What's new

hard black spots on tomatos

bdomina

I am getting black spots (hard spots not mushy) on my tomatos. not on all of them. anyone know what this is typical of ? ants ? slugs ? other insects?

my hydro leftovers make this veggie garden Fu@#ing out of control!! hugest tomato plant i have ever seen. basil and parsley are abnormal they are so huge..giant bushes ;o)

thanks,
BD

pedrodepaco

probably black spot. most likely bacteria or a fungus try true green spray on them the new tomatoes will be ok the ones already infected are no good.

bdomina

black spot eh ? lol musta took them a while to think of that name. haha . thanks for the reply I will look for true green soon. thanks again! best wishes - BD

Mrs.Babba

THE CHIMNEY!!
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Ive noticed a few on my tomatoes too?..not sure whats causing it either!
This is the first time Ive ever seen them on the maters...hmm interesting that you have it too.

bdomina

i thought it was something laying eggs or something , but it makes sense that it is disease or fungus or something..

pedrodepaco

I work for a major vegie corp thats in all 50 states we grow plants for americas garden centers at all big box stores. This has been a bad year for blight. black spot can b fungal or bactirial sometimes even a potas or phos issue most of the time not.

maryjohn

Veteran
I'm very happy all our tomatoes were started at home. I keep reading that late blight is going to send tomato prices soaring this year.

We grow a few hundred heirlooms and have been treating them regularly with Serenade, but blight is still creeping on. Weather in general in our area has been great and as a result there's a ton of produce around, but it hasn't lowered prices. The produce stands we sell to retail heirlooms from $2.50 to $3.00 a pound, but greenhouse tomatoes in the chains are as high as five dollars a pound.

VerdantGreen

Genetics Facilitator
Boutique Breeder
Mentor
ICMag Donor
Veteran
I am getting black spots (hard spots not mushy) on my tomatos. not on all of them. anyone know what this is typical of ? ants ? slugs ? other insects?

my hydro leftovers make this veggie garden Fu@#ing out of control!! hugest tomato plant i have ever seen. basil and parsley are abnormal they are so huge..giant bushes ;o)

thanks,
BD

if its on the ends of the fruit,
its called blossom end rot - caused by lack of calcium but generally bought about by irregular watering

BER is only going to appear on the bottom, i.e. the blossom end, and will grow from a spot to eat up half the tomato, so if you're talking about multiple spots everywhere on the tomato, you have some other issue.

deepchunk

pull the the plant and burn it what you have sounds like blith(spellin incorrect) bad stuff does any of the plant material have segments with theese spots?

bdomina

cant really notice any spots on the foilage. like these per sa , did have bugs early on so there is some damage there. only on some of the fruit. not in any pattern ie. random spotting all over. i will take pics later

Wait...What?

Veteran
If you want to find out whether its bacterial or not, prune off a sucker shoot, and put it in a clear glass of water. The bacteria will stream out and make the water milky.

pedrodepaco

I just found fusarium wilt on 4 of my tomato plants ucky stuff. The funny thing about it is my heirloms are fine the only ones infested are my hybrids husky cherries roma grape and bush goliaths. They are all bred to b desease resistant. My arkansas travelers and mountain prides wich are american back yard specials are fine. They are loaded with matters. My garden is about done whith the big all american selection hybrid varieties. I am more impressed with fruit qualities and growth patterns on my old style open pollinated varieties.

veggieeater

i was checking mine today i seen a brown line i was sorta wondering to, thought it could give me a reason to hit the hydro shop :).

Wait...What?

Veteran
fusarium wiped out my peas and wax beans this year.

the VFFFNTt stuff on the seed packet is not disease resistance. its disease tolerance.