What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Trim Pro Rotor

bs0

Got my Trim Pro Rotor a couple days ago and finally managed to put it to task.

The machine itself is very sturdy, and easy to disassemble. The grate can be taken off for cleaning. The blade is on a very good bearing, it spins very smoothly and very quiet for how high of rpm it runs at.

The blade can be easily adjusted with the included allen wrench, and after running a hand full through I dropped it down about 1/8 an inch and it improved. The first two loads I ran ended up being fairly marginal jobs. The buds were pretty small and just got mashed and broken. Was feeling disappointed.

However: The leather fingers need to be 'broken in'. After those two loads I spent a few minutes bending them around to soften up the leather. After this the machine worked amazingly. It just had to have the fingers soft enough to 'roll' the buds around. There is certainly a bit of quality control as the buds come out of the machine where you have to pull off any straggler leaves though, but nothing significant.

Once the machine was set right and we got our bud plucking strategy down (yank off any big leaves remaining and snip off the buds, or just pluck them all off by fingers) it was pretty amazing. It really is a very well made machine. We mashed through ~15 zips in just under two hours. Now that we have our strategy down I think that it will be about 1 hr / lb or so. It used to take two people about 6 hr per lb (12 man hours per lb? We never really used to bust our ass or anything but that time is an estimate, the time today with the machine I deliberately kept track of).

The biggest buds I put in were about baseball sized. Anything larger we just did by hand because everyone likes to trim fat nugs.

I had been waiting for one of these machines for quite some time. I was always concerned by the sounds and cheap-ish appearance of the trim reaper so I could never justify that expenditure. I can say that the trim pro rotor is WELL MADE. Very well made. I am very satisfied with this build quality.

So, it has only been one harvest, but I already feel like my quality of life has been improved. My hands do not hurt, my back is good, and my friend said the same themself. For that alone I could justify the machine, but the fact that I feel like I can legitimately do a good job on a harvest in just better than an hour this is the most amazing thing I have gotten for my set up. If you have harvests in the same range or more than me I think you should give this machine some serious consideration.

If anyone has any questions feel free to ask and I'll see if I can answer. Prior to purchase all I could find on the machine was a youtube video.

Now I must go turn this trim into butter :)

louie

Nice review! Great info. I can't wait to try mine :D Did you use any kind of oil to break in the fingers?

I just watched the YouTube video. Pretty cool machine.

I'd be worried about the trichromes getting knocked off as the buds get batted around over and over again.

bs0

We were able to get the leather fingers softened up without using any oil... just bend back and forth over and over. Have since done another harvest and the machine works even better now. The key was softening the fingers and adjusting the blade height. We usually just ran the machine as long ad it took us to pull down another few branches then shut it off. We had some amount of quality control afterwards, but not significant. The machine doesn't "bat" anything, the leather fingers have enough texture and once softened just end up rolling the buds (the rounder the better) around. Any trichome loss is right about the same magnitude as finger trimming... and anyone who has smoked "finger hash can attest to the amount of trichome loss from hand trimming....

sixpak

I have a reaper and though it does a ok job. I have put 30 lbs through it. It does beat up the tricomes some. It does trim a lot of weed in a short time. The worst part for me is it rolls the buds around in the sap from the leaves which takes away from the smell from the end product. I am going back to a hand trim this season and use the machine for the popcorn.

bs0

I have a reaper and though it does a ok job. I have put 30 lbs through it. It does beat up the tricomes some. It does trim a lot of weed in a short time. The worst part for me is it rolls the buds around in the sap from the leaves which takes away from the smell from the end product. I am going back to a hand trim this season and use the machine for the popcorn.

Between harvests I cleaned my machine (which isn't the reaper) and I didn't notice any sap issues. Even if so, a sap issue shouldn't cause any sort of smell issue. A smell issue would be an indication of improper drying or a non-smelly strain.

they all beat up the trichomes. I don't like any machine trimmed bud.

Interesting. I switched it up between hand and machine and nobody even noticed. Turns out sour diesel machine trimmed is just as awesome as sour diesel that took forever to trim and made my hands hurt.

Just about to do another harvest. This one will need more hand trimming because I had a temp spike for a couple days when my a/c turned off and I got a bit of fox-tailing. But I still think that I will be able to use the machine on 3/4 of the crop. I don't want to use the machine on the fox-tailed buds because I think that the fox tails will all be snipped off. I'll run a couple test buds through it to make sure though.

Maybe I will take pictures afterwards this time. This machine makes me me so optimistic, I was to the point I wanted to quit growing due almost solely to effort trimming required (prohibition doesn't help).

Obviously this machine will not be worth it if you grow only a plant or two though.

Slangheat

Between harvests I cleaned my machine (which isn't the reaper) and I didn't notice any sap issues. Even if so, a sap issue shouldn't cause any sort of smell issue. A smell issue would be an indication of improper drying or a non-smelly strain.

Interesting. I switched it up between hand and machine and nobody even noticed. Turns out sour diesel machine trimmed is just as awesome as sour diesel that took forever to trim and made my hands hurt.

Just about to do another harvest. This one will need more hand trimming because I had a temp spike for a couple days when my a/c turned off and I got a bit of fox-tailing. But I still think that I will be able to use the machine on 3/4 of the crop. I don't want to use the machine on the fox-tailed buds because I think that the fox tails will all be snipped off. I'll run a couple test buds through it to make sure though.

Maybe I will take pictures afterwards this time. This machine makes me me so optimistic, I was to the point I wanted to quit growing due almost solely to effort trimming required (prohibition doesn't help).

Obviously this machine will not be worth it if you grow only a plant or two though.

Sup bro I bought a rotor last year and hope you don't mind if I chime in...

Leather fingers were easy to soften up after soakin them in water for 24-48 hours - but they still collect too much trim/trich and become stiff, abusive little fuckers unless you have the time and patience to stop and clean each few runs. The rubber ones weren't any better IMO.

I bought one because I was in a jam, plans changed on me and I was stuck with a harvest to handle all on my own. It came through definitely. With one man it's not all you would expect speedwise, but you get 2+ and you can get cooking for sure.

The rotor, like any other machine I've seen, totally does give your buds a sap bath. Also, the top fingers rotate too quickly and it's abusive and does smudge trichomes noticeably. Because of this, there can definitely be a loss of smell, although I found taste did remain in the smoke. After being abused and smudged and bathed in sap/chlorophylls, it's tumbled out into a big tray and (usually) piled onto itself which compromises the round, natural shape and structure of the buds. AFTER THAT it's got to be dried on racks which IMHO are not preferable compared to normal hanging methods, because again, you get flattening and other undesired contact with the buds.

Some strains go through this machine and still come out looking okay, but the sap bath and abuse will still happen regardless. Other strains will come out looking like complete shit and you will have a hard time impressing yourself with the buds, much less other people. One thought crosses my mind each time I think of my trimmer, when a guy I really respect commented, "damn, wouldn't have let that thing touch my shit no matter how much I had to do by hand." He was right...

I won't let this shit touch my indoor I don't care what strain, how much I yield, how much help I have etc. It is just not worth it.

Outdoor this season I plan to still handtrim all the big gorgeous heady top buds, and use the machine for that tiresome bottom plant larf shit that will just be used for my edibles etc.

Just wanted to throw out a review now that I've had this thing for a year, and have really formed an opinion on it. Somewhere around here I posted much more positive sounding comments on it after using it my first few times, but after time I've really come to realize that this thing does have it's place, but it's not meant to be a total replacement for hand-trimming.

The price tags on these things are high and I don't think people should only hear the positive results - but I am totally happy it worked out for you bs0 - rock it if it works for you man by all means, hope I didn't step on your toes.

Peace

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran

Just about to do another harvest. This one will need more hand trimming because I had a temp spike for a couple days when my a/c turned off and I got a bit of fox-tailing. But I still think that I will be able to use the machine on 3/4 of the crop. I don't want to use the machine on the fox-tailed buds because I think that the fox tails will all be snipped off. I'll run a couple test buds through it to make sure though...........

My stains fox tail a bit also, has not been a problem........and I tell ya what, I've got a Franklin that says 95% of the peeps out there could not tell hand trimmed from el machino....for smell, taste, or high:2cents:

bs0

Leather fingers were easy to soften up after soakin them in water for 24-48 hours - but they still collect too much trim/trich and become stiff, abusive little fuckers unless you have the time and patience to stop and clean each few runs. The rubber ones weren't any better IMO.

I bought one because I was in a jam, plans changed on me and I was stuck with a harvest to handle all on my own. It came through definitely. With one man it's not all you would expect speedwise, but you get 2+ and you can get cooking for sure.

The rotor, like any other machine I've seen, totally does give your buds a sap bath. Also, the top fingers rotate too quickly and it's abusive and does smudge trichomes noticeably. Because of this, there can definitely be a loss of smell, although I found taste did remain in the smoke. After being abused and smudged and bathed in sap/chlorophylls, it's tumbled out into a big tray and (usually) piled onto itself which compromises the round, natural shape and structure of the buds. AFTER THAT it's got to be dried on racks which IMHO are not preferable compared to normal hanging methods, because again, you get flattening and other undesired contact with the buds.

Some strains go through this machine and still come out looking okay, but the sap bath and abuse will still happen regardless. Other strains will come out looking like complete shit and you will have a hard time impressing yourself with the buds, much less other people. One thought crosses my mind each time I think of my trimmer, when a guy I really respect commented, "damn, wouldn't have let that thing touch my shit no matter how much I had to do by hand." He was right...

I won't let this shit touch my indoor I don't care what strain, how much I yield, how much help I have etc. It is just not worth it.

Outdoor this season I plan to still handtrim all the big gorgeous heady top buds, and use the machine for that tiresome bottom plant larf shit that will just be used for my edibles etc.

Just wanted to throw out a review now that I've had this thing for a year, and have really formed an opinion on it. Somewhere around here I posted much more positive sounding comments on it after using it my first few times, but after time I've really come to realize that this thing does have it's place, but it's not meant to be a total replacement for hand-trimming.

The price tags on these things are high and I don't think people should only hear the positive results - but I am totally happy it worked out for you bs0 - rock it if it works for you man by all means, hope I didn't step on your toes.

Peace
All experiences are welcome, especially dissenting (with justification) . Its nice to be able to discuss, considering for a machine of this costthere is little to no online reviews. :) I really am all about quality, and I will keep using this machine until I have a bad experience. When you have the right material going through it you can get great results.

bs0

Finally a decent product review, thanks for the input guys.

What's the average speed per lb. with this machine? Solo or 2 man.

After more experience with it, the only limitations are strain and how many people can feed it. With one person cutting down and two feeding the machine we have done 1.5lb in about 2 hours.

One of my recent harvests foxtailed a bit. The machine munched it up. After doing a test load we did the rest of the big buds by hand because they were so beautiful that it was a shame to put them in. But if you have more round-ish buds the machine does as good as a hand trim.

Also: you have to clean the machine after each harvest. Isopropal alcohol in a spray bottle with a rag does a good job. If you don't clean the machine it does a bad job. One of the previous posters mentioned that it gets gummed up and does bad. He was right. Cleanliness is a must. It's like trying to trim with your scissors all resied up. Just doesn't work well. Every couple harvests I have also been oiling up the leather fingers with some vegetable oil to keep them soft. Using water on the fingers will make them brittle and hard. Remember back when you had a baseball glove as a kid, you have to oil it and work it to keep it nice.

I still think I have a bit to learn with this thing but all things in time. This is a great tool.

MIway

Veteran
After doing a test load we did the rest of the big buds by hand because they were so beautiful that it was a shame to put them in.

Been around a machine or two... still favor the New Jack City method... naked, big titty girls over cafeteria fold-out tables, just trimmin away... ;-)

caljim

I'm on the edge. Of what I'm not sure.
Veteran
......Also: you have to clean the machine after each harvest. Isopropal alcohol in a spray bottle with a rag does a good job. If you don't clean the machine it does a bad job. One of the previous posters mentioned that it gets gummed up and does bad. He was right. Cleanliness is a must. It's like trying to trim with your scissors all resied up. Just doesn't work well....... .

Thats the key; keeping the fingers, screen and blade clean. I have been cleaning these items every 1/2 pound or so and in the end the product has no sappy or chlorophyll spray smell, just a sweet candy bouquet.

It just takes a few minutes and lets the bucker get caught up with the machine.

lime6161

I put some hydro lui and moscas KQ in a rotor and was happy with the trim job. Unfortunately the final product did not meet my expectations. The bud was flushed when harvested @63 days

I had a hard time with the cure. After the rotor, I hung everything in the 'racks'. everything looked ok but the smell was not there. the lui had a hayesque to no smell and the kq was a sour hay like smell. I had it in the racks till the stems cracked then into the paper bags. It seemed to take a long time for me to put it in the turkey bags and the smell did not really get any better.

I also had no luck with the trim. I tried the buble bags and a tumbler and it was a big waste of effort. The bubble was green and gritty and the tumble was real green 'kief' lots of plant matter.

You stated that you clean it up every 1/2 lb or so, what about the blade adjustment. did you lower it? approx how much?

Any curing or concentrate tips would be a great help. thx

GeorgeSmiley

Remembers
Veteran

Peace

This was my experience 100%. Look/smell everything. In the end, to do all the things I would need to do to prevent sap/chlorophyll bath, trichrome beatings and cleaning up with scissors, I could have just trimmed the bud by hand.....

And the cleaning.....

Smiley

bs0

Thats the key; keeping the fingers, screen and blade clean. I have been cleaning these items every 1/2 pound or so and in the end the product has no sappy or chlorophyll spray smell, just a sweet candy bouquet.

It just takes a few minutes and lets the bucker get caught up with the machine.

What type of time/lb do you get? Once we started just plucking buds by hand we started getting a bit faster.

bs0

You stated that you clean it up every 1/2 lb or so, what about the blade adjustment. did you lower it? approx how much?

Any curing or concentrate tips would be a great help. thx

I haven't experienced any odor changes, I've been running sour diesel and chemdog through it so I don't think there is anything I can do to stop that smell.

I dropped the blade about 1/4" from the out-of-the-box setting. That made it so any calyxes that stuck out much didn't get hit.

Y

YosemiteSam

We use a trim pro rotor. We have trimmed some bud by hand and given it out to people we trust (both hand trimmed and rotor trimmed). Not once has anyone been able to tell the difference.

The truth is we never get any feedback...good or bad...about the machine trimmed stuff. With hand trimmed we got both...it seems like the more we trimmed the sloppier we got.

Anyways...theoretically I agree hand trimming is the way to go. In practice...not enough difference to justify hand trimming.

Keeping the machine clean is important. But it ain't no big deal. We generally have 4 people. With 3 bucking the machine guy can stay ahead and has ample time to keep the machines clean. In fact, that person usually ends up doing 1/4 of his time bucking.

Latest posts

Latest posts