What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Outdoor DWC Grow - Capstone

Crazy Chester

I had an extra Capstone clone, by Capulator, so I thought I'd try growing it outdoors in a tight spot wedged in by my chimney, house wall and neighbor's fence.

It gets maybe only 2 hours of direct sunlight a day, but she seems to be loving it so far!

Cool. I've never heard of someone doing a DWC outdoors before. Have you done it before?

I'm growing "Capstone" outdoors this summer too....In a 30gal fabric pot in live soil.

It seems to be a super slow grower compared to the other strains/plants I have going this time around. Is this something you've noticed at all? I've been looking around online for info/posts about this strain but there isn't much out there, not a common strain.

Have you grown and/or smoked this strain before? If so, do you have anything to say about it?

I've never smoked it or grown it before...I expect it to have an aroma that I'll enjoy tho, I'm looking forward to smelling the fresh resin once it starts to flower.

Crazy Chester

Cool. I've never heard of someone doing a DWC outdoors before. Have you done it before?

I haven't done it before, but I know most people don't try it due to reservoir temps being too high. I figured I'd give it shot though because I have a recirculating dwc system on my roof that is doing well which is fed by a reservoir that is close to where this dwc plant is. My high reservoir temps reach as high as 86 degrees and can remain high for a couple hours in the middle of the day, but cools overnight to 55-60 degrees before slowly warming up with the day. The plants have been fine with that.

Here's a shot of the Capstone I have on the roof - it's only three feet high, but also five feet long and four feet wide! So, high daytime res temps coupled with low night-time res temps has resulted in this (at about four weeks of flower after about five weeks of vegging on the roof in its 10 gallon container):

I'm growing "Capstone" outdoors this summer too....In a 30gal fabric pot in live soil.

Excellent!

It seems to be a super slow grower compared to the other strains/plants I have going this time around. Is this something you've noticed at all? I've been looking around online for info/posts about this strain but there isn't much out there, not a common strain.

Yeah, it's tough to find info about this strain. There's someone on youtube who should have harvested by now who hasn't updated on it.

I've found it to be my best vegger. The one by my chimney was about eight inches tall when I put it out there and now, less than a month later, it's nearly three feet tall. I grow in soil too (I've got some Alien OG bagseed plants in soil right now and a ton of veggies). I'm thinking yours is probably just filling the pot with roots right now, like my Alien OG clones - they didn't grow at all for about three weeks because I transplanted it directly to a 1.5 liter container when they had been only a week or so from germ. But, after they had their roots established, they grew normally.

One thing I noticed is the Capstone on the roof only stretched for the first two weeks of flower and appeared to stretch only about 50%.

Have you grown and/or smoked this strain before? If so, do you have anything to say about it?

Nope. Haven't flowered it out either. I think mine will be ready to harvest in the first week of September, so, it won't be long until we find out what it's like. I did notice that it is getting the stone fruit smell now a few weeks into flower. Also, when it was still in veg I took clones and the stone fruit smell was quite strong on the cut end of the clone! You should cut part of it off and smell the cut end if you haven't already done it - smelled like peaches and plums to me!

I'm looking forward to smelling the fresh resin once it starts to flower.

Me too - I'm really looking forward to this one!

Last edited:

Crazy Chester

Finally a Capstone Review...

Finally a Capstone Review...

The youtuber who had grown out Capstone but had not responded to my inquiry about how it turned out finally wrote:

"Never saw this till now, I gave it up. The smell was super intense, turned a majority of the capstone into Topical Rubs just because it was worth the smoke tbh, gave a really racy high. Wasn't for me, I like the really heavy Indicas. Cheers"

Sounds like what I was hoping for - a strong sativa high with loud terps! :whee:

Crazy Chester

Growing like a weed!

Growing like a weed!

She's getting to be quite a big girl for her little 5 gallon pot:

View from above:

Big Eggy

Veteran
You got some others down there too?

I had a plant (auto) in a similar spot that was shaded by a wall one side and a huge hedge the other.. it was a case of that's where it can go, but pleasantly surprised how well it did. Maybe next year I run a hydro set up from the pond in the garden to hide the wires and tubes etc.

Nice work CC.. keep us updated!

Crazy Chester

Pond Side DWC?! I Love It!

Pond Side DWC?! I Love It!

You got some others down there too?

Yup - I filled up the available space with MAC 1 and Peak Seeds C99, each in their own 5 gallon container identical to the one the Capstone is in. I have a thread here for each of those too.

I had a plant (auto) in a similar spot that was shaded by a wall one side and a huge hedge the other.. it was a case of that's where it can go, but pleasantly surprised how well it did.

True - I was surprised as well - I suppose she gets a fair amount of reflected light, especially off the light colored house side. With her huge leaves, which are way bigger than the ones on the plant on the roof that gets 10 hours of direct sun a day, it looks like she's doing fine. The containers she's in (black colored) also only get about two hours of direct light to warm the nutrient solution - which helps to keep my root temps in line. Actually, it doesn't even get that anymore because the plant has grown so large she's shading the container.

Maybe next year I run a hydro set up from the pond in the garden to hide the wires and tubes etc.

Speaking of root temps in a DWC setup, you've got a great idea there! If a DWC container were dug into the ground by the pond, the root temps would be no higher than the pond's presumably greater water volume - if you live in a temperate environment, that could also extend your flowering time past perhaps the first couple of frost days that hit the rest of your property late in the season.

Nice work CC.. keep us updated!

Thanks, Big Eggy - will do. Also, I'd love to see that pond-side DWC set up of yours in some kind of grow journal next year - it could be spectacular!

Crazy Chester

Captstone DWC Outdoor Update!

Captstone DWC Outdoor Update!

She's getting huge and I'm having to replenish her nutes every few days:

Crazy Chester

New Capstone Clone in DWC at a Different Spot!

New Capstone Clone in DWC at a Different Spot!

After starting a new mother, I put my old Capstone mother plant outdoors to flower in a DWC container at a different spot on the property. I'll call her Clone #2 in this thread; here she is in her new home:

Crazy Chester

Capstone #1 is starting to set up some buds:

Capstone #2 is still getting used to her DWC - I expect her to explode in growth in the coming week:

Crazy Chester

First, the good looking one - Capstone #2

First, the good looking one - Capstone #2

She's getting bushy, but no buds yet:

Last edited:

Crazy Chester

And the older, ugly sister - Capstone #1

And the older, ugly sister - Capstone #1

Not fungus gnats this time - but a string of unusually hot days rotted part of my root stock (about 10%), probably from my nutrients getting too warm during the heat wave. So, I took a hose, set the nozzle on full and sprayed the shit out of the root ball about a week ago, soaked the roots in my IPM and put it into some fresh nutrients. Clearly, she stopped uptaking nutrients for a time, as evidenced by the yellow leaves:

However, the roots appear to have recovered over the last couple days - no more rot smell in the reservoir. She's a leafy plant, so I'm not too worried about her having enough to finish. But, she's going to have to survive more weeks than planned in order to mature her flowers enough - probably into November.

Her buds should be twice this size by now, but, they have been slowly growing since I treated her:

Crazy Chester

Capstone #1 died, but...

Capstone #1 died, but...

Capstone #2 is kicking butt. She's got some amazing stone fruit terps and is showing some ambers already. I originally thought she would finish at 10 weeks - now I think 9 or as early as next week (completion of 8 weeks of flowering).

picture.php

picture.php

Crazy Chester

Harvest!

Harvest!

I took Capstone earlier than I thought I would - 60 days. Three of her buds were pollinated a month ago, so that may have hastened her finish - she had maybe 1-2% amber trichomes.
picture.php
picture.php

I left the three buds that were pollinated on the plant and harvested the rest - the seeds will need a few more weeks to mature. The seeds from this plant will be:

1. Capstone x GG4 BX7
2. Capstone x Tahoe Alien
3. Capstone x Crumbled Lime

Last edited:
I wasn't all that impressed with the Capstone I grew outdoors this year.

It has a decent amount of resin/trichomes. Relatively potent compared to the other strains/plants I grew this summer but not super strong. It has a decent high/effect, a bit more on the head and functional rather than being stoney but def strong enough to put one down if enough is smoked.

There's almost no aroma or flavor to it at all though. Even when the plant was alive and giving a bud a tickle with my finger, the resin just didn't have much smell to it at any point. I kept thinking maybe as it got deeper into flowering it would take on a richer essence but that never happened. It has a mild sweet essence along with a tiny hint of apricot underneath, but super mild all around, almost no smell at all.

It's a decent smoke, just doesn't have much essence or character to it. I have no interest in growing it again.

The "Sour Diesel X Lemon Kush" I grew this year turned out similar. Basically almost no aroma/flavor at all but still super resinous & sticky and a nice high. This is the first time I've grown some plants that have such little aroma to them, I'm used to buds being very loud and gassy & skunky.

All the other strains I grew this year turned out with great aroma tho.

Crazy Chester

Man, that sucks Organilush. Maybe they had the "dudding" disease. Someone here experienced it with a well known California producer's clones - right around the same time they stated they could cure it. Fortunately, my clone wasn't from that nursery - my clone was from Purple City Genetics. My Super Lemon Haze clone was also from them. Both finished with strong terps, with the Capstone being as stinky as the SLH. The aroma was apparent as soon as she developed trics early in flower. Neither are dry enough to test yet, but I know I ended up with way more terps than you did. What was the source of your Capstone?

Man, that sucks Organilush. Maybe they had the "dudding" disease. Someone here experienced it with a well known California producer's clones - right around the same time they stated they could cure it. Fortunately, my clone wasn't from that nursery - my clone was from Purple City Genetics. My Super Lemon Haze clone was also from them. Both finished with strong terps, with the Capstone being as stinky as the SLH. The aroma was apparent as soon as she developed trics early in flower. Neither are dry enough to test yet, but I know I ended up with way more terps than you did. What was the source of your Capstone?

I got the Capstone and all my other strains/clones (6 in total) from just a random dude that was selling clones, he had a lot of the common strains that both PCG and DH offer but for a fraction of the cost that it would be out of a weed store.

As usual I had my doubts about the legitimacy of them all being the strains that they were claimed and labeled to be...but everything turned out to be legit for sure, the Strawberry Banana was on point, the Vanilla Frosting and the Granimals too. They were all def the real deal.

The dudding disease thing def came to my mind. I feel that might be the reason but not sure. I'm aware of what it is but don't know a ton about it, I'll do some reading into it and see. The two plants that did turn out with relatively little smell (Capstone and "Sour D X Lemon Kush") also appeared a bit "stunted" and like they weren't developing as they should.

Both those plants still ended up with nice dense buds that are quite resinous & frosted, just lacking aroma/terps and seemed like the plants had more potential in em' and sorta stopped swelling up early (but maybe they are early finishers?).

I just smoked some of the Capstone a bit ago....It's a nice high, relatively clear and uplifting and euphoric. I've been trimming for a couple hours and started to feel tired & out of it, after smoking this Capstone it feel like it's woken me up a bit and cleared up my headspace.

Def a good day smoke. I dig the high, just not impressed with the aroma/terps/flavor but that could be some other factor on my end.

All of those crosses you did with the Capstone sound like they'll turn out with some nice ones....Right on!