What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Motherlode Gardens 2020

CrushnYuba

the truck's not exactly new, it's a 2003 :biggrin: She just hit 200,000 miles last week. older tacomas like that one generally last forever if properly maintained. I have a friend who got to 350,000 miles on his

Space Monkey turned out great, we are growing it again this year. floral lavendar and gasoline terps with good yields. Very unique flavor, and pretty light-purple flowers.

Older Toyota trucks are just monsters. If you give them the smallest bit of attention they will go and gooo. I really don't think i will ever sell my 99 land cruiser. Miles are just numbers. If you take care of her, she should last indefinitely.

Dude... I just looked over your thread. You are still crushhhing it. It's so nice to see someone giving their ladies everything they need to reach their fullest potential year after year... And you take the time to document it and share it. No one else is doing that.

What's up with the beans? How do i get my hands on some of these seeds to crack?

pipeline

Cannabotanist
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Looks like you've been keeping up with the work this year, and its paying off! Some of those plants may end up being record breakers! We've found the motherload!

My garden is doing really well this year too! My plot equals 1 plant in your garden and I've been following your guidelines for watering and pruning the bottoms and they are coming up strong!

Keep pushing them! People need the medicine! May end up needing a 3rd ring of support for the trees!

Consider experimenting with compost mulch next year! It would help keep weeds down, conserve water, and fertilize at the same time. :smoke:

gsxr97

Veteran
Beans

Beans

I was wondering the same thing on getting beans :)

Older Toyota trucks are just monsters. If you give them the smallest bit of attention they will go and gooo. I really don't think i will ever sell my 99 land cruiser. Miles are just numbers. If you take care of her, she should last indefinitely.

Dude... I just looked over your thread. You are still crushhhing it. It's so nice to see someone giving their ladies everything they need to reach their fullest potential year after year... And you take the time to document it and share it. No one else is doing that.

What's up with the beans? How do i get my hands on some of these seeds to crack?

Ibechillin

Masochist Educator
Im thinking seeds will be available sometime after this season's harvest. They are doing a seed run and have an instagram page for it named Motherlodeseeds.

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran

thanks! we are weighing our options for releasing seeds this fall. I may just sell them from my instagram page, although i wouldn't mind exploring other avenues as well. I don't know any seed banks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Yeah - I'm sure Seedbay would be interested - anything new from a respected ICMAG member usually goes well -

thanks! we are weighing our options for releasing seeds this fall. I may just sell them from my instagram page, although i wouldn't mind exploring other avenues as well. I don't know any seed banks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Yo, how's it coming along, Shcrews?

Hope everything is coming along nicely.

Everything is great here. I havent been updating this thread as much as i would like, too busy... I wrote a long post recently and accidentally deleted the whole thing! The summer has been pretty mellow, there's not a lot going on and we haven't really left the farm since the covid lockdown started in march so the garden has gotten our complete attention and most of our tasks are done for the year. All that's really left now is to trim the cover crop, hang more trellis netting, and prepare for harvest.

The garden is looking better than ever. The rate of growth on these ladies is ridiculous, overall our average plant size is bigger than any previous years. Everything is, for the most part, very healthy. The plants are starting to flower, we are entering the final phase of the grow season and so far I am very happy with the overall state of things.

Our feeding schedule has been very light this year. In fact, we have not fed the plants at all other than a weekly foliar spray. They have been on a plain water diet since they were germinated. Our foliar regimen is simple, in veg we spray with Ferti-Nitro, Biomin calcium, and AEA Micropak (micronutrients). Once flowering begins we swap the Ferti-nitro and Micropak out for AEA 2-part (Holomac and Holomic). That, plus the rich soil seems to give them what they need, although there are a few which have recently started showing signs of a slight potassium deficiency.

I have been hanging up trellis netting non-stop for a month now. Some of the bigger plants will need at least 3 layers of netting. This is our biggest task during the months of august and september. I tried a new technique this year, hanging the first layer of trellis directly from the inner cage, and it worked great to help the plants maintain their shape. The second and third layers of trellis are then attached to t-posts which stick up about 10 feet out of the ground. I bought a new ladder for this, the Little Giant "Leveler". It works great on our steep hill, i highly recommend it. They are pretty cheap too and very versatile. (this is not a paid ad , lol)

Our IPM regimen seems to have been effective so far, although it's still too early to say. We have been spraying weekly, alternating between Venerate and Grandevo. There are no visible signs of russet mites anywhere in the garden.

We did get a bad aphid infestation on one of our plants, which is something I have not seen before. Apparently there is a new kind of "cannabis aphid" which growers have been dealing with in Colorado for a few years, and now they have spread to California. Fun times! I dusted the whole plant with sulfur powder, 10 pounds of it! after a few days the aphids have disappeared. The sulfur did slightly burn the growth tips when it reacted with our foliar nutrient spray, but it happened before flowering began so the buds should be unaffected. These cannabis aphids are disgusting, i hope they aren't a big problem in the future. Increased insect populations is of course one of the effects of climate change, so i dont expect them to go away.

Our genetics are performing wonderfully. All the biggest plants in the garden are from our seeds. The Purple Sprite, Ancient OG, and Yosemite Glue are blowing everything else out of the water! As i mentioned in my previous post, we plan to start selling seeds soon. Our summer breeding project went well and we are about a week away from harvesting it. I am hoping for a decent amount of beans. I will post some pictures and more info on that later.

Watering: We cut back a bit after a few plants showed signs of overwatering. We were giving them 60-80 gallons per day but now they are getting 40-50gallons per day and seem to be taking it better. It seems we are always trying to dial in our watering regimen. It might be one of the hardest aspects of growing big plants. I need to learn to use my moisture meter! The damn thing gives me different readings within a few inches of each-other, so i never know what i'm dealing with (probably operator error).

Anyway, enough from me for now. Here's some pictures from last week..

Female deer enjoying the sunset from the upper plot:
7o5wrGNh.jpg

Big Sun:
LMuDxcrh.jpg
]

Lower Plot:
19CQz93h.jpg

RpvvutYh.jpg

Datura patch with Ancient OG f4 in background:
oN4n4xRh.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Lava Flow (Strawberry Milk x Ancient OG)

Lava Flow (Strawberry Milk x Ancient OG)

This plant was started a couple weeks later than the rest, but she caught up just fine. Great structure and beatiful color. Can't wait to see how the flowers look!

g8bIfLxh.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Fanta (Ancient OG x Mandarina)

Fanta (Ancient OG x Mandarina)

This is our biggest Fanta. She is the one who had an aphid infestation. In the picture you can see a bit of sulfur dust on the side of the plant.

EyppuEuh.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Space Monkey (gg4 x wookie) - Bodhi Seeds

Space Monkey (gg4 x wookie) - Bodhi Seeds

The space monkey is a very bushy strain, they seem to want to grow wider than tall. This one is especially round:

DcND049h.jpg

Shcrews

DO WHO YOU BE
Veteran
Ancient OG f2

Ancient OG f2

The AOG f2's we are growing this year are from a different female than the ones we have been breeding with for a few years now. I think these ones produce slightly better flowers, though the plants themselves don't get quite as big. I expect some trichome-coated berry cream funk. The one in this picture has some strange companion plants which grew there naturally by themselves. Datura and some kind of monster jungle grass.

zPkDvsKh.jpg

Zeez

---------------->
ICMag Donor
Schrews, You're killing it man.

You are the undisputed king of the giants and you live in a place that looks like paradise to the rest of us. Awesome job!

Gypsy Nirvana

Recalcitrant Reprobate -
Administrator
Veteran
- Well - you have been around for at least 12 years old chap - and its quite evident from your wonderful photographs and text that you know what you are doing - so far as growing lots of gorgeous cannabis varieties is concerned - and growing them BIG - like many aspire to do - but don't quite have the space - or security - or know-how to do it -

- so credit where credit is due -

Gypsy himself calling me respected member, and i have my first 5-star thread... I feel like i've finally made it in life!

:headbange:groupwave:

40degsouth

Hey Schrews,
congratulations, l personally feel like you made it a long time ago.
It would be fantastic for me if you considered Seedbay as an option for your genetics. My geographical location prevents me from accessing a lot of the breeders I’d like to run; l have bought seeds from Seedbay without loosing my purchase, several times in the past.
Good luck for the next couple of months and know that I’m sending you, your wife, Bud-e(vil) and his new girlfriend, all my best wishes.
Cheers,

Last edited: