What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Human Shit is good Fertiliser

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
They say if you compost it 2 years your good to use it in your vegetable garden. Also if you burry it below ground a foot, and plant on top you are also good. The idea is that the pathogens coming into direct contact with your fruit that you are going to eat is where the danger lies. But we aren't even eating it, we are processing it and lighting it to high temperatures. Fungi spores die at 140F, and most other bacteria and pathogens its 165F.

Human manure has been used for hundreds of years, what you think they used back in 1600-1800 when it was life or death for a farmer to have a crop be fertilized and grow with fertile soil.

So if you have really good Living soil and throw a poop in, that microbial life will break it down in no time. I highly doubt there will be anything left within months.

I will hands down do a sidebyside "shit test". take a fat dump into a 3 gallon nursery pot mixed with a mixture of 33% peat 33% perlite 33% EWC.

with pics.

St. Phatty

This thread has legs.

Does that partially reflect ICMag's mostly male membership ?

re. the germs - you should have a strong immune system if you have a cut on your hand and work in the garden, because normal dirt has serious bacteria, including bacteria that cause "flesh-eating" scenarios.

So yeah there's germs in human poop, but I don't know if that's the main issue - if you're dealing with your own poop.

I think overall it takes an extra 6 months to deal with night soil in the garden.

One community garden I used to belong to, one of the families, there was this guy that liked to make his own soil. He would always grab a double handful of his latest composted steer manure and thrust it in your face, saying, "have a smell !!"

No smell, just dirt, after about 4 months. I think human manure would need more time.

So, bury it deep or give it extra time.

That really would be cool if somebody did a side by side in healthy soil, I remember studying how to properly break down and then store human urine for use as fertilizer, there was a lot of push back even towards that idea, despite the fact that urea is an accepted and trusted source of nitrogen for plants. Science, friend to the world, enemy of Santa.

St. Phatty

That really would be cool if somebody did a side by side in healthy soil, I remember studying how to properly break down and then store human urine for use as fertilizer

I would be interested to hear the details but I don't know if I could implement it.

I use urine every day to water selected plants and as part of the NPK compost tea for the Cannabis plants.

When I let it sit God it smells worse.

Plus there's always more where that came from. I don't like to store it.

The plants really seem to like it, as is. Though maybe they prefer it to be diluted with water.

I would be interested to hear the details but I don't know if I could implement it.

I use urine every day to water selected plants and as part of the NPK compost tea for the Cannabis plants.

When I let it sit God it smells worse.

Plus there's always more where that came from. I don't like to store it.

The plants really seem to like it, as is. Though maybe they prefer it to be diluted with water.
Well initially I was under the impression that urine straight from the source was "too hot" as far as the available nitrogen, likely resulting in burning, much like dog spots on the lawn. My breakdown process was simple aeration, other people do different things and add different microbes to the mix, but after a week in the aerator with a couple drops of superthrive just to toss in random goodies that would help the process along, it was usually much less offensive in odor than when it went in, and relatively stable for bottling and later use.

T

Teddybrae

Do it. Start a grow log. I bet it will be epic.
:biggrin:

Ha Ha! you guys may jest about POO! but one of my sons planted a Sativa on a dunny* can (20 litres of Urine/Shit slop) in some sandy soil and it grew a very dense 8 footer (2.4M) with nice heads. Those who sampled it ... I claim he gave none to me tho he swears he did ... say the smoke tasted mildly of shit. They were all stoned by that time tho' so their judgement can't be trusted.

*Dunny is Australian word for toilet. I suppose all you squeaky cleans say: TWALAY don't you? And probly wear gloves when you go to the dunny! Ha Ha laughing at my own joke and it's only 9am)

Microbeman

The Logical Gardener
ICMag Donor
Veteran
Teddy; Shitter actually. You guys down there in the Aussie bush [and Scots] live like in the city compared to us real bush guys in the Canadian Rockies. We wear mitts not gloves to have a dump. Haha

Last edited:

Klompen

The best growing I have ever done was done with urine. I did an organic soil grow with that as my main fertilizer and they grew like wild in veg. It absolutely must be diluted with water though. Cat and dog pee are way too concentrated for direct use but hypothetically can also be used if diluted heavily(20-to-1 or more). Human urine has a pretty great NPK profile for cannabis. One really should let it sit for a time and then decant it to reduce salt content. Also, if you eat "lite salt"(potassium chloride) in your diet the urine will be much higher in potassium and much lower in sodium.

I would love to hear from someone with more experience on soil science to talk out how the specific components of urine break down into available forms. All I know is it gives me good results. Urine is a lot more sterile than feces though.

Sewer cartels and turd burgers. Made my morning.

Seriously, the collection point is key, as Teddy so eloquently expressed. Effluent flushed to a huge central processing plant will likely never be healthy. There is however real potential for individual household collection of self-waste and composting/vermicomposting.

This points to more than only the recycling of our waste but humans returning to acceptance of responsibility for their own impact on the earth.

These types of actions have transformative powers on the human attitude.
Couldn't have said it better if I edited the post for a week. There's a reason that Japanese researchers have developed some of the best sewage processing microbes in the world, and it's because their culture, as an island culture, has always had a focus on sustainability and responsible treatment of the land, because there is literally no where to go if they ruin their home.

Native Hawaiians practiced a culture of sustainability that would leave your average farmer's market hippie that preaches about it all damn day dumbstruck, simply because there was no other choice.

As we evolve as a species we need to grow, not just our intellects, but our ethics and sense of responsibility for the world around us. Me vs Them, evolves into Us vs Them, which will hopefully someday evolve into the next step, accepting other groups and cultures as equal to our own, and I think a huge part of that will be cultures around the world slowly accepting that humans can cooperate for a better world, or become extinct.

Klompen

Some how a thread about human feces has evolved into talk of world peace...... Who woulda thunk it on a weed forum lol

*takes a hit* "sure we could talk about turds, but what about peace and love?"

Some how a thread about human feces has evolved into talk of world peace...... Who woulda thunk it on a weed forum lol

*takes a hit* "sure we could talk about turds, but what about peace and love?"
More like, choose between life and love, or death and destruction, but yeah :D in a world that is on the edge of collapse due to overpopulation and resource abuse, we have to seriously consider things that would be regarded as taboo or jokes in a less polluted world. This planet can watch our species die within the next couple hundred years, the be replaced by whatever comes after, or it can watch us grow into the stewards we were meant to be. "Doing the best for the group, in order to do the best for yourself." - John Nash.

Dog Star

Veteran
Thats BS... India have over billion people while still cows are important element
of their culture and very praised animal cause she care about people giving them
milk and very quality manure that made soil good for growing veggies and fruits...

Westerners already turn to their own shit cause they forgott what made good
agriculture and how to feed self in a healthy way... West trive for synthetics
and adore to made stupidities that in the end give blowback to a same ones
that invented those lame praxis..

Its not whithouth a reason cow is a saint animal in India culture... knowledge is
much deeper on this beneficial animals then in a West..

PaulieWaulie

Veteran
The best growing I have ever done was done with urine. I did an organic soil grow with that as my main fertilizer and they grew like wild in veg. It absolutely must be diluted with water though. Cat and dog pee are way too concentrated for direct use but hypothetically can also be used if diluted heavily(20-to-1 or more). Human urine has a pretty great NPK profile for cannabis. One really should let it sit for a time and then decant it to reduce salt content. Also, if you eat "lite salt"(potassium chloride) in your diet the urine will be much higher in potassium and much lower in sodium.

I would love to hear from someone with more experience on soil science to talk out how the specific components of urine break down into available forms. All I know is it gives me good results. Urine is a lot more sterile than feces though.

I mixed my urine with water, 1-2 pees to 1 Gallon of water, and fed it to my herb plants this summer, they all died.

How long should you let urine sit? what is the process and benefit? What are your dilution rates? thanks. I eat pretty healthy, so no processed foods, and just the salt I manually apply to my meals thanks.

St. Phatty

How would you flush the toilet if you didn't have any running water ?

It's easy to do. A bit smelly though.

Americans are so used to wasting water that when the full impact of other wasteful processes like fracking is known, they might have to learn how to flush the toilet without running water.