What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Pose2B clone grow by Onavelzy

onavelzy

Veteran
Do or die time

Do or die time

Every one is potted up except the rootless DT7.
picture.php

The newly potted GG4's are in the center and bottom right. Kaya is bottom left, Adubbs upper right and DT7 upper left

The winner of the award for "Best Roots" were the Adubbs. Kaya was a good 2nd, tied with the stronger of the gg4's

I'm curious how folks do their coco. I didn't want bugs, so I've been boiling up a bunch of water and soaking the coco in that. Then I have to rinse it to cool it down. Both the boil and cool down water were tap, for better or worse. After draining off what fluid I could (big ass storage container, not conducive to sieving off the water using just the lid to hold back the coco), I "pre-charged" with a couple of gallons of 1/3rd strength VnB, drained that off and then potted up. Probably not an efficient way to do it but hopefully not a way that's going to cause damage.

The ones I potted last night are droopy. They seemed a little better this evening compared to the morning look-in. I think after all the changes of the last couple of weeks, they probably are just needing to be left alone for a while. Next couple of days will be telling.

Not much more for me to do but feed and try to fine tune the environment.

Edit: I thought of a question for the folks that use smart pots or similar fabric containers: How do you LST? It seems like you'd have to put in stakes or some kind of mini-tomato cage to have something to anchor the ties to. I was envisioning using the scrog netting down the road, presuming the growth patterns of the different strains allow that. But until then, what's a way to help get some spread?

Evening addendum: The Kaya was starting to look pretty stressed so I turned off the light early. The leaves were starting to really hang down. The temps were mid range, 79. The soil feels moist, not wet. We'll see what the morning brings. I did move the light back up to the top of the tent after I shut it off. I'll look into watering in the morning. the soil feels moist though.

Last edited:

Aspenou812

Veteran
View Image

The newly potted GG4's are in the center and bottom right. Kaya is bottom left, Adubbs upper right and DT7 upper left

The winner of the award for "Best Roots" were the Adubbs. Kaya was a good 2nd, tied with the stronger of the gg4's

I'm curious how folks do their coco. I didn't want bugs, so I've been boiling up a bunch of water and soaking the coco in that. Then I have to rinse it to cool it down. Both the boil and cool down water were tap, for better or worse. After draining off what fluid I could (big ass storage container, not conducive to sieving off the water using just the lid to hold back the coco), I "pre-charged" with a couple of gallons of 1/3rd strength VnB, drained that off and then potted up. Probably not an efficient way to do it but hopefully not a way that's going to cause damage.

The ones I potted last night are droopy. They seemed a little better this evening compared to the morning look-in. I think after all the changes of the last couple of weeks, they probably are just needing to be left alone for a while. Next couple of days will be telling.

Edit: I thought of a question for the folks that use smart pots or similar fabric containers: How do you LST? It seems like you'd have to put in stakes or some kind of mini-tomato cage to have something to anchor the ties to. I was envisioning using the scrog netting down the road, presuming the growth patterns of the different strains allow that. But until then, what's a way to help get some spread?

Evening addendum: The Kaya was starting to look pretty stressed so I turned off the light early. The leaves were starting to really hang down. The temps were mid range, 79. The soil feels moist, not wet. We'll see what the morning brings. I did move the light back up to the top of the tent after I shut it off. I'll look into watering in the morning. the soil feels moist though.

I take it out of the bag and pre charge it with tap and a light solution.... no bugs in my coco so far...

Go grab some of those heavy duty black spring clips.... Like you clip stacks of paper together.... clip them to the sides and use a string on it..... simple....

onavelzy

Veteran
I take it out of the bag and pre charge it with tap and a light solution.... no bugs in my coco so far...

Go grab some of those heavy duty black spring clips.... Like you clip stacks of paper together.... clip them to the sides and use a string on it..... simple....

genius solution, thx.

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
every brand of coco i have ever gotten comes with its own colony of spring tails !!! but they're harmless to the plants so it really is of no concern . i just put a few sticky traps around to catch the fliers ......

dansbuds

Retired from the workforce Bullshit
ICMag Donor
Veteran
View Image

ona i used to use the heavy duty paper clips & pipe cleaners on my pots . i know they'd work on fabric pots .
picture.php

onavelzy

Veteran
Collective genius

Collective genius

Thx youse two. I really didn't want to have negotiate my way around a bunch of 3ft tall bamboo stake sticking up out if all of the pots. Guaranteed poke in the eye. I'm already whacking my head on the corner of the light.

Have a good day, Ona

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran

Add a bifenthrin to your regular watering mix once a week and then water till a slight amount of runoff as you usually would and you'll be all set.

81riSZhwgCL._SY355_.jpg

You can purchase 3/4 gallon containers of "Bifen I/T" on Amazon for about $35. You'll need about 1.5oz per 10 gallons of water, so it'll last a HELL of a long time.

81bBtoprH6L._SX355_.jpg

Bifenthrin also works great for household indoor / outdoor spraying for generic pests (ants / spiders / etc). Get yourself a cheap garden sprayer and toss it in. Roughly 8 oz will cover most yards in SD.

maxmurder

Veteran
nice thread onavelzy- thanks for sharin.
is velzy still around?
I used to hear that name a lot when I was a grom,
my dad and his longboard buddies used to say that name a lot talkin 'bout the "ole days",
"before leashes,
you had to swim for your mistakes !"
dear ole dad

onavelzy

Veteran
Hahaha, swim for your mistakes, that's it right there . No, he's been gone a bit. Quite a legacy though, Fwiw, you're the first who ever commented on him. One of these days I'll figure out how to get a respect pic up for him. By lucky chance, I got one of his long boards back in around 1992 ish. I actually passed on a chance to get one of his paddle boards around 15 yrs ago. Worst decision of my life. Hand made Dale Velzy paddle board made for Catalina run. Fuck. Live and learn.

Thanks for checking in man.

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Critters?

Critters?

Add a bifenthrin to your regular watering mix once a week and then water till a slight amount of runoff as you usually would and you'll be all set.

View Image
You can purchase 3/4 gallon containers of "Bifen I/T" on Amazon for about $35. You'll need about 1.5oz per 10 gallons of water, so it'll last a HELL of a long time.

View Image
Bifenthrin also works great for household indoor / outdoor spraying for generic pests (ants / spiders / etc). Get yourself a cheap garden sprayer and toss it in. Roughly 8 oz will cover most yards in SD.

Hi Terp, how's it? Thanks. I'll begin as soon as I can be sure they'll get though the trauma of up-potting. Thx for coming round.

Have a great weekend,

Ona

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ona you should buy some GRIT GUARDS and sit your pots on them inside your drip pans they will elevate your roots, soggy bottoms can lead to trouble..... it's a device made for a 5 gallon bucket when you wash cars it's like an elevated screen so your brush won't pick up dirt from the bottom..... I used them when my set up was all hand watered... there not very high an inch maybe..... you water till runoff and then suck the excess fluids into the shop vac......

onavelzy

Veteran
Aaarrggh! something else to buy!!. That's a good idea A. The small circular drain trays are a temporary deal until i spring for the larger tray like you have and set up a feed and drain system. I've wavering between the one with the higher sides vs one with approx 3 inch high sides. Since the plants are just into those 2 g bags, I'm likely going to be able to continue to hand feed for a bit. We just have to get out of this transplant shock BS. Bunch of snivelers. Hey plants, It's a bigger house dammit! More room, more food. Wise up. Or just die then, if it's that big a deal for you. I've got some Zamadelica seeds that would luv, luv, luv to take your place.

Long day at work, just got home. My tolerance is low bout now. It's never very high, but after 12 hrs, it's just not.

No updates. Everyone is still droopy and non-appreciative.

Team Snivel
picture.php

Kaya, my bellweather
picture.php

I am wounded by this. Wounded I tell you. Next thing, what, they're gonna start doing drugs?

GG4: "Dudette, so, what? Are you carrying? Set me up with something good? How about some of those Auxins? Or that Gibberellawhatever the fuq its called?"
Adubb: "Nope, can't help ya Missy, I got diddly."
GG4: "Well, you're definitely floating on something. What up? Where's the fire?"
Adubb: "No, you don't wanna know about what I've been doing. I messed up. Big time. I got to huffing the Ethelene and now I can't get off it. Don't tell that geezer dude with the watering can. He'll blow up again."
GG4: "Bitch, what kind of snitch you think I am?"
Adubb: " The kind that wants my center spot under the light, so just keep your mouth shut and stand off. And don't you ever go near the big E, you hear me? You don't want to end up like me"
GG4: "Uh, no shit, dumbass. I don't wanna mess with that volatile shit. I just want a touch, something to get down to my roots and get me rilly purring. Know what I mean?"
Adubb: "Lol, you and every other doper. 'S ok. don't listen to me. Your day will come."
GG4: "Yaawn. What?"

Ona

Last edited:

mtntrogger

Veteran
This thread is awesome ! Best name ever. Can't wait for more. Solid start man. I'm all up in this one !

onavelzy

Veteran
Hi Mtn, thx for dropping by. Glad you've liked it. It's a little different than some, goes a bit long sometimes, but one of my goals is to make both of us smile or laugh every day.

Take care, Ona

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ona these are the Grit guards http://www.chemicalguys.com/Grit_Guard_Insert_p/gritguard.htm?1=1&CartID=0
elevating those pots will go a long way in keeping them healthy even after you buy your tray, with the plants sitting an inch in the air the bottoms will dry out and even out the moisture content of all the pots and your roots will air prune themselves even on the bottom...... If i wasn't using the AIR POTS you would see them in the bottom of my tray..... the air pots have a one inch space at the bottom of the pot...... to keep the roots out of stale solution....

onavelzy

Veteran
A good night's rest (until the dogs started barking at 6:00) made for a more hospitable and tolerant morning. The plants have come back somewhat, cleary less droopy. Tincture of time

I did a feed of all the plants tonight, first feed in the larger pots. Normal strength (EC at 1.1-1,2) and mixed in some mycorrhizae stuff too. The two gallon fabric containers are going to require me to tune up my feeding game. I used about 3.5 gallons for the 6 pots and the one smaller solo cup. I would use a total of about a half to 2/3 of a gallon when they were in the plastic cups.

I'm still considering how to do the RO water. I'll likely end up buying an RO filter but not settled on the gpd size or the degree of filtering that I should get. I also haven't figured out the best place to put it. That will depend on the size of the set up and the complexity of the hook up

If I transfer the whole process out to the garage, it makes every aspect of the grow simpler except temperature control and pest management. Opposite is true if I stay indoors for this or future grows. The garage would require some refitting though, even if I use the tent, so have to factor in those costs too. It's a hobby, and despite what I've spent so far, it's been cheaper than what I have spent getting started in previous hobbies, like golf or even surfing. At some point though, the spending can't continue to be the hobby.

Well, wordy tonight, as always. Time to give it a rest and do a foliar of some Magnesium, I promised the plants a treat if they started to pretend to like it here.

Take care and have a fun weekend,

Ona

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Looking up, but some leaf changes too

Looking up, but some leaf changes too

The sullen, droopy look has pretty much gone away in all of the plants. Last night I noticed that some of the plants, the Adubbs especially, had started to show yellowing on their lower leaves. The change came up quickly, over the course of the day. I fed them all and also did a foliar spray with diluted nutes and some added magnesium.

Here's how they look this evening:

Team photo:
picture.php

Same positions as the group photo from a couple of days ago, Adubbs on the upper right, GG4 lower right and middle, Kaya lower left, DT7 upper left, Zombie DT7 in solo cup, over in the outer limits on the left

Adubbs showing yellow. And staying lanky too:
picture.php

Dubtech 7 showing other leaf changes, ? cause
picture.php

I haven't been commenting much on the temps in the tent lately. I learned a few things, figured out a few things and changed a few things. Today, the temps in the tent stayed in the mid-70's all day without any open windows and also without the exhaust fan on. It started to get into the low 80's in there by later afternoon but turning on the fan, opening a window and the door outside corrected that.

How did this miracle occur? Well, I learned that if you place the thermometer thingie flat on the floor facing up, it shows a temp at least 8 degrees warmer than if you keep it standing up on its bottom edge. I also learned from Hammerhead that venting the tent in the room was a stupid idea. Problem for me is I don't have a good other place to send that hot air. There is an adjacent window, but it's covered by plantation shutters. I have been advised that I am not going to be "altering" those shutters to allow passage of the ducting. I also don't want to leave the shutters wide open as I want to preserve security as much as possible from those who walk by that window.

Trailer Trash MacGyver to the rescue:
picture.php

It works.

I spent the entire day re-reading some threads and asking questions, trying to get ready for the next hills to climb. I ordered the grit guards for my pots to sit on that Aspenou recommended a few posts ago. Pretty ingenious grower she is: using bucket guards for car detailers to instead elevate fabric bags for drainage. They look like they will be a very functional and elegant way to prevent the bottoms of those fabric bag things from getting waterlogged. My engineering solutions to problems, like the window vent attachment or putting the pots up on some old gardening books to provide insulation from the cold tile floor, are not so elegant.

Ok, I'm over my word limit again. At least there were pictures tonight.

Have a great week. I'm looking forward to the upcoming harvests for the growers whose threads I spent the day on today. They're all looking amazing.

Ona

Last edited:

Aspenou812

Veteran
Ona the saucers go on the floor of the tent, the grit guards go on the saucers, and the fabric pots go on the grit guards...... You look to be over feeding and over watering..... your plants are very young..... You haven't allowed the root system to grow.... the last thing you need now is multi feeds..... Let those pots sit and dry almost completely dry... your roots will grow in search of water, slow down let them do their thing, the first week i have clones planted in coco i water every 3 days when the pots start to go dry faster i slowly increase the feedings, It's the Pre Vege stage..... the cuttings i have flowering now, came in the door sat in there tiny clone shipper cups for two weeks, then they were just about rootbound i moved them into the 2 gallon air pots... I hand water those air pots or flip the switch manually when they need water they dont stay any where near saturated, still allowing them to dry out to 60% " I have a very nice moisture meter for two weeks of vege, the last two weeks of vege i multi feed a massive thriving root system that can easily handle the wet conditions..... and I think you're feeding to heavy. Back it down most of your plants just have 6 to 8 branches.... your plants won't get any wider until you train them and have the root system booming... you have the right equipment just slow down..... the first 4 weeks of a plant's life should be more about what you cant see above the soil.... when you have a solid root system your plants will stand tall and go completely nuts.... And i know everyone has there own ways..... This is what has worked for me, I grow my roots first then my plants then my flowers....... you just up potted again give them time to fill those pots with roots the larger plants i would top and lst asap, start working on the shape you want them to be..... you're doing good just be patient.....

Last edited:

onavelzy

Veteran
Ona the saucers go on the floor of the tent, the grit guards go on the saucers, and the fabric pots go on the grit guards...... You look to be over feeding and over watering..... your plants are very young..... You haven't allowed the root system to grow.... the last thing you need now is multi feeds..... Let those pots sit and dry almost completely dry... your roots will grow in search of water, slow down let them do their thing, the first week i have clones planted in coco i water every 3 days when the pots start to go dry faster i slowly increase the feedings, It's the Pre Vege stage..... the cuttings i have flowering now, came in the door sat in there tiny clone shipper cups for two weeks, then they were just about rootbound i moved them into the 2 gallon air pots... I hand water those air pots or flip the switch manually when they need water they dont stay any where near saturated, still allowing them to dry out to 60% " I have a very nice moisture meter for two weeks of vege, the last two weeks of vege i multi feed a massive thriving root system that can easily handle the wet conditions..... and I think you're feeding to heavy. Back it down most of your plants just have 6 to 8 branches.... your plants won't get any wider until you train them and have the root system booming... you have the right equipment just slow down..... the first 4 weeks of a plant's life should be more about what you cant see above the soil.... when you have a solid root system your plants will stand tall and go completely nuts.... And i know everyone has there own ways..... This is what has worked for me, I grow my roots first then my plants then my flowers....... you just up potted again give them time to fill those pots with roots the larger plants i would top and lst asap, start working on the shape you want them to be..... you're doing good just be patient.....

While I do use a lot of words, as Mrs Klingler, my 5th grade language arts teacher told me, clarity in writing is not my strong point. I compared your nice solution to letting the pots dry to my solution for a different problem in the same sentence. I corrected the phrasing.

I'm actually not in any rush. No plans to multi-feed any time soon. I am preparing to be able to multifeed when I need to do so. I do, however, appreciate the guidance and the expert eye in figuring out where I need to tighten things up and the suggestions for how to do so. You have set a high standard for the rest of us to work toward.

Terpene

I love the smell of cannabis in the morning
Veteran
Aspen is completely spot on. :tiphat:

Back when I started, a good friend told me to back off watering as well. His advice:

"Water your pots, then pick them up and get used to the weight of a wet pot. Every day when you come in from there on, pick your pots up and see how they feel. If they're still heavy, back off. If they feel light, water them."

Its stupid simple, but I still use that technique with all my non SIP containers to this day.:huggg: