What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Swazi (IBL Lower Puna )

Lolo94

Started 12 Swazi seeds stored since January 2011. 10 germinated and 9 survived. Strain is originally from Swaziland but inbred in Hawaii (lower Puna) since the mid 80s. Have had it since the early 90s. Here is a pic (hopefully the attachment shows up). At day 8.

Attachments

• Swazi_Day 8.jpg
    Swazi_Day 8.jpg
    86.6 KB · Views: 34
You can check on my profile on albums I have some pics of trees that were grown from seeds from Swaziland. Should be close to what you are growing which is Swazi Gold.

Lolo94

You can check on my profile on albums I have some pics of trees that were grown from seeds from Swaziland. Should be close to what you are growing which is Swazi Gold.

It looks similar, but I've never heard it called gold. The finished plants typically cure to a very light green color. In Hawaii, they grew to 8 feet + normally and harvest was at the end of October to early November. It could also be grown short season unlike the longer sativa's

Over in South Africa it is called Swazi Gold. It is a landrace so you will see many landraces are are reffered to as Something + Gold . Often the area name. For example: "Malawi Gold", "Acapulco gold" etc. Swazi Gold.

Lolo94

Very cool. Are these seeds available anywhere?

As Aficaseeds said, Swazi seeds are still available, however I doubt that they would be exactly the same as this Swazi varietal. Even if it was the same genetics, inbreeding for many years in a particular environment would likely alter some of the traits.
I tried Hawaiian grown White Widow in the 90s and it's effects were much more sativa than an indoor Widow, I tried a decade later on the mainland.

Mtn. Nectar

Veteran
gold from curing methods.........Nev’s old line of Swazi x HP/NL.........grew 8-10 footers of pineapple skank......great gear from 80’s.....

squatty

Can I ask how the seeds were stored for all those years?

I've been building my seed stash for our move back to upper Puna in a few years.

Aloha

Lolo94

Can I ask how the seeds were stored for all those years?

I've been building my seed stash for our move back to upper Puna in a few years.

Aloha

Seeds are wrapped in aluminum foil, labelled, and placed in a sealed glass jar with white rice in the refrigerator. Can also vacuum seal the jar for very long storage.

Lolo94

Day 42. All plants transplanted into one pot. Light cycle turned down to 11 hours. Should show sex in the next week or so if it behaves as it does outdoors in Hawaii.
First time growing this strain indoors under LED. Putting multiple plants in pot to keep flowering stretch to a minimum.

Attachments

• Swazi_Day 42-A.jpg
    Swazi_Day 42-A.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 31

Lolo94

Hola.

Day 50. Waiting for them to show sex. Currently at 11 hours light. Outdoors in the tropics, it typically shows sex after 6 to 7 weeks during fall short season grows. Under LED, who knows? Hopefully soon though.

Attachments

• Swazi_Day 50-B.jpg
    Swazi_Day 50-B.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 26

Lolo94

Swazi day 64. Just started showing preflowers. 2 females and 1 male so far. Typically the ratio favors females. When I first reproduced these plants in the early 90s, several outdoor sites were dedicated to open pollination seeding. Sites were well dispersed as Green Harvest flew the area heavily then. A couple of the males showed female flowers very late in flowering. No females, however, showed any male flowers. This may have tipped the ratio more to female. In the 2 reproductions since I haven't seen the same pattern with males showing late female flowers. I figured it was due to the change in environment (when first reproduced) from a more tropical lower puna to cooler, wetter, and higher elevation upper Puna.

We'll see what happens indoors.

Attachments

• Swazi_Day 64_A.jpg
    Swazi_Day 64_A.jpg
    78 KB · Views: 27