What's new
  • Happy Birthday ICMag! Been 20 years since Gypsy Nirvana created the forum! We are celebrating with a 4/20 Giveaway and by launching a new Patreon tier called "420club". You can read more here.
  • Important notice: ICMag's T.O.U. has been updated. Please review it here. For your convenience, it is also available in the main forum menu, under 'Quick Links"!

Camera advice needed

B

bigganjabud

Hi

Basically I want a decent cheap digital camera for my bud shots
(Did have a brilliant 20mp camera on my phone but phone got stolen)
So my budget is about £80

Any tips or suggestions as to what to look for

Really don't mind make or model it is just i need that blurry background feature that makes buds really stand out

Help a brother out please

Christmas is coming and my Mrs seems to know Santa directly as every year she asks what I want

And I always get it ..........so what direction should I point Santa in ?????

What's a bridge digital camera got different to a normal digital camera?

Dion

in a similar spot so looking at a used canon powershot G11 off ebay

supposed to have better macro than dslr plus can run CHDK to do time lapse

havnt decided yet-hope other give info

OlDirtyHuman

I used to have a G9 til it broke. The G series are great cameras, but they aren't the sturdiest and it can be a gamble getting one used.

If you can find a good deal on one that you know has been taken care of get it and a remote flash setup then you can do things like this guy.

If you can afford to spend around £200 you can get a dslr or mirrorless camera with a macro lens and get shots like these alot easier than you could with a point and shoot camera.

Photography can get pretty expensive if you get into so be careful. I ended up shooting corporate events to support my habit.

chronosync

Well-stoned member
Depth of field

Depth of field

cool pix are good. i like Panasonic lumix, got one real cheap at a pawn.

the fuzzy background thing is what happens when the lense is adjusted to a large aperture.

they call this depth of field.

look for any camera with manual settings or manual override features. i believe the term to look for is "aperture priority" or if it has priority modes.

also having high megapixels doesnt always equal high quality photos. optics and the quality of the sensor, the overall build as well as the software that translates the light into a digi picture contribute largely to good pictures as well.

i have a 14 mp camera that takes great shots
Panasonic Lumix FH22

the new DMC models have great optics and are pretty cheap.

i like it because its compact but not tiny, metal body, not plastic, and it takes pretty good shots/ it doesnt have manual functions but it will do the depth of field thing if you play around with it.

Attachments

• P1040451.jpg
    P1040451.jpg
    40.3 KB · Views: 71
  • P1040452.jpg
    P1040452.jpg
    54.8 KB · Views: 70
  • P1040455.jpg
    P1040455.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 66
  • P1040460.jpg
    P1040460.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 65

Dion

i ended up getting the sony A5000

its pretty good, i woudl have prefered to get the N5 or whatever but it was too expensive

o can live without hotshoe flash for a few years

ive been playing with a 35mm lens reversed onto a 135mm lens for about 4;1 magnification

depth of field is tricky

but its fun

Sivas

80 GBP is not a lot to work with, You might want to save for a better camera + lens, maybe try a reversed lens as does Dion. What You pay for is what You get in cameras.
I have a pentax k10d with a 60mm 2.8f macro, its only 10mpx but worth for ist ccd sensor, waterproofness, makes nice pictures for online sharing and documentation purposes and of course blured background.
You could try some of the newer Pentaxes that got more mpx , dont be afraid of a second hand camera as it comes in good conditions, I mean not many frames shooted.