What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Smoking Peat Listens and Learns

smokingpeat

Hey, welcome! Thought I would start a little grow log here just to keep track of everything that happens along the way of my first grow. So far I’m about 9 days in and having a great time watching my plants grow and tweaking things as I watch them. Seems like I check them about every 30 minutes haha.

My grow setup is a 4x8 tent with two timber grow light redwood vs cob lights. I have a cloudline t6 and a ipower carbon filter that the air is getting pulled through. Got a couple small hurricane fans that I use to create a bit of airflow in the tent. One is pointed toward the seedlings from a few feet away and one is just circulating air in the tent.

Right now the plants are all getting started in pro mix In solo cups but their eventual home will be first 1 gallon fabric pots and then 7 gallon pots to finish in. I’ve got a living soil batch that has been going for 3 weeks or so now that I will transplant into in a week or two when the plants get bigger.

I’m growing 12 plants (my wife and I can each have six with mmmj here in Missouri. I have popped 7 Raspberries and Chocolate by useful seeds, 1 Nepalese Jam by Ace, one golden goat by Irie Genetics, 3 Blue Tsi Fly by Mosca Seeds, and 1 Bag of Oranges by Useful seeds. My eventual plan is to take 8 of these 12 to flower once they are ready and set the other four aside to keep as mothers in a smaller 2x4 tent I’m looking to purchase.

All the plants are doing pretty well I feel like. The Bag of oranges is about a week behind the others that’s why it’s smaller. Replaced a particularly stubborn raspberries and chocolate seed that just would not pop. The irie genetics golden goat is very weird. It’s a full shade lighter than any of my other plants. The first leaves after the cotyledon are flat and don’t have much definition to them. Much thinner blades than the others as well. Pretty interesting. It seems to be growing at a comparable rate to the others so maybe it’s ok I guess we’ll see haha. Pictures below if I can figure out how to post them.

Weather has been getting cooler (as has my house) so I’m not watering as frequently as I was when my tent was getting up to 80. Takes a day and a half or so for them to dry out when I give them a good water (about a 3rd of the volume of the solo cups they are planted in.

Had a relaxing brisk day today. Listened to some jazz while I worked in the wood shop. Bola Sete, Joe Pass, and some Hermeto Pascoal. I love jazz on an overcast day. Had a little fire out back this evening with my wife and dog. My friend just got back from Oklahoma and brought some Mac-1 from a dispensary. Potent smoke!!

Link below for some Hermeto Pascoal fun.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=06Qm-Z5OsHw

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

packerfan79

Veteran
What's up Smoking peat,

I guess I am the first to post.
Shit i didn't even know Missouri had medical.

Seedlings look nice.

smokingpeat

Thanks man! Having fun with my first grow. The medical thing here is pretty recent, within the last year or so. There aren’t any dispensaries even open yet though there should be one in my town within the next month or two. Within walking distance of my spot so that should be fun to check out while I wait on these girls. The one thing they did right when they did medical is making sure that everyday people were able to cultivate, seems like almost everything else they did they bungled. The licensing process for commercial folks was a joke unfortunately.

smokingpeat

Things have been progressing. Most my plants look great except for the goat which continues to struggle. Really a bummer every time I look at it! Starting a new job next week as a journeyman plumber. Maybe it will come in handy as I move forward. A nice reverse osmosis system would be cool for the gals. Watered the goat super hard today and staked it in an attempt to inspire it to strive toward living! The Blue Tsi Fly by Mosca is turning into a damn bush. Also 99 percent sure I managed to snag a cut of kushmans strawberry cough cut. Time will tell! Any advice on the goat would be great. It was born ugly but it continues to get uglier and uglier. Wonder could it be the s1 genetics?

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

picture.php

Fiddynut

Greetings smokingpeat.
Your plants look great! The goat does look like its not happy and I would suspect there is something going on at the root level causing it not to be able to take in nutrients. This is often a ph issue. You can keep trying to keep her going but its not likely she will ever be a winner. Some plants are just week. Don't let one plant drag down the rest of them and your grow.

smokingpeat

Hey @fiddynut @green81. Over the last couple days I did some research and I think I agree with fiddynut on the ph being the issue. Somehow I never looked very deeply into pro mix and just assumed that it was “soil” and that I didn’t need to ph the water. Of course, it’s a soilless mix and I’m surprised they’ve all done as well as they have. The goat must just be sensitive to higher ph levels. So in an effort to help them all continue to move in a more positive direction I transplanted them a bit early into some living soil I’ve had mixed up for the last month or so. Hopefully this solves some issues I’ve had. Also to note in the “live and learn” category is that I don’t think there was appropriate drainage with my solo cups. There were thick root masses at the bottom of every cup where I’m assuming the water would collect and sit. Gonna cut bigger holes in the bottom of my starting containers next time. They look a little sad and droopy post transplant but I’m hoping they perk up over the next couple days and enjoy their new homes. Thanks for the support and help, as always! Hope you guys are doing well and staying safe
picture.php

packerfan79

Veteran
Hey @fiddynut @green81. Over the last couple days I did some research and I think I agree with fiddynut on the ph being the issue. Somehow I never looked very deeply into pro mix and just assumed that it was “soil” and that I didn’t need to ph the water. Of course, it’s a soilless mix and I’m surprised they’ve all done as well as they have. The goat must just be sensitive to higher ph levels. So in an effort to help them all continue to move in a more positive direction I transplanted them a bit early into some living soil I’ve had mixed up for the last month or so. Hopefully this solves some issues I’ve had. Also to note in the “live and learn” category is that I don’t think there was appropriate drainage with my solo cups. There were thick root masses at the bottom of every cup where I’m assuming the water would collect and sit. Gonna cut bigger holes in the bottom of my starting containers next time. They look a little sad and droopy post transplant but I’m hoping they perk up over the next couple days and enjoy their new homes. Thanks for the support and help, as always! Hope you guys are doing well and staying safe
View Image

Yeah, you gotta ph. I have never used pro mix, but ph is very important. If ph isn't in range you can't uptake the nutrients. This causes lockouts.

Is the goat a sativa? They tend to be more finicky. It could just be a weak plant.

Hope you get it worked out.

smokingpeat

Yeah, you gotta ph. I have never used pro mix, but ph is very important. If ph isn't in range you can't uptake the nutrients. This causes lockouts.

Is the goat a sativa? They tend to be more finicky. It could just be a weak plant.

Hope you get it worked out.

I think it is a sativa so lines up with what you’re saying. I would have adjusted ph but for some reason I though pro mix was a soil and would buffer for me. Kinda silly. Could have been avoided by a single google search honestly. It is what it is. I’m glad that I caught it in time.

FunkBomb

Power Armor rules
Veteran
You can buy a basic General Hydroponics pH test kit for around 12-15 dollars. The dividends that will pay will be in the thousands.

-Funk

Fiddynut

View Image

Good afternoon smokingpeat.
Potting up into fresh soil is a great way to cheer up unhappy plants. I've never grown in pro mix or anything other than soil so I can't say anything about that. I like growing in soil because it gives me a buffer for things like nutrients and pH to some extent. I also mineralize my soil to get more Ca and Mg in there since I use RO water.
I think your right about having max drainage being a good thing in your pots. I don't think you can overdue that. Roots will always find the bottom of the pots and circle around down there. I think this is more pronounced in seed plants because of the tap root, clones are a bit less susceptible but will still get root bound if they are kept in small pots too long.
My plants always look a little droopy right after transplant but get really happy within a day or two. You should notice a nice little growth spurt a few days after transplant as well.
Looking good brother!

smokingpeat

picture.php

Bag of Oranges by Useful seeds. Some update pics. Been learning how to train and have some new tops showing up which is fun. Been phing my water, and getting used to picking the pots up. Had some heat/under watering issues that may have set me back a bit earlier this week but they are looking a lot better and starting to grow quickly.

Raspberries n Chocolate

picture.php

Nepalese Jam

IMG]https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84544&pictureid=2090297[/IMG]

The goat is still very ugly lol. Not sure if it will ever recover honestly. Hope everybody is doing well in this crazy time.

Fiddynut

Looking good buddy!
There are always a few little setbacks in the garden but when the plants are growing quickly you know they are happy plants. A stressed plant will usually quit growing and will sometimes quit drinking water as.well.
Keep up the good work!

Latest posts

Latest posts