sun Gold, they have some crack resistance, vulnerable only in cold wet weather. Starting very early (July 15 in our trial), Lucia cranks out tons of bright red fruits great in salads, on pizzas or in sauces. Brix 7.5.

ronbo51

Veteran
I start seedlings under a shoplight around 2/15. Tomatoes other than Glacier get started around 3/1. Glaciers get uppotted out of beer cups into one gallon pots when they show first buds. My last frost date is 5/15, so I have to cover up or take my growing seedling stash inside the garage a few times on really cold nights. I always get ripe Glaciers before 6/1. Provider green beans are cold tolerant and can be planted earlier than any other beans.

barnyard

"I always get ripe Glaciers before 6/1", impressive ronbo51.

Good strategy not starting everything at once and starting the fastest first. My concern has always been that the plants get so big inside but if I just started one or two gold nuggets it would be manageable. I'm going to try that this year.

I like the royal burgundy bush bean that also germinates in cool weather. As you probably already know, generally, dark colored beans germinate better in cooler weather than white colored beans.

happy cultivating!

icon

ICMag Donor
Veteran
i use these guys http://www.mypatriotsupply.com/Heritage_Heirloom_Vegetable_Seeds_s/43.htm

reliable companie all NON GMO comes in ziploc mylar packaging with dates,germ rates,lot #,purity%,inert%,test date etc...
picture.php