What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Basement Buds in Bed

G

hmmm, i wouldn't say that was 'classic' PM symptoms, usually it is more of a white powdery deposit.... but PM covers numerous similar fungal species so i guess it could be...

Yeah, I was thinking it's some other type of mildew/mold/fungus. Doesn't seem a major threat right now.

...One thing to watch out for in companion planting in the beds is that it can increase congestion and humidity and reduce circulation. I'm a fan of companion planting but don't use it with indoor cannabis grows for that reason... it is also worth considering that any 'companion' you plant next to your weed plants will also compete with them up to a point.. or could catch a disease and pass it on to your weed plants.

Some people will disagree for sure.. but that is my opinion.

VG

The humidity factor is no joke; my RH dropped 10% overnight when I chopped my cover crop a while back. Growing in the basement with lower humidity as-is, the added moisture was nice during veg, and easy enough to remove. I wanted it to help protect the soil when the plants were small, reduce evaporation, increase drainage and air flow, etc...

Regarding passing on a disease, I can easily see your reason for concern. Especially with soil and plants that are force-fed a synthetic nutritional schedule, the slightest aberration could cause a chain reaction that spoils the whole bed. I'm of the opinion that a healthy living soil is more conducive to companion planting, since those plants do, in fact, communicate with each other to warn the host plants of impending disease/pests, allowing the host plant ample opportunity to secrete chemical signals attracting microbes and such who can help to fend off the impending disease/pests. Synthetically-fed plants leave all of those natural mechanisms severely handicapped since they've been largely bypassed with every feeding, meaning a newly-introduced disease could be catastrophic. Whereas, the same disease introduced in a healthy soil doesn't stand much of a chance to thrive.

Always appreciate the thoughtful and constructive feedback! Gotta love learning new stuff all the time...

A couple of shots taken with the new macro lens.

Day 51 flower

picture.php

picture.php

Not bad for a first crack, but man...you really lose a lot on the upload.

Peace
DM

G

Day 52 flower
So far VG Bubba, MPK, and Sugar Puffs are all showing several visible seeds. Would be surprised if Three Queens and CSI Bubba didn't have any seeds at harvest...kinda bummed, but always looking forward to the next round as long as I can get my stuff straight.

Three Queens has these funky new growth spots all around...just glad they're flowers and not balls.
picture.php

VG Bubba leaves keep souring, albeit slowly. Think I plucked 4-5 today. Her top buds are about 2-3% amber trichomes, couple more weeks should do it.
picture.php

CSI Bubba Q: does being pollinated cause a cannabis plant to change it's terpene profile? Her smell starting getting weaker a couple of weeks ago, wondering if there's a connection there...?
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

Last edited:

LouDog420

Some nice plants and nice pics in here. The uploader here just kills all photo quality, but even so, those are some pretty macros and nice looking resin.

calientecarlos

Veteran
Mosdef wicked macro shots!! My last seedrun was for sure not as stanky but I just chalked it off as not being as big of colas. Might be somethin to being knocked up..

G

Thanks fellas...

Here are a few shots from last night, Day 53 flower

CSI Bubba lowers really purpling up
picture.php

Three Queens
picture.php

Sugar Puffs
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

G

Day 54 flower

After trimming back VG Bubba, you can actually see all 5 girls in the group shot a little better...
picture.php

CSI Bubba
picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush day 44, her trichomes are almost all cloudy. Looks like she may be an early finisher.
picture.php

picture.php

Peace
DM

Mattbho

Epic shots man like serious nat geo high times quality .

Couple free beans oh well it could be worse smokey. That sugar puffs really darkened up fast?

Getting close :)

I'm going to figure out pic of the month and nominate one of your macro shots , killer

G

Epic shots man like serious nat geo high times quality .

Couple free beans oh well it could be worse smokey. That sugar puffs really darkened up fast?

Getting close (smiley)

I'm going to figure out pic of the month and nominate one of your macro shots , killer

Thanks dude, that's too kind!... I'm worried that the hermie pollen might pass undesirable traits to the offspring. And would the seeds be feminized or regular?

Speaking of seeds, I can actually see a clump of pollen on the stigma of this seed. The light white-washed it, but it's definitely yellow irl.
picture.php

And some more just for giggles...
picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

I noticed the strangest thing last night...four branches on VG Bubba detached themselves from the plant, stripped off their own fan leaves, and hung themselves up to dry! I think they even lowered the light when they were done to get more PAR at the canopy...crafty ass branches.
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

:tiphat:

Always my pleasure...

Well, tomorrow is 8 weeks in the books. Looks like the forecast for Christmas is cloudy with a chance of amber!

VG Bubba
picture.php

picture.php

Three Queens
picture.php

CSI Bubba been taking small hits from the flower rosin I squished from her Day 40 sample... I'm definitely picking up coffee flavor, can't wait for the full harvest and cure!
picture.php

Peace
DM

G

:freezing:

I've been thinking a lot about which, if any, of the current clones I might want to run again, and why. Taste carries the biggest weight on my scale, followed closely by strength and effect. Things that detract are deficiencies, hermies (my fault, I know...), mutations, and weak cannabinoid production.

I won't make final decisions until a smoke test on each of them, so take the following with a grain of salt...

Three Queens has been sort of ho-hum, in my opinion. She's never really had a standout appearance, buds are small, virtually zero smell throughout flower, and she was 1 of 2 girls to show a calcium deficiency. In the plus column, she seems to be growing trichomes on top of other trichomes. She's loaded up with sugar for sure...

VG Bubba is definitely not getting run again because I culled her backup. After pollinating my whole room, I don't care how good she tastes or smokes. Again, the herm was my fault caused by a light leak, but I think the number of bananas and actual sacs she spit out was uncalled for. Her smell has been very pungent floral, somewhat sweet, but it's nauseating to me after extended exposure. She showed very minor calcium deficiency mid-flower, and now exhibits little to no resistance to leaf spoilage in late flowering. Plus, she's a friggin beast and I'm running a 4x4 bed here...

Sugar Puffs...oooooh, Sugar Puffs. Beautiful purple colored bracts from the very beginning of flower. Excellent leaf:bud ratio, wonderful smell of grape bubblegum. But she has now shown a half-dozen bananas on her main and side branches. She makes lots of larf down below, has shown multiple mutations, and her trichome stalks seems very short. The trichome coverage overall appears less dense than all the other girls. I'm leaning towards not running her again (still have more seeds, but they're getting old).

CSI Bubba is bangin... The looks, the smells (AND early taste!), she is exactly what I had in mind when I started looking for Bubba seeds. She threw one banana towards the top, light leak, ok... But I found another bunch of about 4-5 bananas underneath one of the lowest buds. She won't produce a lot of weight this round, so I'm leaning towards running her again with 4 tops instead of one, and better defoliation now that I can see where she needs it.

picture.php

picture.php

Mendocino Purple Kush I think is my favorite at this point. If her smell even HALF translates to taste, I will run her forever or until I don't like getting high anymore...hahahahahahahahaha Her trichome stalks look quite long in places, which isn't always great, but she is loaded up with them and makes it look so good with the deep purple color coming through from the inside-out. And she clones super fast and easy. I definitely want to run her again since she had virtually no veg this round. 6 tops should be enough for next round...

picture.php

picture.php

Stay sexy everyone!

Peace
DM

G

What is the deal with the long trichome stalks?

They'll get caught up in finer mesh filters, so if you're looking to sift/screen for trichome heads only, it becomes more difficult. Medium-length stalks with a "weak neck" are ideal, supposedly. (Short stalks make the heads harder to detach when desired, hence the medium-length).

I was looking through my pics for an example of the weak neck. You can search online and find a clearer picture easily...

picture.php

I see all different kinds of trichome shapes and sizes on all the girls. I guess it all comes down to ratios in the end.

Peace
DM

G

Merry Christmas everyone, from all the girls and me!

Youngest to oldest today...

Mendocino Purple Kush
picture.php

Sugar Puffs
picture.php

Three Queens
picture.php

CSI Bubba
picture.php

VG Bubba
picture.php

Ho Ho Ho!!!

Peace
DM

G

I'm not sure if it's LED- vs HID-specific, I'm guessing genetics has a lot more to do with it. I'm not terribly worried about my own trichomes being too long atm, too advanced for my setup just yet...just something I could see the industry gravitating towards in the solventless hash arena.

Feliz Navidad!! Give da ladies some lovin!!

You know it! Trimmed up some crispy VG Bubba samples today after 4 days hanging in ~55%/71F conditions. I know to shoot for 60%/60F to slow down the drying process, but not sure how I'll accomplish it in the space just yet.

Currently hanging in the cabinet with the doors closed (far from air tight, so I know they can breathe easily), being opened several times a day so I can scratch that itch. I could hang them in the flower area once everything is harvested, but that won't work right now. How do I get an isolated area down to 60F in my space?
:dunno:

Anywho, the first weigh-in is encouraging. This is the 2 tallest tops (8g ea.) and 2 other small tops (3g ea.). I don't expect them to lose much weight based on their feel. A few more will come down tonight (Day 58) as their top-most fans are souring.

picture.php

Peace
DM

Latest posts

Latest posts