What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best site to order veggie seeds from?

DocLeaf

procreationist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Food is the future :yes: always aim to invest in IBL heirloom/ guardian seed stocks were possible,, and collect seeds from reliable growers and gardeners :D

Nickys nursery and real seed co. were both ok , some varieties grew better than others from both outlets IME

Combination Mix Packs of Veggie seeds (and pepper seeds and Pacific Mix seeds) were available at seedbay via fritillary seeds a few seasons back :D think we invented that...

Peace all

foomar

Luddite
ICMag Donor
Veteran
The Henry Doubleday trust is a good place to join in the UK if seriously interested in maintaining heirloom stocks , became involved and got access to ancient vegetables of all kinds , maintained by members seeding and sending them back in.

http://www.gardenorganic.org.uk/

Some are best as breeding tools but the flavours are always wonderfull compared to whats grown commercially today.

One thing to note with old tom strains , some are prone to root virus and may need grafting onto better rootstock , starting with a clean greenhouse it should not be an issue.

Several of the really old ones need a much higher temperature to pop than usual for modern toms.

Some years ago a canny old boy i know , made thousands of pounds flogging vintage tom and pepper seeds made in a tiny greenhouse , on fleabay , quite a market and legal too.

Bullfrog44

Veteran
I ordered from Burpee last year. All my plants turned out great but most people don't like Burpee, people here agree?

groady-ho

as is all-too-common in my life, I succumbed to my
Veteran
johnnyseeds..with a name like johnny apple seed how can ya lose...fedco is good to.,.

Weird

3rd-Eye Jedi
Veteran
i looked at fedcos list and man you people are getting my spun out on choice and variety

HELP !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

i live in the NE looking to order non gmo organic seed for a spring/summer garden

really want a variety of vegetables to sustain my family for health reasons but I really dont have a good idea of what I should plan based on season and dietary balance

i have an 8x8 bed room for 2-3 more and plenty of containers and space to put them

would any of you please share what you have planned for your growing season(s) especially if you are sustenance farming for health

thank you in advance

barnyard

Weird ~ you reap what you sow ;-) But that doesn't mean you're going to eat it!

In other words, grow veggies that you and your family like to munch on. Also, unless you're prepared to put up harvest either thru canning, freezing or drying - which is a lot of work and resources -try the "SSS' approach.

"SSS" stands for Soup, Salad and Stir fry and is about taking a little bit of this and a little bit of that and making a meal out of it. So, rather than going for a big harvest of one veggie, or even trying to harvest enough for a side dish you're combining little harvests of whatever veggies are ready that day.

hope that helps!

Latest posts

Latest posts