What's new
  • Please note members who been with us for more than 10 years have been upgraded to "Veteran" status and will receive exclusive benefits. If you wish to find out more about this or support IcMag and get same benefits, check this thread here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

PIZZA...

watts

ohms
Veteran
The fresh mozzarella that's watery is good for wood-fire oven pizza, like Neapolitan style. Like hyposomniac above said, whole milk mozzarella shredded yourself is best but Grande makes some of the best pre-shredded, it's what a lot of the top pizzerias use. If you wanna bake pro pizzas in your oven I recommend a 1/2" steel plate. Once preheated for around an hour @ 500-550F. it can cook a pizza in 5 minutes or less.

Nerd+Chef+Steel+Stone-6.jpg

watts

ohms
Veteran
Now that stuff in the water is all i use or preshredded..the water cheese needs drying, but the pre grated stuff is sometimes ok. I havent got it dialed in yet just the basics, mine is really oily going by that recipe...like 10% vs 1%.

Every recipe is different. NY style uses around 1% olive oil and chicago thin-crust style uses around 8% olive oil or 6% vegetable oil and 2% olive oil to save money.

watts

ohms
Veteran
Chicago, Cracker Style Pizza Dough:

Flour 100.00%
Salt 1.50%
Sugar(optional) 1.50%
Compressed yeast 0.25%
*Olive oil 8.00%
Unsalted butter(optional)4.00%
Water (variable)(70F) 45.00%

* For economy, a blend of 2% olive oil and 6% vegetable oil can be substituted for the olive oil.

Directions:
(Thin crust)

1) Add the water to the mixing bowl, than add the salt and sugar to the water.

2) Add the flour, followed by the compressed yeast and butter if used.

3) Begin mixing at low speed and gradually pour in the oil over about 60 seconds.

4) Continue mixing for a total of about 4 to 5 minutes at low speed, or until about 1/4 of the flour is still seen as white, dry flour in the mixer.

5) Transfer the dough mix to a plastic tub and cover to prevent drying.

6) Allow the dough to ferment/rise in the tub for 4 to 5 hours.

7) Bring the dough to the bench and scale into desired weight pieces, then form into balls.

8) Place the dough balls into dough boxes, wipe lightly with oil, and cross stack in the cooler for two (2) hours. Down stack the dough boxes and nest to prevent drying.

9) Remove dough balls from the cooler 2 hours before anticipated use, and allow to warm at room temperature.

10) Flatten the dough ball(s) by hand and feed into the sheeter/roller to give a finished skin of desired thickness.

11) Trim the dough to the desired diameter using a knife or pizza cutter.

12) Apply slices of Mozzarella cheese to the dough skin, followed by the sauce and toppings.

13) Pizzas can be baked on the deck/stone or on a screen/disk if desired.

PROCEDURE
(Thick crust)

For making a Chicago style thick crust, the following formula modifications are
suggested.
a) Include the optional unsalted butter in the formula for improved flavor.
b) Increase the dough water to 50% of the weight of the flour.

Procedure Changes
1) Increase the weight of the dough balls to be appropriate for the diameter of pizza crusts being made.

2) Adjust the sheeter roll settings to give a sheeted dough piece approximately 1/4 -inch thick.

3) Cut the dough piece to the desired diameter using a knife or pizza cutter.

4) Place the cut/trimmed dough skin into a dark colored (anodized finish) deep dish (2 -inches deep) pan that has been oiled with salad oil or an olive oil/salad oil blend.

5) Allow the panned dough to rise for about 45 to 60 minutes.

6) Using your fingers, carefully pull some of the dough up the sides of the pan to form a raised edge.

7) Apply sliced Mozzarella cheese to the dough surface of the dough, add the sauce followed by toppings.

8) Bake at 425 to 450F in a deck oven, or at 400 to 415F in an impingement oven. These pizzas should be given a long, slow bake to develop their unique flavor and texture.

Hen

Well I made this today. I know I said it needs at least 12 hours for proofing, but this was a 6 hour quickie. It usually has bigger "bubbles".

MXA9cqJ.jpg

gA5k7XJ.jpg

solcanario

wooow guys
I am Italian but I must admit that your pizzas are good looking!
Obviously they are very different from ours (for many reasons) but are looking very yummy!! I knew that americans love pizza but I was not expecting to see such a good looking ones!
ok now it's time to eat....I got hungry :bump:

Illuminate

Keyboard Warrior
Veteran
So i havent made pizza for about a week and a half now, im going to maybe use a real bread oven at the weekend.

TANO

🍒
Veteran
From Italy

From Italy

The Queen of Pizzas
Margherita
Tomate and Mozzarella
cooked in a wood oven

picture.php

indabonga

Cannabis ****
Veteran
White pizza with mozzarella and walnuts.. A the end of cooking, ham (San Daniele or Parma) and burrata. TOP

rod58

this is my creation . homemade tomato sauce , onion , sliced tomato , olives , peperoni and bacon and then the cheeses ..just cheddar and then some parmesan ..love pizza night !
picture.php
picture.php

Gry

[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]You have already rated this post. [/FONT]

shithawk420

Veteran
i'll fucking tell you why shithawk .. when you live in a remote area then you use what you have in the fridge . even if its kraft singles ! lol

I didn't even know you guys got Kraft down under! I'm just busting your balls.use whatever you got bro! Gotta admit though.you guys eat lamb and don't even have decent cheese? Lol

I live in bumfuckt Egypt so I know how it is! Lol

rod58

I didn't even know you guys got Kraft down under! I'm just busting your balls.use whatever you got bro! Gotta admit though.you guys eat lamb and don't even have decent cheese? Lol

well we borrowed the kraft from you guys for our kids lunch which we then spread with the food of all foods ..vegemite ! a top combination .

shithawk420

Veteran
I'm sorry but I can't say Vegemite with a straight face. I love Men at work and Everytime I think of that song.he literally throws him a big ass Vegemite sandwich.i think the song is " it's a mistake". fucking love that group.too bad the sax player died