What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Best Durban Poison?

Hempnist

What is best Durban Poison available?

I'm looking for slightly trippy daytime high without body stone. I have grown African Seeds "natural" Durban Poison which gave me this kind of high, but plants were awfully to grow indoors and I think it's not available anymore..

Any other ideas for that kind of high? (and some plant what suit to indoor growing)

I'm sorry if there is already similar threads, please let me know of those or tell me your own opinion, if not already told elsewhere :)

luciano28

The only company I see with it on the Boo is Dutch Passion. The description says it does well under artificial light.

Dutch Passion said:
Imported from South Africa, produced in Holland. Exclusively inbred, never hybridized, 100% Sativa. Large long budleaves, buds are also large and long with lots of resin. A sweet licorice or anise flavour. “Up” high similar to Thai. High yields. Well suited for outcrossing with late bloomers to produce earlier flowering. Also does very well under artificial light. A very popular variety.

THC: 8.6%

Good Luck, dude, Durban is one of my all-time favorites. I smoked it when I was a teen and completely freaked out, lol. Its that crazy weed. One of these years I am going to try growing it outdoors.

Hempnist

Hey luciano28,

thanks for answer, that Dutch Passions Durban Poison looks very interesting, I probably go with that.

I thought there are more Durban Poisons available as that have been somewhat popular variety some years ago. Maybe it is not enough exotic these days and too "mild" for heavy stoners :D

Anyway, if someone knows some cool Durban Poison cross what is more likely Durban Poison when smoked and more likely some other strain when grown, please let know about that too. Don't have to be just like that, but mostly like that.. Or maybe some unstable cross suitable to find phenos like that, if it is even possible...

D.S. Toker. MD

Veteran
I read an article in High times magazine some time back that cataloged a side by side grow of Dutch passions DP and the offering from Sensi seeds. Both companies claim their Durban is landrace and unhybridized.

clearly from that article and grow, sensi's strain had been crossed with something because there were different pheno's and the high varied from plant to plant. The Dutch passion durbanP plants were like little soldiers,all alike and the high very consistent,

Buy the Dutch Passion

Brastaman

i've tried Dutch Passion's Durban Poison. i picked up seeds last year. i sprouted two and got one male and one female, both had fat indica leaves in veg and thinned out a little in flower.
Wasn't what i was expecting being a unhybridized African strain but what do i know.....

the flowers were covered in resin making it very sticky, little to no smell unless it was agitated. the smell was dominant pine, slightly soapy with undertones of fruit/flowers.

the high was nice. a quick hit to the head that left my eyelids heavy but then faded within minutes and i stayed pretty "glossed over" for some time still able to function. not sure if i was "high" after 30 minutes but.....

here's some pics of the female i had.
please excuse the PM, i got very lazy with this seed run of her.

i have 8 original DP DP seeds left that i'll probably sprout soon just to see if there's a sativa dominant pheno in the bunch.

superbolan

Dp's is definitely not straight durban. I grew sssc durban in the 80's and it was very sativa very clear up high. distinctive anise scent. I tried DP's years later and was sadly disappointed. I think maybe they believed it was pure durban and never added anything to it, but its far from the real stuff

Since African Seeds no longer offer anything.....I would say the closest thing to unadulterated Durban you can get is Durban Poison Amazing Special (or something like that) from High Quality Seeds. I'm not sure if it's any count nowadays though...6 or 7 years ago it was fairly decent, fairly close to the real deal.

I used to have a Durban cutting that was gifted to me by Chris from African Seeds about 10 years ago. It was sweat-inducing, running with the Zulu into battle bud...very stellar genetics. Tasted exactly like anise-seed/black licorice (yuck...I hate black licorice). Alas, that Durban along with MANY other genetics of mine were swiped by the "League of Black Helicopters".

islandboy

Great white north seeds (hemp depot)has an early durban with the high you describe. Smell and taste like anise seed and perfume. I have only grown her outdoors around the 49th she was done early but she is mostly sativa as you can see in the leaves. Not stoney enough for me. Looks really similar to Texada Timewarp.
DSC01295-1.jpg

Vital

I don't know what the best is... but I got a freebie pack about 5-6 years ago with an order from GN back when it was called Seeds Direct.co and out of the 5-6 strains I got, the freebie was south african durban poison x skunk #1 and I got a female out of that pack that was nothing short of amazing. To this day it was one of the best genetics I have worked with and I made Durban Poison very popular for aout 5 years in my area. I lost her about a year ago in a move. The pheno I had was shorter, super fat and super, super, sweet with tons of frost and a knock out high.

Vital - I'm not 100% sure, but almost positive that those DP x Skunk #1 were stock from High Quality Seeds....the same as the Durban Poison Amazing Special, just one of their hybrids.

Stdane

Could've been seedsman early durban,which is durban poison x skunk#1 also,there a description here;
Early Durban is one of the most renowned outdoor strains in the world. It is a beautiful cross of Durban Poison and an early flowering Skunk #1. It has typical sativa growth patterns and can grow to be quite a large plant. It will finish outside usually in early October, but can be grown easily indoors. The end product has a gentle cerebral sativa effect and tastes of aniseed.[:tiphat:

oldstone

This thread is great! I just started getting into sativa-dominant strains, and a Durban is next on my list. I have no experience with these strains though. Has anyone tried Durban from Sensi Seeds?

Does anyone have recent, good experience with a Durban (that is currently for sale)?

I would love to see some of the dissenting opinions come to a consensus, but how often does that happen :/ Thanks!

Dave Coulier

Veteran
I just picked up the last pack of Afropips Durban Poison a certain seedbank had. His landraces all come from Africa directly, if what Ive read is true. Maybe in 6 months, Ill have something to report on.

yoss33

Veteran
I've grown Nirvana's Durban Poison (which is Durban x Skunk #1) and friends are also growing its F2s. It looks quite skunky but the high is very trippy (clear, focused, very thinking, higher doses cause muscle spasms, so stimulating). Smelled of soap and berries. Frosty, nice yield. The buds are chunky but it has a mighty stretch, needs a lot of training indoors.

D

Dalaihempy

I grew the dutch version of Durban Poison in the 87 it was from Neville i thort it was okay at best mild high grew it twice and well never re grew it agine still have seeds of it will say it was very stable uniform all the plants grew the same unlike today's offerings gave friends seeds i made they loved it grew them out doors told me they grew large and very resiny with great smoke me i thort it was a mild social high at best.

I smoke to a guy who lived over there and grew it at brang it home grew it here for years told me the Durban he loved would flower and go purple was a short plant there were green Durban plants to but he sed the purple was the best he told me they were not your typical African sativa as they were more squote.