What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Zacatecas' and friends - Koon's spring of happiness

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
The Zacateca plants smell very different, the #1 is a fresh lime+lemon scent, feels a bit oily, the Zacateca #2 has a more sweet bubblegummy fruity smell, feels like more resinous. Must remember to get some magnification and check for trichome size differences between the two.

Cheers

very nice Koon. I thin there has to happen some nice recombination in this cross, and something not expect able can pop. big sur hollyweed is not lemony weed at all. more such sweet spicy fruity smell. there is also blueberry menthol pheno loved by many.. I am not familiar with Green Mountain Oaxaca, cant remember if some lemon smells were reported??? vermontman said it smells like old spice aftershave? if I am not mistaken? keep it up.

bopper

Hi Koon,

Thanks for posting the Zacateca photos and comments. They are much appreciated.

Do you, by any chance, have the original specs for Zacateca Tribute from Ace's website? I failed to copy then before the listing disappeared. Flowering time and grow recommendations would be particularly welcome.

Thanks for your help.

Best,

bopper

Koondense

Veteran
Thanks MallardDuck :dance013:

Bopper, thanks. If I remember correctly it was stated 10-11 weeks of flowering, at least seeing the plants I would expect it to be more or less correct. They are happy with medium doses of ferts, a bit sensitive in the early stage. Maybe they get hungrier later in flower... both developed some kind of "rusting" on main leaves, makes me think of mineral lockout, no other plants show this deficency. I don't worry as they're otherwise well fed and will make it with no problem until the end.

MahaKala, I went to check what you're saying and it's right, BSHW or OaxacaSkull don't mention lemony aromas anywhere, at least when reading about the specific plants used here. Interesting also, as the parents are not true breeding(don't seem so) there's increased chance for interesting outcomes in F1 seeds so probably the lemon in this particular plant comes out from a recessive trait form a more distant parent, maybe an Afghani part in BSHW or something lost in the Oaxaca. Maybe we should ask Phylos? ;) Just kidding :)
While digging a bit I found out a picture posted by Vermontman on another forum, it's a picture of the BigSur plant used as mother in this cross. It's practically the same as my Zac#1 plant, looks 95% the same, so I was right to be unable to see the Oaxaca part in these two plants, seems they're very Big Sur dominant.

Big Sur by Vermontman
picture.php

Zac #1 by Koondense
picture.php

The Zac#1 is the fresh spicy lemony plant, the Zac#2 is way sweeter(and had some nanners on the bottom branch!) and is on the more "indica" smelling spectrum, expecting a bit heavier effects from her.

Cheers

F2F

Hiya guys, very interesting indeed.

From someone who has grown out the Skullf___. “The main aroma in Vermontmans Oaxacan line are pine and cedar with slighty fruity undertones as well as a hashi note.”

The Zacs I have outdoors are rather small still but am picking up fruity. On a related note, I’m running A few purple satellite F2’s made from Oax-leaning F1’s and I’m definitely picking up lemon. Could be a recessive trait as you say or maybe something from a recent outcross (HFS) done to restore vigor to the line??

Cheers
F2F

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah I would also say lemony smell is from oaxaca :D whatever hope the smoke will be satisfying. seems like chunky and with good yield?

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Hi Koondense,

Really nice to see the Zacateca Tribute plants performing so well in your garden :)

Zamaldelica x Panama is one of our latest, most interesting new sativa hybrids produced with our best parent plants (Zamaldelica elite F1 and Panama Goddess F10) from each strain. The feedback we have recently received about this cross from growers has been really positive, a couple said it was one of their favorite sativas smokes ever, and both are very experienced growers who have tried many of our strains. Unfortunately all the Zamaldelica x Panama fem seeds from our R+D section have been sold out but we will try to produce more in upcoming Panama fem reproduction and maybe release it in a more official way. Purple Zamal hybrids are also very interesting and different to the very refined mango carrot Zamaldelica elite expression.

We are in contact with Green Mountain Seeds to work on the re stock of their strains through our website.
I will make a thread in this room dedicated to Green Mountain Seeds strains (with pics and official descriptions) once we receive more stock.
We will keep you all updated. Thanks for your interest!

Koondense

Veteran
That's good news dubi,

can be really helpful for those who grow GreenMountain seeds to have the strain descriptions available at any time.
My plants are very close to finish and both had issues with nutrient uptake in mid flowering, maybe a factor of spectrum and high temperatures(32-35°C) but i feel i should have given them a richer feed from the start. It's a learning process and they still look good so no serious trouble really.

I'm glad to have some Zamaldelica x Panama seeds you sent me last year, will pop one today along with some other sativas i need to know and get experience with.
Looks like the next round will include ZamxPan, Lime madness, A5s1, Tikal, OaxPan, Sweetskunk XL, Silverfields and maybe original haze and pan o haze, but i'm not sure about some. Also thinking about NepalMist and Mad Chem, time will tell which plants will succeed.

Enjoy the summer heat if you do, i don't :)

Cheers

dubi

ACE Seeds Breeder
Vendor
Veteran
Wow! Love the way your Oax x Panama selection turned out this round Koondense :yes:
Looks like you are going to be well assorted this summer :D

Koondense

Veteran
Thank you dubi,
indeed a lovely plant this one, I have a big mother plant waiting for action.

OaxPan
picture.php

Can't get enough of her citrus zest smell, just wonderful!

And a lovely duo, BubbaHash and OaxPan
picture.php

It's a time to re-learn how to love indica plants. This one has amazing terpenes althogh not a loud smell, or at least not pungent. A mix of ripe fruits, berries, pine, rubber and mint. Turned a bit purple which is interesting and weird because the temps were really high all flowering, the latest weeks were above 32°C. Buds are tight, dense and heavy, not big but packed and very resinous.

Cheers

Fronk

Thank you dubi,
indeed a lovely plant this one, I have a big mother plant waiting for action.

OaxPan
View Image
Can't get enough of her citrus zest smell, just wonderful!

And a lovely duo, BubbaHash and OaxPan
View Image
It's a time to re-learn how to love indica plants. This one has amazing terpenes althogh not a loud smell, or at least not pungent. A mix of ripe fruits, berries, pine, rubber and mint. Turned a bit purple which is interesting and weird because the temps were really high all flowering, the latest weeks were above 32°C. Buds are tight, dense and heavy, not big but packed and very resinous.

Cheers

Juicy as. :tiphat:
I loved bubba hash.
Just popped one of each of those actually.
Enjoy.

Koondense

Veteran
Hi MahaKala,
you're right, the Zac#1 is the more oaxacan bud pheno, the #2 was the more BSHW pheno, not a "spear" bud structure, more hybrid looking with more substantial bld influence, also the smell indicated the afghani fruity influence, was overall a darker plant, more similar to your bshw.
However the #2 threw some nanners so I did not keep the clone, I did with the #1 which I prefer in every trait. She also had a couple(way less than #2) male sacs but I don't care that much about it.
I put one Zac#1 outdoors in the Alps, along with the Oaxaca x KaliChina, will go visit them in october for a harvest, hopefully.
Your BSHW looks damn fine btw ;)

Cheers

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
yeah there is some ghani in it. I believe it is not real bshw.. hope it is in pure form somewhere.. alpine grow really? this season seems colder to me. good luck.

Koondense

Veteran
Yeah, got a couple clones with no plans so they had to go in the mountains for a hike ;)
Nothing to lose really.

Cheers

F2F

as far as flower structure of bshw x oaxaca I would say oaxacan influenced it a lot.. bshws have rounded buds, more like ghani.. here is my bshw View Image

Hello Maha,

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the origin of that BSHW? Is it same as that used by Vermontman in the Zacatecas Tribute (think he he calls his BSHB - Big Sur Holy Bud)? I’m running two of the ZT’s OD now and trying to get my bearings on phenotype :)

Many thanks in advance!

Peace
F2F

MAHA KALA

atomizing haze essence
Veteran
Hello Maha,

If you don’t mind me asking, what is the origin of that BSHW? Is it same as that used by Vermontman in the Zacatecas Tribute (think he he calls his BSHB - Big Sur Holy Bud)? I’m running two of the ZT’s OD now and trying to get my bearings on phenotype :)

Many thanks in advance!

Peace
F2F

mine is from friend. if it is true he used BSHB from Bodhi, then his big surholy was even more indica than mine..

Latest posts

Latest posts