What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

popular male clone only's

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
I can't see how the maturation time would affect anything else. I always prefer males to show before females so they are easy to remove or collect from in time to use.

Booyah!

I don't choose males on convenience. In fact my males would throw a lot of people off and have. I chose for complexity of smell and yes the later developed males do have more complex smell ranges. They also are more photo sensitive than their buddies that triggered as soon as they could.

GMT

The Tri Guy
Veteran
That may have been the case for those particular plants, but its stretching it to say that the genes that code for maturation time, are also responsible for how a male smells.

PDX Dopesmoker

I don't choose males on convenience. In fact my males would throw a lot of people off and have. I chose for complexity of smell and yes the later developed males do have more complex smell ranges. They also are more photo sensitive than their buddies that triggered as soon as they could.

Do you mean later developing outdoors or later developing after a 12/12 flip indoors?

vanilla dutch

its a bit harder to make seeds with later flowering males wouldnt u say? quantity anyway.thanks for the photos and comments everybody

B

Benny106

It is unless you give the girls a head start. Not sure why but the males always seem to be in full swing a couple weeks before the girls are.

Booyah!

Thank you everyone for getting back at me. One thing that has remained consistent is that WHEN a plant finishes has more to do with it's character than most people give credit. The whole maxim of using a shorter flowering male is one I find short sighted for the most part and is born out of convenience rather than quality.
Using a shorter flowering male with a much longer flowering female even from the same line ends up changing it's character in the offspring. I have been growing and selecting males for many years and go through hundreds of seeds every year in search of males that meet my personal criteria. I kill way more males than I use. I steer towards matched complexity and avoid dominant smells that are not complimentary to the smells I am trying to match in the mother. I reveg my males and test their photosensitivity as well as their vigor and double check sexual stability. Convenience does not play a factor in my selections. I grow mainly outdoors, but have the same mentally about indoors. I've been working the same line for three going on years now and feel like it's getting more refined with each passing generation (2 per year). I definitely am biased towards my line and it's particular traits but still believe complexity takes time to develop which the male should allow the female to express in the offspring.

B

Benny106

Big dick energy

Attachments

• 20201014_183209.jpg
    20201014_183209.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 43

stashpot

sup guys, nice thread I guess there isn't a lot of people in the world interested in the ole males especially these days, everybody is interested in Chemical enhancements though, go figure. The easy way.
Anyway here are 2 males i recently selected from a mix run, i had 5 males and these 2 where the best from a long list of traits and desirable attributes.

both passed many tests that you can think of including reversing to veg, no light, no water, uprooted, chopped, hacked, everything you can think of these babies went through.

They both had killer terps even in veg
Both had female looks to them at most points in life. (i select for this)

This is Colombian D x i95 male (Dubbed Highway Hippy)
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84549&pictureid=2084135
picture.php

This is Garlic breath x {88g13Hp x Dragon stash} Male AKA Dragon Garlic Breath
https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84549&pictureid=2084138
picture.php

https://www.icmag.com/ic/picture.php?albumid=84549&pictureid=2084140
picture.php

P.S these guys flowered under natural light after they showed sex i took them from the grow.
So without much light they did pretty well not to much stretch or floppy growth and gave off decent clusters all things considered.

Last edited:

PDX Dopesmoker

I think the best thing I've ever heard anyone say on the topic of selecting males was Duke Diamond on The Pot Cast. What he had to say was that when you're trying to make seeds, you want to make ones with exceptional female characteristics. Healthy, heavy, tasty & frosty female flowers is what you want the seeds to make and if you think of an analogy in human breeding then you can get a better idea of how to pick male pot plants for breeding. So say you want to select human parents to breed girls with big tits, how would you pick them? The mother is pretty easy, pick one with big tits or even better, pick one with big tits & with sisters with big tits & cousins with big tits & a mother with big tits & grandmothers with big tits. How to pick a father is a little bit more complicated, but not impossible. If you can find a guy who has the sisters, cousins, mother & grandmothers with big tits then thats great. If you can find a guy who has already produce offspring with big tits then you probably have a good father. You probably wouldn't go looking for men with big tits. Even if you did, you probably wouldn't want to use effeminate dudes with man-tits for the fathers after you met them. If you wanted to pick a father and you didn't know anything about the guys family background then you'd probably just want to use some big healthy looking guy and at least get nice healthy children who have to potential to grow into the mother's big tits genes. Thats as close as i can remember what he said.
It takes forever to find out if a male plant was genuinely special, growing out his and his brothers' progeny from different females to compare who was the best father is a massive project. Its no surprise there aren't too many people who have kept males, so thank god we had Duke Diamond to come up with an easy, logical workaround to the problem for us.

PDX Dopesmoker

Here is my current collection of males, I tend to use them early in their flowering cycle and then pluck off the most of the flowers so I don't spread pollen all over.
UVJA6bR.jpg

This is a closeup featuring (left to right) Thai Dye bagseed, two Eswatini bagseed boys, Blueberry & that last one bottom right that you can barely see doesn't need to be named because you can't see it very well anyway, plus it doesn't really have a name, but I like it a lot, his sisters are A+ material in all respects except they flower too late.
YemYiRL.jpg

stashpot

Here is my current collection of males, I tend to use them early in their flowering cycle and then pluck off the most of the flowers so I don't spread pollen all over.
View Image

This is a closeup featuring (left to right) Thai Dye bagseed, two Eswatini bagseed boys, Blueberry & that last one bottom right that you can barely see doesn't need to be named because you can't see it very well anyway, plus it doesn't really have a name, but I like it a lot, his sisters are A+ material in all respects except they flower too late.
View Image
nice dude i was laughing at your bigtits analogy lol haha.
Problem is with plants you dont know they have big tits until its in the joint haha.

Either way i like to breed for high, terps, weight. in that order.
if i can find those 3 things in the offspring i'll continue on with them.
Right now im setting up to make a pairing of the same strain.
I95 x {88g13Hp x Dragon stash} x {Colombian D x i95 ] hoping to pair some nice i95 leaners. Both the 95s are same family. so they should re-blend with each other nicely.

Hey PDX is there reason why u use bagseed? or just all you have?

PDX Dopesmoker

I like bagseed because you get to check out what kind of finished product mommy produced before deciding if you want to grow the seeds. Growing out seed that came out of excellent bud is much less of a leap of faith than getting seed from a "professional marijuana breeder" as far as I'm concerned. Have you ever met any of those people? They're not the generally most trustworthy seeming types if you ask me, many of them reputedly have connections to the criminal underworld.

stashpot

I like bagseed because you get to check out what kind of finished product mommy produced before deciding if you want to grow the seeds. Growing out seed that came out of excellent bud is much less of a leap of faith than getting seed from a "professional marijuana breeder" as far as I'm concerned. Have you ever met any of those people? They're not the generally most trustworthy seeming types if you ask me, many of them reputedly have connections to the criminal underworld.
not the people i deal with man, all my people i get from are just growers and lovers of cannabis, real breeders who select.
i dont buy from seedbanks or dodgy people just good people some even donate alot of the money to charities there is some good people out there dude.

as a suggestion check out Dragon flame genetics both online and social media and also Mass medical.. good genetics, good prices, good service, good people.

PDX Dopesmoker

That was just a joke about organized criminals being untrustworthy, I've never really found that people who adhere to statue law to be any more honest or better in any other way than those who adhere to higher principles. I remember listening to the Mass Medical interview on The Pot Cast a while ago, entertaining and informative.