What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

CHEAPER ENZYMES

habeeb

follow your heart
ICMag Donor
Veteran
found this, seems best to avoid some products if using these pool / pond enzymes..

Just Good Stuff

Just Good Stuff

Very important information. From now on I'm going to use an eye dropper.

This is the reason for these forums. Just as iron sharpens iron, friends sharpen the minds of each other.
I'm sorry I didn't get in on this back when it was first posted. I'm a noob with a brain. I know I don't have to buy name brand to get name brand results. Because of your old posts I'm going to save a lot of time and money.

whatthe215

Veteran
^^^ enzymes aren't even mentioned in that fertilizers description...

anyone got any updates? i stopped using the stuff since i've never really had root rot issues.

has anyone who NEEDS an enzyme replaced their hydrostuff with pondclear powder successfully? at what dosage?

is this something i add while growing or only to the medium that i plan to reuse?any point of using this since i let natural microbes and worms break down the roots? for enzymes ive been using aloe vera and coconut water dunno if thats the same

I've never noticed too much of a difference between using hygrozyme and not using it. Is there anyone in here that can definitely say hygrozyme or similar products actually do anything?

Also from some of the information posted on the previous page it looks like just generating enzymes isn't the problem. We need the right kind of enzymes to break down what we're trying to break down. Unless I'm misinterpreting that stuff on the previous page about enzymes being specific. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

On another note. If this whole thing is effective. Why couldn't one mix tiny amounts of that dried pond-zyme powder product directly into their media. Or even better, mix whole barley or barley straw directly into the coco or whatever you're using?

Food for thought..

catalyte

Veteran
beneficial bacteria and fungi exude enzymes as part of their pre-chewing of nutrients and organic matter in the root zone. So if you have a healthy soil with lots of micro-life Enzyme products seem to be a waste of money. I'm sure they help in a hydroponic situation but if you're growing in LIVE organic soil or Soil-less mixes like Pro-Mix or Coco with added Beneficial Bacteria and Fungi, i would forget about bottled Enzymes :yes:

stoned-trout

if it smells like fish
Veteran
I don't have any need.. my living organic soil does all the work for me..i did use hygrozyme when I did hydro.. I don't miss it or its price at all...yeehaw.. I don't use pure coco tho .. I only use it as small part of my mix

LEDSmoke

So has there been a tried and true zyme that people have consistently used that you could reccomend. I could go to Lowe's but if there's a better one I could order let me know

gmanwho

Veteran
IM in hydro, ebb& flood bucket in bucket. Ive used jungle pondzyme, powder from lowes for a solid year or 2. worked good. that container lasted for ever.

currently I use a barley straw product, aquascape barley straw extract, then api pondcare pond-zyme with barley. Both work great, i see alot less sludge in my buckets an controllers at clean out time.

But i also use a beneficial tea. Found the recipe over in the organic hydro thread. i start with distilled water, or i boil the water prior if using dechlorinated tap. its ZHO, Great White, EWC, GH ancient forest, Hydrogaurd, Roots excelerator an then a tbsp of molasses. Key is HIGH AMOUNT OF AIR coming from airstone. Then i add Mosquito dunk to brew up those bacterias that eat fungus knat larvae.

by far the best combo's ive come across to date. An jacks hydro, PLants an roots have never been happier.

an after i strain the tea, i put the left over ewc an ancient forest sediment into my feedings for the soil room. as the old man from duck dynasty says..... happy happy happy!!!!

bsafe everyone...

TanzanianMagic

Veteran
How about the cheapest enzymes - make your own kombucha.

How about kombucha from cannabis roots - just add sugar and water, and keep the roots submerged in the can or bucket you're using. Or cannabis leaves for that matter.

Google: kombucha enzymes

BillFarthing

Veteran
obBms5n.jpg

jammie

ganjatologist
Veteran
bill is spot on-you can spend hundreds of dollars on cannazyme or hydrozyme then subculture or caps bennies or great white or 30 bucks on a jar of pondyme that will last for years. it contains both the enzymes and beneficial bacteria, is totally safe for plants. i started using this for an outdoor fountain that would get full of algea and bacteria after about 3 days in summer and this keeps it completely clear. i do individual 5 gallon dwc and my roots are almost bleached white even til the end of flowering where most roots are at least a little yellow brown. and theres very little root pieces floating in the solution. the enzymes break down the dead roots allowing the nutients to be reabsorbed by the plants. this is one way to combine organics and chemical nutes in a hydro set up.

NEGT1

bill is spot on-you can spend hundreds of dollars on cannazyme or hydrozyme then subculture or caps bennies or great white or 30 bucks on a jar of pondyme that will last for years. it contains both the enzymes and beneficial bacteria, is totally safe for plants. i started using this for an outdoor fountain that would get full of algea and bacteria after about 3 days in summer and this keeps it completely clear. i do individual 5 gallon dwc and my roots are almost bleached white even til the end of flowering where most roots are at least a little yellow brown. and theres very little root pieces floating in the solution. the enzymes break down the dead roots allowing the nutients to be reabsorbed by the plants. this is one way to combine organics and chemical nutes in a hydro set up.

The issue I believe that some tend to run into with mixed solutions with bacteria is that the bacteria effects the solution over time while something like hygrozyme stays stable for years.

Could be wrong. For myself, at the end of the day the price point isn't effected if I add hygrozyme, so I do it.